Giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471798104.550988.jpg

Your work is good OP and certainly client worthy.

Employment in a salon (even just on Saturdays) can be more stable than self employment. The economy of it is not that fair though re employee pay.

It is my opinion that the pay from this industry is less than good.

I don't think it is your work or approach that is at fault. It really is a saturated industry.

Firstly I'm not qualified in Beauty yet but I've had a look at your Facebook page and viewed it as I would if I were a client.

I really don't want I sound harsh and for you to take my comments the wrong way

The first thing I noticed is the Products you are using and advertising 'CN' is this a version of CND products or another brand?
A lot of clients want a brand they've heard of CND Gellish etc I think would get you more clients

You've talked on your Facebook page about clients Pissing you off - I'd say this was a big no no, I think it will instantly put people off

You've also got a photo of nails you did 3 years ago compared to now, i wouldnt have that on there either, I'd just advertise the nails that you do now not whilst training

I only had a quick look but those first few things stood out for me

Hopefully some experienced geeks will come along and give you more advice than I can

As I said earlier I hope I haven't offended you but wanted to be honest

Your advertising is the first impression that any potential client will have of you and the service that you provide, this advertising needs to be perfect and give the best impression that it can, there are so many people etc there trying to get clients you need to stand out in the crowd

I also read the one negative feedback that you'd received on there, is there any way of getting this removed? Id say this was also making it look negative to potential clients

Firstly I'm not qualified in Beauty yet but I've had a look at your Facebook page and viewed it as I would if I were a client.

I really don't want I sound harsh and for you to take my comments the wrong way

The first thing I noticed is the Products you are using and advertising 'CN' is this a version of CND products or another brand?
A lot of clients want a brand they've heard of CND Gellish etc I think would get you more clients

You've talked on your Facebook page about clients Pissing you off - I'd say this was a big no no, I think it will instantly put people off

You've also got a photo of nails you did 3 years ago compared to now, i wouldnt have that on there either, I'd just advertise the nails that you do now not whilst training

I only had a quick look but those first few things stood out for me

Hopefully some experienced geeks will come along and give you more advice than I can

As I said earlier I hope I haven't offended you but wanted to be honest

Your advertising is the first impression that any potential client will have of you and the service that you provide, this advertising needs to be perfect and give the best impression that it can, there are so many people etc there trying to get clients you need to stand out in the crowd

I also read the one negative feedback that you'd received on there, is there any way of getting this removed? Id say this was also making it look negative to potential clients
Hi thanks for your opinion
CN is classy nails , a women in my area who produces her own gel polish , which I find brilliant ! She's well known in my area & a lot of girls use her , I've tried CND but just felt they didn't have a huge range in colours so looked else where I found classy nails .

Thanks I'll remove that photo !:)

& for that bad review I've tried to remove it , she left the bad review after I told her I can't do nails on the date as had family from England up & I got a whole lot of abuse & threats even though I didn't cancel as she asked for that date and not another date and I'd already had plans so offered her another date but she was adamant for that specific date , in return leaving me a horrible review when I wasn't at fault .

Appreciate your feedback :)

I'm sure a lot of people have negative reviews from people, some who have never even been clients, if the good reviews out way the bad then I wouldn't worry about just the one bad one

Your nails look nice, so the good thing is that your work is good

It must be very frustrating when your trying to build a business and as someone whose just coming into the industry it's a bit scary, ploughing time and money and effort into something and wondering if it's going to work out, some times it seems crazy to be paying out £5,000 and two years of my time to take a drop in wages lol

It's definitely an over saturated industry and the pay doesn't seem to be great

I really hope it works out for you and your business gets off the ground x

I think as you do beauty mainly but call yourself a name regarding the hair extensions I wouldn't even think to search to find you if I wanted the nails, waxing, tans.
I'd assume you were a hairdresser from the name.
There are significantly less people wanting hair extensions than those wanting nails, tans and waxing so I think maybe a name change.

I think as you do beauty mainly but call yourself a name regarding the hair extensions I wouldn't even think to search to find you if I wanted the nails, waxing, tans.
I'd assume you were a hairdresser from the name.
There are significantly less people wanting hair extensions than those wanting nails, tans and waxing so I think maybe a name change.
I was SJs beauty box before then quit as no clients were driving me mad so came back with a name change , fresh start x

Yes , advertise on my own Facebook , Facebook selling pages , my own business Facebook , gumtree , flyers , business cards , have a logo on my car also .
I offer people to come to my home if it's easier for them so give them the option of me travelling or they can come to me .
None of the clients I've had ever return & I never hear from them again , people enquire & give me a date etc but don't hear from them after that or they cancel last minute .
No I just payed upfront for individual courses

Why didn't you rebook them?

Why didn't you send follow up emails/texts. They system i use sends a message out of I've not seen them in 6 weeks reminding them they're due for their cut/colour etc.

People are cancelling on you because you seem like a hobby beautician.

£10 is a joke. I wouldn't come to you. I wouldn't trust you're trained or have insurance.

Definitely get into a salon, you can begin to build up a clientele then you can get your name out there, build a reputation for yourself, then consider working mobile/from home [emoji5]️ good luck, your work is definitely client worthy!

Why didn't you rebook them?

Why didn't you send follow up emails/texts. They system i use sends a message out of I've not seen them in 6 weeks reminding them they're due for their cut/colour etc.

People are cancelling on you because you seem like a hobby beautician.

£10 is a joke. I wouldn't come to you. I wouldn't trust you're trained or have insurance.
I send out reminders for maintenance on hair extensions & let them know when to re book for an Infill , I message them but they never reply back ...

I only offered acrylics for £10 once as I knew I'd get custom , I didn't like doing it but thought doing it to get more clients in they would return
I have proof of my certificates for all treatments I'm qualified in & proof of insurance

I actually charge £25 for acrylics

Hello,
I know exactly how you feel, you keep trying and trying and nothing seems too work! I think the best bit of advice, I can give to you, that worked for me was to be different. Have different brands that you are passionate about, than other local beauticians offer. Offer something different that you offer well, good treatment and service. I know it sounds crazy, but for two years I was offering the same brands as everybody else in my area because I thought clients knew it well and I couldn't go wrong! Big mistake! A bit similar to this CN you talk about. But you just blend in with the crowd and that's when lowering your prices seems like your only option, but again from my experience and from what you have said these clients come for the cheap deals and then go they are not loyal clients they won't be with you for the long haul. You need to need to attract a different client base, even though at the moment it's small you need to start somewhere and if beauty is what you really have a passion for, keep at it! I love my job and my clients if you had asked me that 2 years ago it was a completely different story. I felt the same as you do now!
I hope I've helped in anyway. X.

Qualified for 2 years
Hair extensions , waxing , acrylics & tanning
In these 2 years I've had roughly
10 clients for extensions
1 for waxing
4 for tanning
15 for acrylics .....

Those 15 for acrylics were at £10 from £25 , I lowered to get clients , when I know I'm worth more ... I have no response to my adds , nothing , I posted before about working in a salon but figured what's the point as I won't make the full amount off my treatments as I would be being mobile .
I'm at a point where I need to move on I think , don't have enough clients coming in to have a steady income , 4 children I NEED that steady income ....
Has anyone ever regretted moving on from the beauty business ?
I'd keep all my nail & tan equipment as I regularly do my own so it's always good to keep that :)

But yea , ready to give up completely , move onto a decent reliable job with guaranteed income , I'd get a childminder , I wouldn't with beauty as you can see not worth the money to the amount of clients I've had!

I'd love to add more treatments - fat freezing , semi perm makeup , cost alone for the fat freezing course is 10k + I know I'd be in business then [emoji113]
End of a chapter for me though , just thought I'd post in here as you are all more than helpful :)
Hi there!

First of all I love your pictures and I love the nail art!

Do you have a local Facebook page that you advertise on for your area or an Instagram account? That really works for me.

My clientele took off massively when I started doing gel nails for a lovely bunch of elderly ladies at warden assisted housing, a lady I know, her mum is in there and I was recommended that way but if you know of anywhere near you it may be worth popping in some flyers and advising of your discounted rates for oaps etc?

I do 7 nails in 1 day a week in there and have been recommended by them to their daughters & granddaughters etc!! I'm so busy I have to turn people down!

BUT I come across as a confident social butterfly, deep down I get nervous before every treatment and worry about what to say what happens if something goes wrong etc!

What I do is switch off and focus solely on them to forget my own anxieties, I ask them, are you comfortable? Your backs not hurting is it? How are the grandkids? I have so many diff clients I write down little bits along with their name so I remember their kids names etc! I genuinely care and I want to show that and for them to remember me!

Please don't give up just yet!

I wouldn't normally advise someone to seek employment in a salon as the pay isn't great. But as you're not getting any repeat business, I think you'll benefit from learning on the job.

Your photos look lovely, but it's hard to say from a photo if your work is good enough. There's got to be a reason why people aren't returning, maybe the nails aren't lasting long enough, or they're lifting etc...

We live in a country with millions of people. So I don't subscribe to that whole - the markets saturated. If that was the case, we should tell everyone not to bother training. There will always be work for exceptional therapists.

Well done for taking all we've got to say on board, and for continuing to try. Unfortunately if I was a client I would not book with you based on your Facebook page. Here are some of the reasons why:

Non refundable deposit required on all bookings
I don't know you, I don't know if you'll turn up. I won't pay a mobile person a deposit

Asking for models
You need to advertise for models elsewhere. Advertising for models on your Facebook page makes you seem less professional. I'd worry you were a beginner and not book

Little survey
I can see you're really keen to make this business work and have acted immediately on my advice. But you need to text the clients your little survey, they most probably won't reply, but there's no harm in asking.
Please take this off your Facebook page as it makes you seem unprofessional.

Maybe it could be your social anxiety and lack of conversation that puts people off. The chatting is part of it, but that's ok, maybe you just need to move into less chatty treatments. Massage, lash extensions...

Do you travel to Edinburgh? If you do I'll book a treatment with you when your cars fixed and give you some honest feedback. Hugs xx

Not a chatty person at all , I've got social anxiety , but I do apologise to my clients as I'm not an ignorant person I try my best to try and create conversation so something I'm working on , I do , I have 2 photos of hair extensions & a few of nails which I've done on myself & one on my sister x
This may be an issue, although a lot of clients come to chat away and barely let you get a word in edge ways, I do think for a lot of them it's the social aspect that 'makes' it for them.

I know personally, if I had a choice between sitting with someone I could have a right good catch up with vs someone who just talks basics, I'd go for the chatty one.

Perhaps try working in a salon to build up your confidence, it must be very difficult doing such a sociable job if it causes you anxiety but there's definitely a way to come through this, looking at your pictures, it's not your work.

Your work is fab.

I do notice there's not much attention on your page though, I personally hate Facebook pages and use an actual profile (against the rules) as I found the page just didn't get me 'out there' enough.

Do you advertise anywhere else? Don't give up, your work is as good as many techs in my area who work decent hours, keep going...

This may be an issue, although a lot of clients come to chat away and barely let you get a word in edge ways, I do think for a lot of them it's the social aspect that 'makes' it for them.

I know personally, if I had a choice between sitting with someone I could have a right good catch up with vs someone who just talks basics, I'd go for the chatty one.

Perhaps try working in a salon to build up your confidence, it must be very difficult doing such a sociable job if it causes you anxiety but there's definitely a way to come through this, looking at your pictures, it's not your work.

Your work is fab.

I do notice there's not much attention on your page though, I personally hate Facebook pages and use an actual profile (against the rules) as I found the page just didn't get me 'out there' enough.

Do you advertise anywhere else? Don't give up, your work is as good as many techs in my area who work decent hours, keep going...
I did have a normal page but it kept being reported or blocked so I just made that page from my personal page .

I'm done trying , moving on , I need to for my children , would of said fun while it lasted but it hasn't been :(

I hate that I'm not chatty and I probably make people feel uneasy but I do try

Last edited:
I did have a normal page but it kept being reported or blocked so I just made that page from my personal page .

I'm done trying , moving on , I need to for my children , would of said fun while it lasted but it hasn't been :(

I hate that I'm not chatty and I probably make people feel uneasy but I do try
Ohh :(

I'm sure you don't make them feel uneasy but I do think some confidence building would be a good idea - not that I know much about social anxiety so I do apologise if that's a patronising suggestion :) x

I wouldn't normally advise someone to seek employment in a salon as the pay isn't great. But as you're not getting any repeat business, I think you'll benefit from learning on the job.

Your photos look lovely, but it's hard to say from a photo if your work is good enough. There's got to be a reason why people aren't returning, maybe the nails aren't lasting long enough, or they're lifting etc...

We live in a country with millions of people. So I don't subscribe to that whole - the markets saturated. If that was the case, we should tell everyone not to bother training. There will always be work for exceptional therapists.

Well done for taking all we've got to say on board, and for continuing to try. Unfortunately if I was a client I would not book with you based on your Facebook page. Here are some of the reasons why:

Non refundable deposit required on all bookings
I don't know you, I don't know if you'll turn up. I won't pay a mobile person a deposit

Asking for models
You need to advertise for models elsewhere. Advertising for models on your Facebook page makes you seem less professional. I'd worry you were a beginner and not book

Little survey
I can see you're really keen to make this business work and have acted immediately on my advice. But you need to text the clients your little survey, they most probably won't reply, but there's no harm in asking.
Please take this off your Facebook page as it makes you seem unprofessional.

Maybe it could be your social anxiety and lack of conversation that puts people off. The chatting is part of it, but that's ok, maybe you just need to move into less chatty treatments. Massage, lash extensions...

Do you travel to Edinburgh? If you do I'll book a treatment with you when your cars fixed and give you some honest feedback. Hugs xx

I know my acrylics last , my own sets I can have them on for weeks , if any lifting or fall off I offer to fix free , I'd offer less chatty treatments but don't make any money to invest in more courses , I've removed a few things from my page that have been mentioned :) I usually have a look through others pages for ideas etc and see what I can do better .

I do cover Edinburgh but never really through that way , I don't have family / friends through there so never go through

The last 2 hair extensions I done the deposits where paid through PayPal , I know people don't know me so that would put them off but would never con someone

Gumtree I advertise on , Facebook , flyers & business cards , I was thinking of putting my logo etc on my back window of my car to see if that helped bring in clients

I think only you truely know if you've had enough and are ready too give up

I understand what your saying, you've been trying to make it work for a couple of years you've done all of the ideas people have suggested, so when is it time to say 'this just isn't working'

It's a tough choice to make because if you need money to survive and to give things too your children at some point I guess you have to make that choice if it's just not working

Would you take another job in a different industry and offer a couple of evenings a week doing mobile nails etc? Just to keep yourself in the industry but not being reliant on the income?

Yea I would , I've applied for several carer , cleaning & night shift jobs but no luck there either so really stuck !
If i was lucky enough to get another job I would leave the nails etc behind , wouldn't go back to it all

Latest posts

Back