gobsmacked 100 grit file for etching the natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pippadoodle

Reaction score
Am I wrong ...... I have just logged onto a reputable nail company advertising 100 grit files for etching the natural nail:eek::eek::eek::eek: I for one would not like my natural nail etched with a 100 grit file. Maybe for sanding down the paintwork yes, why oh why cant all distributors, companies adhere to the same proceedures when caring for the natural nail.

Am I wrong ...... I have just logged onto a reputable nail company advertising 100 grit files for etching the natural nail:eek::eek::eek::eek: I for one would not like my natural nail etched with a 100 grit file.

you missed the big debate we had on this the other day then?

Am I wrong ...... I have just logged onto a reputable nail company advertising 100 grit files for etching the natural nail:eek::eek::eek::eek: I for one would not like my natural nail etched with a 100 grit file. Maybe for sanding down the paintwork yes, why oh why cant all distributors, companies adhere to the same proceedures when caring for the natural nail.
Surely if it is a Reputable company it could be a miss print? have you used the company before?

Hi Susan, yes sorry, just catching up as been recovering from surgery, just done search and interesting reading. xx

was is a 100 grit sponge file:green:

i missed it too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! off to peep

Hi Susan, yes sorry, just catching up as been recovering from surgery, just done search and interesting reading. xx

was it the same company, because i know another big brand that teaches this too, not sure if they still do , i'm talking about only 5 or 6 years ago though.

I will pm you the details. xx

:hug:Arh,bless, I wish you a speedy recovey:hug:

Oh dear, here we go again. :Scared: In MHO You should do whatever YOUR product line instructs. :green:

Oh dear, here we go again. :Scared: In MHO You should do whatever YOUR product line instructs. :green:
I must humbly disagree, just because your product line instructs you to do something does not mean that is necessarily right or set in stone. I was taught a lot of things in nail school that I have since realized were not correct, I find it a whole lot better to do prep as I have learned on here, because the nail plate DOES NOT need to be etched for product to adhere, the cuticle needs to be removed from the nail plate and the natural nail lightly buffed to remove the natural oils in the nail. I suggest you try a service without etching the nail plate and see just how long the nail will last and if there is any lifting...better yet, maybe do two nails on your own hand using each method and see which one lifts sooner. :hug:

Actually I am one step ahead of you and am already trying it :green: because I am open minded and what everyone has said about the 100 grit etching makes verbal sense. But there must be a reason why certain companies, not just Tammy Taylor are advising this. Could it just be that CND does not need the etching for its product to adhere because it was formulated differently? And if so then wouldn't we be advising incorrectly on how to use different systems to techs that don't use CND? Trust me, I am definitely trying it out. What I am finding lately though, is that it is best to just follow the instructions for the system you are using. However that doesn't mean that those instructions don't need to be revisited and analyzed. I am actually contacting Tammy Taylor about my concerns and questions about the 100 grit etch. Stay tuned. :green:

Cool! See, I use Tammy Taylor products myself, but I don't etch the nail plate and have had wonderful results. :hug:

Actually I am one step ahead of you and am already trying it :green: because I am open minded and what everyone has said about the 100 grit etching makes verbal sense. But there must be a reason why certain companies, not just Tammy Taylor are advising this. Could it just be that CND does not need the etching for its product to adhere because it was formulated differently? And if so then wouldn't we be advising incorrectly on how to use different systems to techs that don't use CND? Trust me, I am definitely trying it out. What I am finding lately though, is that it is best to just follow the instructions for the system you are using. However that doesn't mean that those instructions don't need to be revisited and analyzed. I am actually contacting Tammy Taylor about my concerns and questions about the 100 grit etch. Stay tuned. :green:

i see your point.
do let us know if you recieve a response from tt wont you, it would be very interesting to hear what they say.

This topic has recently been debated, quite heatedly, in another thread which then got closed by Sam. Would hate to see another thread go the same way.

However, I don't think it is just CND gels which do not need 100 grit files for etching nail plates. I am not a CND trained tech and both systems I trained on, Pronails and Calgel, do not require the nail plate to be etched.

No nail plate should ever be etched.

Cool! See, I use Tammy Taylor products myself, but I don't etch the nail plate and have had wonderful results. :hug:

more gentle prep worked for me with tt too.

ANYTHING will stick to a shredded, etched surface. Hence the reason MMA seems to 'stick so well' to the natural nail. MMA provides the absolute worst adhesion to the natural nail (far worse than the crappiest EMA based system). The reason why it appears to stick so well is that the average prep for MMA consists of:

Etch/Drill the natural nail to make it 'rougher' (this generally removes > 50% of the natural nail thickness).
Apply several coats of methacrylic acid to clean.

It is one way to take the cruddiest type of product out there and make it stick like one of the best. If your system requires you to do this - then you need to ask yourself: "Self, as a nail professional - why am I required to destroy my clients natural nails in order to enhance them?". Finally - ask them why. Remember that MMA does not damage the natural nail, however the techniques used to apply, maintain and remove MMA enhancements does. My only beef is that unless otherwise ill informed, I couldnt fathom why ANY professional would use MMA techniques.

Ding Ding, Round Two!!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I dont want to get involved in the debate as I've only used one system and couldnt make a qualified comment about anyone elses brand, but I can tell you this...

I, like most other CND techs, use a koala to remove shine from the natural nail during prep. The koala is a 240 grit. I find this job best when the koala is old and "dull". I recently had to change to a new one as the old one was looking bad and was starting to look bad to clients that I use tatty files, and I hate the new one. I'm cringing when I use it to remove shine and I'm doing it very gingerly because in my opinion, even with a brand new 240 grit, you have to be extremely careful, I dont want to scratch the nail, just remove the shine.

That said, I would hate to think what a 100 grit would do!

Again, I'm not involving myself in any brand debate, if other brands advise it, I couldnt possibly comment as I know nothing about those brands, but my experiences of removing shine with a 240 tell me that a 100 grit would be really harsh!

Well, so far I haven't gotten any proof from TT that 100 grit etch is ok and I haven't gotten any proof elsewhere that it is not. So I guess I will have to draw my own conclusions once I see the results of switching to a higher grit for the "etch" ie: shine removal. If I can get away with using the product in a healthier manner for the nail then that would be great! :green:

Well, so far I haven't gotten any proof from TT that 100 grit etch is ok and I haven't gotten any proof elsewhere that it is not. So I guess I will have to draw my own conclusions once I see the results of switching to a higher grit for the "etch" ie: shine removal. If I can get away with using the product in a healthier manner for the nail then that would be great! :green:

I'm not sure I understand why you need proof that a 100 grit file damages/or doesn't damage the nail plate.

Eating too much saturated fat may or may not lead to heart disease. Driving over the legal alcohol limit may or may not result in a terrible accident. We could go on and on with examples and draw our own conclusions with loads of things but why take the risks when it is well documented that anything less than a 240 grit buffer/file should not be used on the nail plate?

With all due respect you HAVE been given the proof that using 100 grit on the natural nail IS damaging,Gigi and Sam have given plenty of cold hard facts on this subject recently.

Being the teachers they are,they won't tire of continuing to do so

I'll say it again,but with all due respect it seems to me you will not accept FACT untill it is confirmed by TT. IMO it say's a lot that they haven't even responded !

Latest posts

Back