Getting rid of card machine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the difference for me is I don't retail anything and I literally work 'from home', not a salon/clinic.

I have looked into it for future purposes if I move house and get my dream home salon .. then I will offer more services and retail products so a machine may be more beneficial and certainly looks more professional. :)

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

How about raising the prices by 2.5% and giving people a discount if they pay cash or debit? Just thinking out loud.

We only accept cash and debit. Our average bill is about $45. Our prices vary between $28 (for brows) and about $100 for mani/pedi with gel polish.
The only thing we do upsell is cuticle oil and foot creams ($3.50-$27) ;)

Our debit transactions cost me $0.12 per transaction but VISA and MC are 2.9% and additional 1%+ if it's a reward card (where clients collect air miles, points etc... so basically we as merchants pay for their vacations etc when you think about it)
I tried to get a better deal which would be 0.06 on debit and about 2.4% plus 1% but then i have to re-sign 3 year contract with them (which i read in a very small print and wasn't told this- which turned me totally off)
So, we don't use the credit cards.

Try looking into Evalon (if you're a Costco member its even cheaper.) I have it through the Costco membership and its 6¢ for debit and 1.6% for credit cards, 0.5-1% extra if a reward card. :) plus no contract and you can cancel anytime without any penalties.

Do Not Implement a No Card Policy it will kill your business a lot of higher paying customers pay with their cards I know you said you have an issue with your internet connection but there are new swipe solutions that you can get that connect directly to your smartphone and they process through stripe. My Hive salon software takes all this hassle out for me there is a payment solution inbuilt already so I don't need to pay for the machine upfront every month. I pay €69.99 pm for the whole system and there was no big upfront fee for lots of clunky hardware.

Thanks for all your replies. You're right clients do spend more with card payments, think I just got carried away!
Think I need to ask for a better deal or look around for cheaper options x

After reading this im in two minds, I opened my salon last year with cash only and I am finding it no problem, all my regulars have no problem at all new clients are fine with it, all the local hairdressers ( im beauty ) have got rid of theres, i think yes great if you have retail which I don't yet! But really want to bring that in this year! So I think a card machine is needed in that case!

Don't get me wrong I could be talking nonsense but time I pay monthly charges and transactions I think I would be making less.

I have been thinking about getting a card machine for a while. I have a small home salon but also think that having a card machine looks more professional. I was thinking that it would be a bit of a selling point to maybe draw clients in as it can be a pain having to get cash sometimes. Has anyone felt that it has helped their business grow?

It has definitely helped my business to grow. If you ever want to grow your business you need a card machine. If no one else does it, become a trail blazer, rather than think 'no one else does it so I won't bother'.
It definitely looks more professional and makes you look like a business.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Couldn't live without my card machine now! So many clients pay by card, and it's great that they can stick expensive treatments on their credit card too... I offer lots of treatments that are £100+, and so many people put them on credit cards 😂 x

Is there a machine that is particularly suited to a small home business that anyone would recommend?

Is there a machine that is particularly suited to a small home business that anyone would recommend?

I would say it's totally dependent on your turnover. If turnover is low, there are card machines like 'sum up' that have no monthly charge or contact but charge a much higher percentage per transaction or you pay a monthly amount like £18, you have a contract - usually about 3 years but it can move with you if you move premises - and a much lower transaction charge.

Vic x

I would say it's totally dependent on your turnover. If turnover is low, there are card machines like 'sum up' that have no monthly charge or contact but charge a much higher percentage per transaction or you pay a monthly amount like £18, you have a contract - usually about 3 years but it can move with you if you move premises - and a much lower transaction charge.

Vic x

Thanks Vic. Helpful as always x

Latest posts

Back