Glitter Tips Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I know you can make glitter tips or free edges with acrylic powders, but can you do the same with gels?

I have visions of making an absolute mess of my application, my brushes, my gels etc. etc.

Would love to give it a go, but just don't know if it's feasible.

yes its possible, it you extend the natural nail with gel first on a form and do a really thin nail then cure it, then apply glitter on the free edge bit only taking it up the sides to make a smile line, then cure it, then finally apply a last layer of gel on the nail plate and the free edge (over the whole thing). voila!

I have done this on my glitter nails but with clear acrylic instaed of gel.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks Sarita. Will attempt to give it a go and see what happens ...

Think im going to try that too

GOOD LUCK :eek:

I sculpt a free edge with gel and then apply a layer of gel with glitter added easy :D

lell said:
I sculpt a free edge with gel and then apply a layer of gel with glitter added easy :D

I dont sculpt with gel often but if I do I use the same method, I used to dip the tips in glitter and apply them straight to the nail (mostly my own) and just do a clear overlay, I now use a different gel so and it has an intense glitter content premixed and you can create a smile but you have to freeze it immediately. On tips you can blend as normal, apply a thin clear base and then apply chunky glitter. Using a clean brush swipe in the smile and then the overlay. See loads of ways!

Have fun!

Hey, i have glitter gel extensions on at the moment.

I mixed micro glitter and gel together...just enough for what i needed. i dip my tooth-pick into the clear gel....then dip it into the glitter container and then wipe the stuff on to a mixing tray and mix together.

With the natural nail, i first apply a clear gel overlay. Then i apply the form and sculpt out a nail with the gel and glitter mixture using a toothpic. Then cure, then apply a coat of clear gel, cure and then file into good shape. I then finish with a finishing gloss.

Hope this helps and is articulate.

Bec

I'm still learning to do glitter with gels.... its not always easy to get a very dense look like you can with L&P. I think you have to be careful with the amount of glitter you use as well as it may affect the curing of the gel.

extend the natural nail with gel first on a form and do a really thin nail then cure it, then apply glitter on the free edge bit only taking it up the sides to make a smile line, then cure it, then finally apply a last layer of gel on the nail plate and the free edge (over the whole thing). voila!

I'm going to give this method a go as I've only tried mixing the glitter into the gel.....

Here is a pikkie of one of my first attempts with mixing glitter into clear scultping gel (Brisa)

they are gorgeous!! absolutely fab:biggrin:

Mani-fique! said:
I'm still learning to do glitter with gels.... its not always easy to get a very dense look like you can with L&P. I think you have to be careful with the amount of glitter you use as well as it may affect the curing of the gel.

I'm going to give this method a go as I've only tried mixing the glitter into the gel.....

Here is a pikkie of one of my first attempts with mixing glitter into clear scultping gel (Brisa)

they look good enough for me - love the red!!! My smile lines are pants at the moment - never mind will keep practicing away

Thanks peeps.... its lovely doing glitter nails but takes some getting used to using gel... I can't wait for some colours to come out with Brisa then I can add touches of glitter to that for a more dense look..... it does take some practice not to get glitter all over zones 2 and 3 and getting those smiles nice and crisp

ooh yes those glitter tips are fab, if that was my first time i would be over the moon.

Hi Karen,

Might be missing the point exactly here but have you seen the glitter additives for Gels? Alan Roy Nails do them for £1.99 for a 15ml pot
Don't think their website is working properly but basically there is a choice of Fine Silver
Coarse Silver
Red
Green
Blue
Gold

It says you simply mix the additives to make enough for a full set or nail art?

Sorry if this isn't what you were after

karen noodle said:
I know you can make glitter tips or free edges with acrylic powders, but can you do the same with gels?

I have visions of making an absolute mess of my application, my brushes, my gels etc. etc.

Would love to give it a go, but just don't know if it's feasible.

Mani-fique! said:
Thanks peeps.... its lovely doing glitter nails but takes some getting used to using gel... I can't wait for some colours to come out with Brisa then I can add touches of glitter to that for a more dense look..... it does take some practice not to get glitter all over zones 2 and 3 and getting those smiles nice and crisp
They are great - I want them:lol:

Latest posts

Back