Getting rid of red & hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19740

Reaction score
Again I need advice from the wisely geeks! I currently have short hair (think Frankie from the Saturdays) longish on one side, short at the other and back. Firstly, is it too short for hair extensions? I would prefer micro ring/bond etc. I went to see a hairdresser yesterday about having wefts sewn in and she said she would be able to do it but think bonds would look better? My hair is about 3/4 inches at the top but I'd say it's only maybe 1/2 in at one side and at the back.

Second question. I have a permanent darkish red on my hair and attempted to dye over it with a dark brown semi. Now it's dark brown on the mid lengths and ends with a red tinge. I don't want to put another flat dark brown/ash brown on to counteract the red and it goes really really dark. Is my only option a bleach bath?

Sorry for the essay geeks and thank you for any advice u can give!!

I've also got an asymmetric cut and I've been trying to grow my short side. It was above my ear and it's now at the bottom of my ear which I'd say is probably the ideal length to put extensions in. Then again, it depends. If you want extensions in the short side to match your longer length then it will be easy to blend. If you want extensions all over it can look a tad odd :S You're best to find a hair extensions expert (a lot of hairdressers can do extensions, I'd say only a small percent can actually do them well!) and see what they'd recommend. Personally, I'd only put them in your short side and you'd be amazed how much your hair has grown when you wanna have them about in about 3 months (well, when you have them out it all depends on you, I had mine about 3 months). As for the colour, if you're trying to strip the colour don't bleach bath it cos your hair will feel rubbish and any colour you put on after won't hold so well. Use Head and Shoulders for a couple of weeks every day/every other day and that can help gradually strip colours. Or ask your hairdresser about stripping colours. Colour corrections are always best done in a salon. Although you say you don't want to put an ash on your red it is the right way to neautralise any red tones. If in doubt- do nowt! And see your stylist!

I personally like to have 3 - 4 inches of good condition hair to put extensions in... some extentionists will do your hair but beware they may not last there full life expectancy.

In regards to the red... go to the hairdressers... they will attempt to neutralise the red with green... (what I had done)
I did also have a bleach bath but not a red hair in sight =D x

Latest posts

Back