glitter:> will any type do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi geeklings!!

I had a small question.......
Is there a difference in the type of glitter used to mix with acrylic compared to the glitter that you buy from a art store??? I heared about the fact that it would give service breakdown etc... But i have never experienced something like that. So it made me wonder if any of you had some experience or more information about this to tell me that there is no difference or that there is indeed a difference.

Thanks for takin the time !!!:hug:

Some of the cheaper craft shop glitters will bleed their colour when mixed with liquid.

Is there any other risk besides the color comming off the glitter?
Thx allready for responding:green:

No i don't think you'll have any other probs other than is bleeding hun i use alot of glitter from craft shops xx

I generally use the super fine glitter from craft stores or some make up ranges like Barry M or Mac, and havent had any bleeding yet!

Thx everybody for the info! I asked this since i am in contact with a make-up company that has tons of different beautifull glitters. The glitters are very fine and sparkling and are for cosmetic purpose and therefore i thought to retail them for use in nailart. I have been using them for quit a while without problems, therefore i wanted to double check if there would be any other issue to think about.

Thx again :hug:

i have mixed my spangles nail art glitters with acrylic and gel, no probs so far

Just remember to ask this question; "is this glitter colour fast?" most high quality craft (scrapbook) store glitter is because the scrap bookers use laquer to seal their work, so the glitter is colour fast for that reason.. the super cheap big chunky stuff tends to not be colour fast so avoid that... I have my own mixes of glitter powder and I wear it 95% of the time as tips - as long sculpts - and never have a problem with the product breaking down.

So if you have some glitter laying around, what would be the easiest way to check if it's colorfast? Is there a special trick?

I'm asking because I purchased some red ultra fine glitter for 4th of July that was NOT colorfast but I didn't discover it until I had already mixed it with my powder AND tried it on a clear tip AND on piece of plastic. It looked fine then but when I was applying it, it started to run and turn orange. :cry:

S

all I do to check glitter that I am unsure of is get a little glass bowl, put a tiny bit of the glitter in the bowl, using my pipete I draw up litterally a drop of monomer and drop it on the glitter, if the glitter is non-colour fast the colour will wash off it as soon as the monomer touches it. :)

Thank you! I'll try that out with my other colors then.

S

wouldnt it be easier to just use the proper stuff??
imo you cant beat nail graphix, fiona aka naturalnails does them in a zillion colours, so easy to use, dont bleed, stay true , doesnt file off to silver as some of the craft shop ones do,
you cant go wrong!

im sporting no.13 a gorgeous pink ( cant remember what its called sorry)

wouldnt it be easier to just use the proper stuff??

high quality craft glitter (not talking about the cheap chunky stuff) and cosmetic grade glitter such as the MAC range are exactly the same as the 'proper stuff' only I can get 80g bags of it for the same price as a 5g pot. makes sence to me.

high quality craft glitter (not talking about the cheap chunky stuff) and cosmetic grade glitter such as the MAC range are exactly the same as the 'proper stuff' only I can get 80g bags of it for the same price as a 5g pot. makes sence to me.

have you actually tried the nail graphix glitter?

I actually tried the a nailgraphix sample that they have sended me and it,s really nothing different then the cosmetic glitter that i have been using.
I think that it,s pretty much the same thing then nailgraphix + it comes in many colors aswell. They just label their glitter as glitter proper for use in acrylic and gel "which it defenitly is", but it,s not a unique type of glitter to my opinion that could rule out all other glitters as being less qualified to do the job.
I think that their only extra is the fact that they come in containers that are premeasured for correct mixing with acrylic to get a perfect glitter density.

Cosmetic glitter needs to be extra fully tested before it can be labeled as so. Therefore you can be pretty sure that it,s high quality. I think when it,s used for nailenhancements i guess it doesn,t even have to be qualified as cosmetic since it doesn,t come in contact with the skin. And if it is durable in gel + acrylic i think it,s just as good.

Correct me if i,m wrong. I started this thread to get many different responds and maybe it could change my opinion if anyone has additional info.

exactly...the price is pretty high for a few grams of glitter that are in quality easy to come by. Don,t understand me wrong. i think that they have beautifull glitters and it,s good stuff but i just concider the financial value of it.

I havent done any glitter application before and I bought some Spangles recently.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do it? - Do you literally mix some glitter into your clear powder and carry on as normal? Is there anything to consider with the mix ratio? Brush care?

Latest posts

Back