Getting back in a salon after a break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've just found this forum and i thought, surely there must be someone that's been or in my boat? That may have their own stories to share, I've been hairdressing 30+ years, had a 5 year break and I've now got a job back in a salon, I start tomorrow! Eeeckkk.... My let down is colour and techniques, and I have a full head of foils in tomorrow... Words that come to mind.. What have I done?
I trained with caps, spatula and comb, hardly did foils or I got out of it... And I don't know where to start, let alone trying to look confident to the client. X

Maybe you shouldn't do it if you haven't trained in it. Take a courses or watch some YouTube videos. I personally like thatblondegirlmandie. Check her out!

I also wouldn't do it if you don't have much practice because it's a long old process and if it's not done right it will definitely show! Watch some of the other girl at the salon :)

Maybe you shouldn't do it if you haven't trained in it. Take a courses or watch some YouTube videos. I personally like thatblondegirlmandie. Check her out!
Thank you!I will have a look x

I also wouldn't do it if you don't have much practice because it's a long old process and if it's not done right it will definitely show! Watch some of the other girl at the salon :)
Yes! Your right, I've been honest and open with the owner about my lack of confidence with colour, I'm prepared to pay for my colour course, as its in my own interest, cause I'm self employed at the salon x

Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine :) but my first full head of highlights took me like three hours when I was training haha! Poor lady was getting a bit fed up [emoji23] x

Just seen your post.....hope it's going ok for you......
Take it slow and steady...only book what your confident in to start with...don't over stretch yourself just yet.
Lucky for you, balayage is all the rage, and I'm guessing you would have done that back in the day, I know I did, and I've been in this industry 30+ years like yourself.
Good luck. :)

If you're self employed it's entirely up to you who you book in so don't book in colour clients until you've practised and are more confident. Just tell the salon owner.
Also, you're responsible for organising your own training if you're self employed.
Basically, the salon owner is just your landlord, not your boss.

It's like driving a car , you never forget but do get out of practice I guess,

When I do a full head I sometimes do 3 different blonde shades in a brickwork foil formation so there is a lot of practice needed to get it right and all the highlights blended. I find meche easier and quicker personally.

Maybe get a mannaquin head and practice foiling or meching a full head and see what your colleagues think?

Then they can reassure you that you can do a good job and get your confidence up

You'll get back into it!

Good luck x

Take it slow and steady...only book what your confident in to start with...don't over stretch yourself just yet.
Lucky for you, balayage is all the rage, and I'm guessing you would have done that back in the day, I know I did, and I've been in this industry 30+ years like yourself.

I hate balayage!! I feel sick looking at it. it's mostly brassy and usually brassy is something I would try to cover!

Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine :) but my first full head of highlights took me like three hours when I was training haha! Poor lady was getting a bit fed up [emoji23] x
Hiya... Thank you well I've completed foil hi/lo lights and root colour, plus cbw... In 2.5hours... And they turned out lovely I didn't breath all the way through lol I even got a tip, so she must of been happy!

I hate balayage!! I feel sick looking at it. it's mostly brassy and usually brassy is something I would try to cover!

Ash I would like Balayage with 8/3 and lots of 0/33 please, I am Lindi LaHughes from Gimme Gimme Gimme!! Ha ha

Hiya awww thank you! yes when think back to how I was trained, we got the effects as what is the rage now but I have done them now, the salon uses matrix, so I did a hi n lo foil with a root regrowth.. And they did look lovely! 1 of the girls did help with the colour choice and just checked as I went along.. X

Ash I would like Balayage with 8/3 and lots of 0/33 please, I am Lindi LaHughes from Gimme Gimme Gimme!! Ha ha
Yes that's exactly what its like... Crazy when you try to avoid the brass

If you're self employed it's entirely up to you who you book in so don't book in colour clients until you've practised and are more confident. Just tell the salon owner.
Also, you're responsible for organising your own training if you're self employed.
Basically, the salon owner is just your landlord, not your boss.
Yes! Your Totally right! Thank you..

Hiya... Thank you well I've completed foil hi/lo lights and root colour, plus cbw... In 2.5hours... And they turned out lovely I didn't breath all the way through lol I even got a tip, so she must of been happy!

Well done, I suspect you were just nervous at first then as you obviously did it well :)

Lol What's 0/33?

Intense gold. Your worst warmth nightmare haaha

Intense gold. Your worst warmth nightmare haaha

I just vomited in my stomach :D:D

When I first started meche I took around 4-5 hours lol
What blondes do U use for your highlights its sound yummy!!!

I just vomited in my stomach :D:D

When I first started meche I took around 4-5 hours lol
What blondes do U use for your highlights its sound yummy!!!

On a flat virgin base of say 6/0,

Blondor and 3%
12/89 and 9%
9/16 and 12%

I find these process evenly, at similar speeds and create a natural looking blend of blondes.

I don't usually tone the bleach as by the time i've done a full head it is palest yellow.

If from root to ends there is natural variation I vary the peroxide, sometimes having up to 6 different tint bowls, you have to keep your eye on the ball to not forget which is which. A wide trolley helps. Lol

Yeah, it still takes me around 1.5 hours but if they want that look they must be patient and prepared to pay for it lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back