Giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long&LushLocks

Reaction score
Qualified for 2 years
Hair extensions , waxing , acrylics & tanning
In these 2 years I've had roughly
10 clients for extensions
1 for waxing
4 for tanning
15 for acrylics .....

Those 15 for acrylics were at £10 from £25 , I lowered to get clients , when I know I'm worth more ... I have no response to my adds , nothing , I posted before about working in a salon but figured what's the point as I won't make the full amount off my treatments as I would be being mobile .
I'm at a point where I need to move on I think , don't have enough clients coming in to have a steady income , 4 children I NEED that steady income ....
Has anyone ever regretted moving on from the beauty business ?
I'd keep all my nail & tan equipment as I regularly do my own so it's always good to keep that :)

But yea , ready to give up completely , move onto a decent reliable job with guaranteed income , I'd get a childminder , I wouldn't with beauty as you can see not worth the money to the amount of clients I've had!

I'd love to add more treatments - fat freezing , semi perm makeup , cost alone for the fat freezing course is 10k + I know I'd be in business then [emoji113]
End of a chapter for me though , just thought I'd post in here as you are all more than helpful :)

How have you been advertising?
I think mobile is tough. A lot of people don't want someone in their home. Working in a salon would give you a more regular income.
Do you have level 2 beauty of just do individual courses?
Did the acrylic clients not return? That's a big drop?

How have you been advertising?
I think mobile is tough. A lot of people don't want someone in their home. Working in a salon would give you a more regular income.
Do you have level 2 beauty of just do individual courses?
Did the acrylic clients not return? That's a big drop?
Yes , advertise on my own Facebook , Facebook selling pages , my own business Facebook , gumtree , flyers , business cards , have a logo on my car also .
I offer people to come to my home if it's easier for them so give them the option of me travelling or they can come to me .
None of the clients I've had ever return & I never hear from them again , people enquire & give me a date etc but don't hear from them after that or they cancel last minute .
No I just payed upfront for individual courses

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471715600.717454.jpg

Have you thought about setting up a salon area within your home? I know sometimes people can't due to spaces especially like you said you have 4 kids. I've attached a photo of what my home salon looks like. Some clients prefer this sort of setting rather than putting a chair in the middle of the room to do there hair extensions etc. My clients say they actually prefer being in my home with my set up as its a lot more private than in a actually busy salon with all the noise etc. If you already have all the equipment it may be worth giving it a shot - you can only try. Then when advertising you state in a relaxed home based salon etc - makes clients feel at ease xx

View attachment 200168
Have you thought about setting up a salon area within your home? I know sometimes people can't due to spaces especially like you said you have 4 kids. I've attached a photo of what my home salon looks like. Some clients prefer this sort of setting rather than putting a chair in the middle of the room to do there hair extensions etc. My clients say they actually prefer being in my home with my set up as its a lot more private than in a actually busy salon with all the noise etc. If you already have all the equipment it may be worth giving it a shot - you can only try. Then when advertising you state in a relaxed home based salon etc - makes clients feel at ease xx
I'd actually love to be able to do this [emoji7][emoji7]
But no space at all , have a 3 bed rented house , 2 girls in one room , myself , partner & baby in mine & my son in a smaller room , I thought about a summer house but no space as my garden is small !
I'd need a lottery win to buy a home with an extra room [emoji23]

Have you thought about renting a room/chair in a salon?

Have you thought about renting a room/chair in a salon?
Yes I have , but as I said in my post , it's not worth it , not making the full amount as I would mobile so make my full amount being mobile than in salon paying my daily / weekly rent from my takings

Have you tried doing pamper events to get your name out there? I was working for 2 yrs and I had alot less clients than you have. I used to earn most of my money from pamper events as you do treatments on the night. This might be something to look into.

What kind of hours are you working, are you flexible, do you cancel a lot, take time in responding to messages, keep a clean tidy home, present yourself well?

These are all things I'd look for in a therapist/hairdresser... Just something to think about :)

The situation you describe is not unusual OP. There's no shame in going where the money is. I reached a point where doing beauty as my main income affected my quality of life financially so if doing other things gives you better things financially then there's nothing wrong with that. You can still do beauty as a secondary income.

Also, the market for beauty is insanely saturated so a lack of customers may not mean that you are doing things wrong. When I worked in spas I had a lot of clients request me by name. Self employed is hard because it's hard and not because you're not good at what you do.

Have you tried doing pamper events to get your name out there? I was working for 2 yrs and I had alot less clients than you have. I used to earn most of my money from pamper events as you do treatments on the night. This might be something to look into.
Yes I do offer pamper parties , tanning parties , free offers , you name it I've offered it x

What kind of hours are you working, are you flexible, do you cancel a lot, take time in responding to messages, keep a clean tidy home, present yourself well?

These are all things I'd look for in a therapist/hairdresser... Just something to think about :)
0 hours , basically self employed but unemployed as not had clients for over a year , my house is spotless , I have OCD so I clean constantly !
I dress comfortably , I make an effort , not track suit bottoms , hoody & messy bun [emoji23] I dress as I would normally , I only ever cancel if something has came up within my small family ie kids or partner or I'm very unwell as wouldn't want to pass it on , I am pretty flexible to suit around partners work , I can take appointments from home during the day & mobile from 6pm Monday - Friday , Saturday & Sunday anytime I can do , always respond to messages as soon I receive them

Hair and beauty is extremely competitive, you have got to be really good in this game.

The fact that you said no one returns, rings alarm bells in my head. You can't survive in this business if you can't get repeat business. Why is nobody returning? Maybe you should try asking some previous clients for some honest feedback to see how you can improve.

The number of clients you've had - you're not marketing correctly/enough. I know you feel like you've done loads, but when you do lots of marketing you'd get more clients.

Flyers - I get 5,000 printed at a time. You have to give out thousands! They have to look professional too, I highly recommend verve print on here to design them. I pay extra for the thickest card and glossy flyers, they have got to be pretty to pick up. You also need a website address on the flyers, it's pointless without. People expect a website now.

Facebook - I know there are hair and beauty businesses who get a lot of business from Facebook. Your Facebook page has got to be spot on for this to be the case. You're not getting much business from it right now, so don't just rely on Facebook, your page probably needs working on.

Do read through the first thread in this section by Lynne on how to get more customers.

Good luck xx

Have you got pictures of your work that you can send on here and maybe some geeks can help you if they notice things you may need to improve on? x

0 hours , basically self employed but unemployed as not had clients for over a year , my house is spotless , I have OCD so I clean constantly !
I dress comfortably , I make an effort , not track suit bottoms , hoody & messy bun [emoji23] I dress as I would normally , I only ever cancel if something has came up within my small family ie kids or partner or I'm very unwell as wouldn't want to pass it on , I am pretty flexible to suit around partners work , I can take appointments from home during the day & mobile from 6pm Monday - Friday , Saturday & Sunday anytime I can do , always respond to messages as soon I receive them
Have you any work you could post on here, I'd also suggest asking clients for honest feedback, it's very strange to have nobody at all return.. Are you a chatty person? :(

You might benefit from being employed part time in a salon. You will probably learn quite a lot and it'll help you grow your own business.

Have you any work you could post on here, I'd also suggest asking clients for honest feedback, it's very strange to have nobody at all return.. Are you a chatty person? :(
Not a chatty person at all , I've got social anxiety , but I do apologise to my clients as I'm not an ignorant person I try my best to try and create conversation so something I'm working on , I do , I have 2 photos of hair extensions & a few of nails which I've done on myself & one on my sister x

Have you got pictures of your work that you can send on here and maybe some geeks can help you if they notice things you may need to improve on? x
Feel free to check on my page
Long & lush locks & maybe give me some pointers or advice x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471797906.972208.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471797920.733912.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471797946.853320.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471797965.701517.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471797978.099316.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471798039.120785.jpg

The nails are on myself & one on my sister

Latest posts

Back