Going it from home - your experiences

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Vie

Reaction score
For lots of reasons I've recently given up my room in a salon, I left on very good terms with all of my client list intact and am continuing to do mobile work. I would really love to work from home but I'm struggling to know where to start.

We live in a 2 bed with 2 children so have no spare bedroom/dining room/no garden= no conservatory, the only available space would be a corner of the livingroom. I know my clients and I know that they wouldn't mind this at all providing it looks good and is clean and I know plenty of you guys do it.

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some words of wisdom on how to get started, what you have done to make your business space professional whilst not taking over your family space. Do you have any clever storage or display ideas or have you used room dividers to keep the space separate?

I know we have the 'show us your set ups' thread, which is fab but I can't find anything specifically for what I'm looking for.

Also are there any specific regulations I need to comply with (other than actually getting permission from my council and general HABIA guidelines for services)?

Hi.

I've worked from home for over 2 years now and it's the best thing I've ever done.

How big is your garden? Have you considered A garden cabin?

You will need to make sure you inform the council you'll be working from home, but generally there ok as long your clients arent blocking the road etc.

You'll also need to tell your house insurance provided and also sort out insurance for your treatments.

Would it be an option to move both kids in together maybe?

It all depends on your circumstances, as most of my clients can only do evenings if I were doing it from my front room it would make life hard with having my kids around and also my partner wouldn't be able to sit and chill out as it would make him and the client uncomfortable.

Hope that's helped a little bit :) good luck x

Sorry just saw the no garden bit. What about a dining room? Or how big is your kitchen could you section off part of that?x

No garden or dining room here unfortunately and the kids already share together. The kitchen is tiny and the only available space is in the livingroom.

The idea is that I will eventually do daytimes from home and any evening appointments would be mobile so that the family can have the house back lol

I'm insured for wherever I work but good point about the house insurance, will look at that. x

Latest posts

Back