Getting fed up with all the new beauty fads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMABEAUTY

Reaction score
I saw this with the semi (permanent) mascara, training companies pulling in people, saying how great it was. I saw what it does to lashes, the build up is really bad.

I also saw it with a lot of the express lashes, dropping them on, (I know they are meant to be professionally removed) the glue build up is not always good, again training company's selling the next best thing since sliced bread.

I am now seeing it with all the stick on brows, (prepare to get a blast from people who have spent their hard earned) I have seen the idea for many years when I went to China, it's nothing new, using glue to stick a lash type eyebrow to the skin, claiming how they last really does bug me, I'm getting people come in who have had them done, the story is all the same.

I think training companies insult the intelligence of a therapist, seeing them as a target for all this, I feel it will pass like the other fads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well u win some and you lose some.
I thought the same with gel polish and guess what it wasn't a dud it's doing freaking well.
So if you don't take the risk per say and take a ta ta ma chance you can't ta ta ma millions can you?
Nope !
Hahahah xx

Beauty at your finger tips!

Last edited by a moderator:
I trained in semi permanent mascara but removed it from my menu along with a lot of other techs.
I usually like to train in new things coming out but I'm holding fire with the semi permanent brows. I just feel like it will be a fad and not something that clients will keep on having. I can see people having it who have had a chunk waxed out their brow or for say brides who want it for their wedding day but I'm not feeling it.
The stick on brows have been around for a while and haven't really taken off.
Wonder what they will think up next!

Thank you so much Angelina,

It's really getting bad, massive support obviously comes from people who have an interest in the companies or work for them, they are fed info and are like their foot soldiers, repeating what management tell them.

Single hair on brows has been in China for a long time, but all the companies are getting on it now, just like they did the mascara, if they can make xxx before the crash, they are happy. So many poor therapists getting loans and other stuff to boost their income, I'm glad people are thinking hard, as on here it's just lot of company employers promoting, years back salon geek did not like company self promo, it's rife on here.

I'm glad people are thinking hard, as on here it's just lot of company employers promoting, years back salon geek did not like company self promo, it's rife on here.

I don't want to take this thread off topic but feel this comment needs addressed.
Our rules are quite specific on advertising and self promotion on here. The majority of the volunteer Mods duties are keeping the site spam free and to stop self promotion. It is a thankless task as those that we delete and reprimand complain, and now you are complaining we don't do enough.

I shall just clarify the rules, and then let this thread move on.

If someone starts a thread asking about XYZ product then geeks are entitled to give their opinion, good or bad as long as it is professional and factual.
If anyone affiliated with XYZ posts then that is fine too, as long as they have disclosed their connection on their profile and they don't overdo the promotional verbiage and links.

Of course there are ways around this, but we are Mods not detectives and trust that geeks use their common sense and do their own research when XYZ products get mentioned.

as on here it's just lot of company employers promoting, years back salon geek did not like company self promo, it's rife on here.

For the record, suppliers, trainers or educators are permitted respond to posts if asked directly about the services they provide, but without promotional verbiage which includes unnecessary links to websites and/or social networks by way of URLs.

Regarding the Fads, I see your point as some therapists do get caught out, spend a lot on training and stock for the product to sit on a shelf unused.

However, this is where being business savvy makes a difference.
Clients get caught up in fads and if the demand is there should therapists not ride the wave and profit from it while they can.
Maybe it is all about timing?

Regarding the Fads, I see your point as some therapists do get caught out, spend a lot on training and stock for the product to sit on a shelf unused.

However, this is where being business savvy makes a difference.
Clients get caught up in fads and if the demand is there should therapists not ride the wave and profit from it while they can.
Maybe it is all about timing?

I completely agree with this. I think it is about timing

Seen as we are so big on rules here what about this one

5.Thou shalt post constructively

Make your content have a positive point. Posting just to complain without an effort to turn something positive or posting just to say 'is that so?' is a waste of reading space and looks a little whiny.

JMABeauty I am not sure why you are so negative about things you know nothing about. I private messaged you to get my point across but you want to make a show and I'm not sure why.
You have stirred on countless threads including shrinking voilet and permanent make-up, making small minded comments about how bad all these things are that you have zero experience of.

This thread has been edited but originally stated Faceframe.
Faceframe 3D won an innovative beauty award and is insured and endorsed by BABTAC & CIBTAC, yes there are companies who have since released things of the same idea and are having negative feedback but if you had any idea you would know its down to the adhesives.
What happened to the times when therapists got excited over a new innovation and wanted to get involved and give these treatments to their clients,
If you want to tickle feet all day painting the same red polish over and over again, continue to do so but please keep your negativity to yourself.

Seen as we are so big on rules here what about this one

5.Thou shalt post constructively

Make your content have a positive point. Posting just to complain without an effort to turn something positive or posting just to say 'is that so?' is a waste of reading space and looks a little whiny.

JMABeauty I am not sure why you are so negative about things you know nothing about. I private messaged you to get my point across but you want to make a show and I'm not sure why.
You have stirred on countless threads including shrinking voilet and permanent make-up, making small minded comments about how bad all these things are that you have zero experience of.

This thread has been edited but originally stated Faceframe.
Faceframe 3D won an innovative beauty award and is insured and endorsed by BABTAC & CIBTAC, yes there are companies who have since released things of the same idea and are having negative feedback but if you had any idea you would know its down to the adhesives.
What happened to the times when therapists got excited over a new innovation and wanted to get involved and give these treatments to their clients,
If you want to tickle feet all day painting the same red polish over and over again, continue to do so but please keep your negativity to yourself.

I am going to agree with Paige. There is one particular thread on permanent make up where this is very clear.
I would also be interested to hear why someone who doesn't offer a treatment has quite so much to say about it.

We are many of us guilty of pushing the boundaries where site rules are concerned but causing trouble for the sake of it doesn't seem to be appropriate or how most of us behave.

OP - have you experienced being a victim of a beauty fad? Is that why maybe you feel so passionately against them?

I personally think the word 'fad' can also be interpreted as fashion or trend. I don't necessarily think 'fad's' are a bad thing. Lots of things we do and buy in life are fads. Fashion for example, Kate moss wears a tartan skirt, everyone has them in everyone is wearing them spending their money, then kate moss steps out on a PVC skirt. Does this mean folk have been taken the pee of and consumers are out their to waste our money? No I think not. People especially women are fickle creatures, we all want what everyone else has. Some things come in something's go out. No one forces us to buy into things it's personal discretion.

So don't feel so angry how other people chose to spend their time and money. If you think the brow extensions are a waste of money, don't buy into them. No saying other people are stupid for doing so! We give our clients what they want! If my clients wanted stick on moustaches I'd get them. Yes beauty is fashion and it goes in phases but consumers bring products out because there's a need for them, not for everyone. If each salon/therapist offered the same products would there be so many of us? I think not. People want diversity.

I don't disagree with how strongly you feel about your point but don't tar people with the stupid brush when you don't know them or their client x

As a supplier and a therapist this stuff really interests me. Our business is more prone than most to fads and fashions. Choosing new products and treatments will always be a gamble to some extent. The rewards are bigger for those that get in early but so are the risks.
I have missed many opportunities for profit myself but I don't have many regrets. If you stick to your principles of truly believing that the treatment will actually benefit and do no harm to your clients I think you will have success in the long term.

From a supplier's point of view, we are asked on a daily basis; why don't you sell cluster lashes or glue rings or that gel that's supposed to cure allergies? and the simple answer is we don't believe in them. Only time will tell if I'm right to take this approach, but if we miss the odd product or treatment I'm sure there will be another one along soon.

New treatments and so called fads are fabulous they create a buzz in our industry ,keep the media spotlight on our industry and drive new people through our buisness doors
Different people buy into different concepts and ideas we are all individuals
If no one bought out new concepts in beauty you would all eventually be out of work as water down versions of professional treatments always end up on the high street and not a lot of clients keep up constant maintenance treatments
Clients like the fact you as a professional may have a solution for there problems or hang ups ( acne , excess weight unwanted hair or even lack of eyebrows )
Lets face it who's the real winners here the owner of the company who came up with the concept , gave other people's buisness a bit of a boost ( even if temporary ) is probably financially much better off through there concept
....... Or the people sat on an Internet forum moaning about it
Good luck to everyone and there crappy fads hope you make loads of money xxx

New treatments and so called fads are fabulous they create a buzz in our industry ,keep the media spotlight on our industry and drive new people through our buisness doors
Different people buy into different concepts and ideas we are all individuals
If no one bought out new concepts in beauty you would all eventually be out of work as water down versions of professional treatments always end up on the high street and not a lot of clients keep up constant maintenance treatments
Clients like the fact you as a professional may have a solution for there problems or hang ups ( acne , excess weight unwanted hair or even lack of eyebrows )
Lets face it who's the real winners here the owner of the company who came up with the concept , gave other people's buisness a bit of a boost ( even if temporary ) is probably financially much better off through there concept
....... Or the people sat on an Internet forum moaning about it
Good luck to everyone and there crappy fads hope you make loads of money xxx

Fabulous Aesthetic queen, never a truer word spoken! Xx

Latest posts

Back