Glow Mineral make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
I know, I know, yet another thread about mineral make-up :smack:

I've been toying with the idea of getting some mineral make-up, but I have to be honest and say I'm totally confused as to which one to get.

There are so many good brands out there Lily Lilo, Jane Iredale, BareEscentuals to name but a few ! I don't want to pay a lot of money for something that I might not like.

Anyway, I went for a facial yesterday and the therapist was stocking Jane Iredale and Glow mineral make up and I asked her if she could put some on me for me to see what it's like, to which she agreed.

Now, the Karen Hertzog moisturiser that she used on me was quite greasy / oily (much greaser than I would use).

I know from reading on here that you should wait about 10min before applying mineral make-up after applying your moisturiser, but she applied it within 2 min of finishing my facial.

I asked her about this and she said "no, it's fine, you can put it on immediately". I wasn't totally convinced, especially with the amount of "oil" that was on my skin.

Anyway, she chose the colour out of a vast selection she had (I opted for the pressed minerals) which I though was too dark / tanned for my skin and put it on.

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I almost cried ! I use very pale make up, have been using Clinique pressed powder foundation for years now (can't remember the shade :lol:) and I looked like I've had a very dodgy fake tan :eek: :eek:

Besides the shade that I felt was completely wrong for me, I also thought it looked very dull. No shimmer and glow like they normally have on the TV when they do the demos...

It was also caked on my skin and I only ever have a VERY VERY light coating on my face, you can barely see it. It looked like I stuck my face into a vat of the stuff :eek:

Because of this, I am hoping that the end result was due to 1) there being a very thick / oily moisturiser on my face and her choosing the wrong shade for my skin and perhaps putting too much on.

So my first experience with mineral m-up was not good....

Is it possible to really only get a very fine coating on your skin ? I don't want to look like I'm wearing make up, even close up ! That is one of the main reasons I stopped wearing liquid foundations years ago because it just always looked like I was caked in the stuff even when only using the tiniest amount.

Andy advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Marlise

Yes Marlise it is possible to get a fine coverage with mineral foundation. Infact mineral foundation is the best type in my opinion to get the light coverage look.

It is best applied in layers, if applied too heavily all in one go you can look very powdery which is not ho mineral foundation should look. If a person wants heavier coverage then just apply more layers, not more in one go.

I always suggest waiting the 10 minutes after applying moisturiser, after that any product that is left on your skin can be patted away with a tissue as you skin will have absorbed all it needs. The foundation will then go on alot smoother and more evenly.

The colour of a foundation can come down to personal opinion. The therapist herself may prefer a darker look and may presume that is what everybody prefers. In MY opinion a foundation is there to even out your skin tone (not to add colour - that is the job of a bronzer/blusher).

Dont let this put you off mineral products as it really is a fab product - but perhaps go for a skin patch test at another to find the right colour for you.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need any more info.

Hi Hun,
I started a thread yesterday on the same subject, Titled Artdeco Minerals.
I have a rep coming to see me in a couple of weeks with all the samples, I will make sure I have 2 or 3 friends lined up ready for her. I want to stock it in my bridal make up range. Then be able to offer it for sale to the brides etc. I will let you know how I get on.
Good luck.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

I use lily lilo and you can buy the try me sizes for 99p ...

Thanks PF, let me know how you get on !

Oey,

My skin was really sticky, so I didn't expect the result to look good if I'm honest.

I don't wear bronzers or blush, I literally just put a bit of my pressed powder foundation on my face, mascara and some eyeliner. That's it. I have always gone for a very natural look and REALLY dislike the "looks like you've put your make-up on with a trowel look".

I totally agree with your comment. I also feel that the purpose of foundation is to even out your OWN natural skin tone and not to add colour. So I feel it's very important to get a foundation that matches your skin colour / tone.

I have to admit, that I liked the idea of the pressed minerals better than the powder. It seemed less faffy. Besides Jane Iredale and Glow, are there any other brands that do the pressed minerals ?

Marlise

I use lily lilo and you can buy the try me sizes for 99p ...

Hi Angie,

I'm currently looking at the Lily Lilo ones again, but need to buy a brush to try them which is £14. Do you use their brush ?

The other problem I have, is that I really don't actually know what skin tone I have :lol:

I'm fair skinned, but not pale. So am I neutral, cool or warm, red, yellow or green ? Can you tell that I'm not a skin geek :lol:

M.

Marlise - if you are not sure if you are cool or warm toned in your skin then try the Lily Lolo neutral colours. The porcelain is the lightest you can get and is for the palest of skins so try the blonde (which is what I use when I have no tan colour on my skin). Like Angie says the 99p samples are a great idea, you dont have to use the kabuki brush (although it is the best way to apply) you can use a flocked sponge like the ones you get in pressed powders (so you may already have one) or use a thick set powder brush you already have for the samples for the kabuki type give the best application in my opinion.

What is it you like about the pressed powders?

Marlise - if you are not sure if you are cool or warm toned in your skin then try the Lily Lolo neutral colours. The porcelain is the lightest you can get and is for the palest of skins so try the blonde (which is what I use when I have no tan colour on my skin). Like Angie says the 99p samples are a great idea, you dont have to use the kabuki brush (although it is the best way to apply) you can use a flocked sponge like the ones you get in pressed powders (so you may already have one) or use a thick set powder brush you already have for the samples for the kabuki type give the best application in my opinion.

What is it you like about the pressed powders?

Thanks.

Just read a tip on the Lily Lilo site on how to establish what your skin tone is, so will go out in daylight later to check. Sounds like I live in a dark closet :lol:

I do have my sponge which comes with Clinique powders which I could use, THANKS.

I also have a blusher brush which is not very big at all, but could give it a try.

The thing I like about the powders is that you can just "rub" your brush in it and away you go.

With the powders there seems to be a lot of "dab some out in a lid, then swirl brush in lid, then tap the excess off" etc etc.

I could be totally wrong though ....

M.

Hiyah

I have just invested in Lily lolo after it being recommended to me on here... it is fantastic my skin feels so much better already and I have got rid of the caked on look lol, I bought their Kabuki brush which is fantastic and is a definitely needed when applying the foundation as I have found that if I used my bog standard bronzing brush I do not get the look I wanted, I have googled Kabuki brushes and I have come a cross another Kabuki brush in pink(iis fab) and its a little bit cheaper.

I had a problem trying to figure out which shade foundation to buy as Im pale with panda eyes lol, I ended up looking in the neutral shades and chose in the buff and its perfect, you can apply as many layers as needed with sponge or brush.

hth
Sue x

Thanks.

With the powders there seems to be a lot of "dab some out in a lid, then swirl brush in lid, then tap the excess off" etc etc.

I could be totally wrong though ....

M.

The dab some in the lid, swirl your brush tap off excess is literally a few seconds so it wont really add to your time but gives a fab result.

Order the samples and see what you think.

Although I may be biased the Lily Lolo range is far better value for money. :lol:

The dab some in the lid, swirl your brush tap off excess is literally a few seconds so it wont really add to your time but gives a fab result.

Order the samples and see what you think.

Although I may be biased the Lily Lolo range is far better value for money. :lol:

You might just have convinced me :hug:

I will order a couple of samples and will do my best with the "application tools" that I have to hand.

Thanks for all your comments.

Marlise

I use and retail Fresh Minerals ...... its fantastic and has an SPF of 25 you can get this through Nouveau or email [email protected] or the web page is Home.

I have never looked back and my clients love the product

I use and retail Fresh Minerals ...... its fantastic and has an SPF of 25 you can get this through Nouveau or email [email protected] or the web page is Home.

I have never looked back and my clients love the product

My main aim for Pro Beauty North was to find a mineral make up range. I visited everybody, got loads of literature, and was most impressed by Fresh Minerals (both the products and the staff).

However, I have just looked at the catalogue that I brought home, ready to place my order, and it appears that the prices listed are for the big display stands :irked:

Now, maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I presumed that I could just order the foundation kit, or the eye kit, and maybe additional shades and bits and bobs. Is this right or is there a massive minimum order? I'm only mobile so just want the basic essentials for now...

Latest posts

Back