Glitter gradient help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

char1112

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I've recently bought a load of gorgeous glitter pots and have been having a play about with them tonight. I'm finding it so much harder to make a glitter gradient with them than I do with my Gelish glitters and trends.

Currently I've been doing base, cure 2 x colour (or 3) cure then dabbing on the glitter with a brush and top coating but I've had two problems:

1. With my Hot Rod Red the inhibition layer is forever staining my top it off brush. I've worked a way around that but when I put the glitter on and pat it down the red is making the glitter have a slight red hue. I think a way around this may be to top coat, cure then glitter but was just wondering if there's another way?

2. How do I stop the glitter getting stuck in the top coat brush or dragging the glitter out of place? I've tried floating the top coat but the glitter just wouldn't stay put and I kept having to clean my brush!

I press the glitter into the inhibition layer using a sponge. I use Bio Sculpture & IBD Just Gel & was told that if the colour is coming out after curing on your top coat brush its been applied too thick - thinner layers are better. I also have a seperate brush for top coat & put some top coat into a dappen dish to avoid getting glitter into it. Some people have a top coat they only use with glitter so they don't have to worry about it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I press the glitter into the inhibition layer using a sponge. I use Bio Sculpture & IBD Just Gel & was told that if the colour is coming out after curing on your top coat brush its been applied too thick - thinner layers are better. I also have a seperate brush for top coat & put some top coat into a dappen dish to avoid getting glitter into it. Some people have a top coat they only use with glitter so they don't have to worry about it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's only one colour that leaves red on the top coat and it's a deep red so I was thinking it was just because of how strong a colour it is. Thanks for the help, I might use one of my top coats for just glitter from now on :) xx

I have a top it off that I only use for glitter. Its impossible to not get any stuck to the brush elsewhere.
Another method I've used is to put some clear gel in a fallen dish and scoop the glitter in to it forming a paste? Then sponge on. Works well but is a lot more sparse glitter

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your help ladies! I so wish there was a way around it, I'll just use one of my other top coats and label it up so I only use it for glitters. Luckily I picked all the glitter off the brush of my good TIO (there wasn't a lot) xxx

After I apply the glitter but before I top coat I would apply a coat of the closest trends or flitted polish that I have. It gives extra dimension with slightly different sizes and tones of glitter and if you get more glitter in trends it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back