Getting rid of orange tones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezzii

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this blog, and quite new to hairdressing, I was wondering if I could get some help. I have balayaged my friends hair and I'm happy with the outcome except there are a few orange tones in the hair.. Mostly on the top at the front.. Where u least want them. I have used 20vol clynol bleach, I have used a simple purple toner but it's not taken all the orange tones out.. I've been advised to use 10/61 with pastel.. Has anyone got any tips for me. Thanks xx

Hi there. Violet cannot at any point vanish all the orange/brassy tones. You'd better use 10.8 with pastel. 10.61 has some violet tones that will maybe not vanish all the oranges

Purple toner won't touch orange.

You will need a toner with blue in it to neutralise the orange xx

What toner has blue in. Something with /8 in it..

Hi there. Violet cannot at any point vanish all the orange/brassy tones. You'd better use 10.8 with pastel. 10.61 has some violet tones that will maybe not vanish all the oranges
Thank you. So I'm best getting a 10/8 .. How long would you leave it before using another toner. She had it done yesterday

If its orange surely it hasnt lifted to a 10? So toning it with a base 10 isnt goingto work..

I just recommended 10/8 (the orange areas of course won't be a 10) because there is less blue and the blonder areas won't turn blue/grey. So as the result will be much more even and give some time for the application

You could always go back in with some bleach carefully picking out the orange bits if your client wants them completely gone, could be that you applied these bits last and the bleach wasn't on the front quiet long enough to take it up to the desired level. X

That's another solution. If it's too orange/ginger bleach would help (powder with a 3% max). Though, in my opinion if bleach could be avoided, that would be great

So maybe if I try the toner first and if that doesn't lift it out, wait a week and then go in with 3% bleach. Would the toner affect the rest of the blonde. I can't remember exactly how orange it is. I think it wasn't left on long enough though as the rest of it is blonde

Think about your bleaching levels. If the hair is orange toned it's most likely not a 10, or a 9, or even an 8. So tone on the correct level as well as with the correct counteracter. Ie. An orange/ yellow is a level 7 so 7/81 in Illumina or 7/89 in ct. A 10/8 has the ash tone but won't do much at a level7. Hope that helps

If it looks like I'm picturing it in my head I would say 7.89 colour touch. But it's hard to say without a photo

If it looks like I'm picturing it in my head I would say 7.89 colour touch. But it's hard to say without a photo
I would would say the colour is a golden orange, I'm trying get her send me a picture. It makes sense I guess to use a 7.89 toner. this is my first time doing this so I don't know how it will turn out.. I don't want to ruin her hair. X

Think about your bleaching levels. If the hair is orange toned it's most likely not a 10, or a 9, or even an 8. So tone on the correct level as well as with the correct counteracter. Ie. An orange/ yellow is a level 7 so 7/81 in Illumina or 7/89 in ct. A 10/8 has the ash tone but won't do much at a level7. Hope that helps
If it won't do much at a level 7, will that just make it more orange if it's that tone already. I kind of get what your saying and then I think will that just keep it orange.

Wella Instamatics are brilliant as well for toning without making the colour darker. Mint green and storm blue I think they're called?

Wella Instamatics are brilliant as well for toning without making the colour darker. Mint green and storm blue I think they're called?
I'm so keen to try these as a toner, but I'm too scared! I need to stretch myself out of my comfort zone!

I will have to look at them.. So the blue should lift the orange out.. But if it doesn't I will need to go in and re bleach.. Has anyone used this opaflex is it or colorflex.. Can that be added to toners anyone know

Latest posts

Back