Getting my nails done

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobdob24

Reaction score
hey guys just some advice really not a beauty therapist im a hairdresser anyway basically going for my 2 weekly infill to my nail tec on monday and everytime i ask her about matte nails she always said they wont be good for me because they chip all the time is this true because ive seen alot of people with matte nails and always look good just dont know to get them done if there going to chip !! any help please thanks in advance

Is she saying matt nails chip all the time, or your nails chip all the time?

If it's matt nails she's referring to, I'm not sure I agree, chipping isn't really related to product, it's down to poor client aftercare, or in some cases poorly applied product (too thick at free edge, insufficient capping at free edge, etc.)

If she's referring to your nails chipping then I'd go with her assessment, if she sees you regularly then she knows what will work for you day-to-day to trust her like you want your hair clients to trust you.

Remember, no-one posts pictures of their week/10 day/2 week old chipped, damaged, nasty nails, they only post pictures of them immediately after they are done so you won't see bad nails. Also the nails you see on Pinterest/Instagram/etc. are predominently bloggers or DIYers and are not expected to last 2/3 weeks that salon/everyday nails are expected to last by paying clients.

thanks for your reply i think she means with my job cos i am heavy handed but ive never chipped a nail at all but she just says they wont b good for me with my job i understand what your saying about instagram nails and stuff i just thought they always look nice but i supose shes been doing my nails for 5 years every 2 week so she knows what shes on about shes the proffessional

Does not make sense at all. Usually the matte is just the Top Coat and I do not see how this can make any difference to chipping .

Maybe she just does not have a Matte Top gel ?

I have been in the business 20 years so know what I am talking about :)

I would maybe bring the subject up again and just ask her to explain what she means. I don't really understand why it would not last as long because it doesn't really matter what product is used, especially if you are saying you have your nail appointment after two weeks then that is reasonable time for them to still be in good condition.

perfect 10kb this is excatley what i thought because my friend is a hairdresser and always loosing nails but she is accident prone and always has hers matte and the polish always last and she goes 3 weeks and i go every 2 with out fail i dont want to challange her because she is the proffesional but its driving me mad i just want matte nails lol i might end up going to get infill and just going somewere else for them gel ing hate go dontht but asked 3 times now and its just a no everytime [emoji23] xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1468407729.563179.jpg

this is what i got last time i asked for matte dont get me wrong i love them but not what i wanted

b beauty i will do this got it wrong going this saturday after work and i will just say look i want matte very politley i spend alot of money there im a loyal client i always recommend people to her salon as my salon dont do nails soo we will see hopefully ill post a picture of matte nails id just thought ad ask more proffessionals before i said anything xx

When I originally trained in gel polish we were taught to not topcoat and cleanse the top colour coat to create a Matte finish, (which means the service isn't as likely to last as long) since then there are matte topcoats, maybe she is still using the no topcoat method?

ohhh i see well i willjyst ask ill just see what she says thankyou for everybodys help xx

CND Shellac doesn't have a Matt Top Coat so they teach to apply two coats of Top Coat and use the 1200 side of a Koala Buffer to remove the shine. It doesn't thin the Top Coat as you have applied two coats and still gives a Matt surface.

I can see why your nail tech says this re matte. The number of layers on the nails can be maximised in the absence of buffing and perhaps a matte top coat isn't available that is compatible with the system she is using.

I don't think that she is necessarily trying to fob you off. It may just be that she wants to be as certain as possible that the work she does on you will last as long as possible.

okies thankyou ill just ask ill say i really like matte but if u dont think theyll last thats fine aww whatever at the end of the day shes the nail tec im the hairdresser and defo dont want her to think am an annoying client shes lovely and been doing my nails for years xx

I do matte nails regularly with no problem at all. If that's what you'd like then if your nail tech can't do it you can always purchase a matte nail polish and just do a top coat afterwards

Latest posts

Back