Getting fed up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I'm not long started in a hair salon doing nails so I know it's early days. I have a few regulars and only do a Saturday there and 2 evenings mobile, but I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with it all and am losing my get up and go! I get 1 client in the salon, 2 if one of the stylists has time for hers which isn't very often, so one service is my rent paid. I work full time during the week in different industry, so I've chosen to work 6 days a week but my God I'm sooo tired!!! My choice I know, but I'm questioning whether it's all worth it and I don't want to be like this. How do I keep my enthusiasm and positivity levels up? We don't get any walk ins, I've done and keep doing all the advertising, facebook, leaflets, promotions etc but every week is the same and its really getting me down. My OH started me off and paid or my shellac training and full starter kit so I feel guilty things are so slow cos he so wants me to succeed (although he's not concerned bout it, that's just all in my head!) I feel I'm falling into this pit and I don't know how to get out. Sat here now ready to load up the car, thinking of better things I could be doing on a lovely sunny day, rather than being in a hot salon waiting for one client. I'm losing my passion......help!

I'm not long started in a hair salon doing nails so I know it's early days. I have a few regulars and only do a Saturday there and 2 evenings mobile, but I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with it all and am losing my get up and go! I get 1 client in the salon, 2 if one of the stylists has time for hers which isn't very often, so one service is my rent paid. I work full time during the week in different industry, so I've chosen to work 6 days a week but my God I'm sooo tired!!! My choice I know, but I'm questioning whether it's all worth it and I don't want to be like this. How do I keep my enthusiasm and positivity levels up? We don't get any walk ins, I've done and keep doing all the advertising, facebook, leaflets, promotions etc but every week is the same and its really getting me down. My OH started me off and paid or my shellac training and full starter kit so I feel guilty things are so slow cos he so wants me to succeed (although he's not concerned bout it, that's just all in my head!) I feel I'm falling into this pit and I don't know how to get out. Sat here now ready to load up the car, thinking of better things I could be doing on a lovely sunny day, rather than being in a hot salon waiting for one client. I'm losing my passion......help!

ive got a few questions Deeders..Is the salon in a back street ? is that why you dont get walk ins ? being in a salon is good experience, future clients like to hear you have done salon work.. whats your ultimate aim in the beauty side ? is it to do clients at home in the evenings ?

The salon is on a main road right in the middle of a residential area and there's a massive car place round the corner. The salon is extremely busy all the time and they get walk ins, but it's only for hair. My aim is to build up my clientele so I can hopefully do full time and give up my day job!! I've got more mobile clients on the other side of town (so can't get to the salon but like me going to them) but I love the salon atmosphere so am desperate to get things going. I really do want to succeed but I'm getting so fed up with it all, it just seems a total waste of my Saturdays at the moment, and I just can't shake the feeling!

Good luck it will take time ive been open 2 years ive got regulars but not half as much as id like or even enough to cover my rent on salon takings alone

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't let yourself be defeated. You need to target the salons hair clients as they are a captive audience.

Some suggestions:
When a client comes in for their hair appointment tell them you have a slot free to do their nails after their hair is finished if they would like it.
Get the hair dressers to help you out by telling their clients about you.
Put a notice on each of the tables infront of the mirrors or stuck to the mirrors with your services and prices plus a shellac promotional leaflet.
Hang around the desk and talk to the hair clients about your products "have you ever had a Shellac treatment before."
Help out with getting the clients drinks in the salon and talk to them about nails as you hand them their drink.

Basically become a familiar friendly approachable face.

Good luck :)

Weezie has good advice, also could you give your 1 client you have in the salon a discount if she provides a new client.. I can image you have a stack of things you could be doing at home instead of waiting for clients to turn up, but I would stay for 3 months at least.

Don't give up!

It is hard work getting clientele but the awards are tremendous once you do.
You need to have a look at a few things.
1st: Always, after you've finished an appointment ask if they wish to rebook back in. It's amazing the amount of people who will.
2nd: Have you tried a Refer A Friend Scheme? I offer clients 50% off for them & a friend. Advertise that out! It does work. Whatever discount you give is up to you.
3rd: Try posting before & after photos up online via your website, Facebook, etc. it's let's people see your work.
4th: I understand than advertising may become hard for you as you have another job. But use that to your advantage. Tell your co workers what you do!! Give them a business card.
5th: Even offer a discount to new customers. Every new customer receives 20% off their first service.

Good luck.
Don't give up. X

Ah thank you everybody for your support and ideas - it really does mean a lot. I actually do 90% of the above because I get so bored and fed up I lend a hand in the salon most weeks - shampooing, rinsing colours, making drinks, sweeping up - so I do use this time to talk to clients and "sell" my wares. I don't do the before and after photos for my FB page though so I will start doing that.

I had one booked client today and the salon had a new client, noticed me there doing nails and booked me after her hair - when I asked her if she wanted to rebook after her service, she told me she only came to our salon cos her mobile was on holiday!!! O well, perhaps mine were better and she'll come back, I gave her my card anyway.

I'm sure it's just a passing phase and I'll spring back sooner rather than later - perhaps I'm just a tad impatient (yes you are, shouts my OH) !!!!! Once again, thanks of everyone's responses xxx

There is a thread on here which I found really interesting, I can't think what it is called if I find it il put it on here. Basically what it was saying was that if you had a free appointment, the appointment before you could offer a "upgrade" say they were having there hands done with shellac or whatever, you could then say you were doing a one day offer to add a pedicure for £x amount when having shellac etc. As it's a one day offer clients may want to have it done because it a offer if this makes sence. That may work with people in the salon having there hair done, this way they know it is a one time discount too and won't expect it everyday so will help to build clients and try get them booked again before they leave xx

The thread is called how to make money in your salon. Can't put the link on as on my phone xx

Latest posts

Back