Quantcast

Going mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
Hi Everyone,I am new to this colum,I am presently self employed in a salon but due to everything going on at the moment was thinking of going mobile!I have always worked with the same group of people for 10-20 years so will be a huge leap for me!90% of me wants the change but the other 10% is holding me back.worried about how to space bookings out in book ,washing over the sink ,should I bring my own shampoo/conditioner?I keep hearing about registering with the council ,why do I need to do this?
 

Jennhartt

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
London
When you’re mobile yes you need to bring your own shampoo & conditioner! I can earn the same amount of money doing 1 client a day cut & colour to what I was earning doing 10 cuts a day being knackered & stressed in the salon !
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
Hi Thanks for replying 😃I’m just abit wary because of the unknown!Did u register with your local council?Shampoos and conditioners did u buy ones for different hair types?
 

Jennhartt

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
London
Hi no but I have a bectu insurance as I’m a makeup artist too.
I just bring ones for coloured hair and then men use that too & it’s never been a problem
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
Hi no but I have a bectu insurance as I’m a makeup artist too.
I just bring ones for coloured hair and then men use that too & it’s never been a problem
I already have salon gold insurance,but I read u needed to register with the council and I wondered why?
 

Jennhartt

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
London
I’m registered as self employed. Other than that I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve been freelance for 19 years and never had a problem
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
I’m registered as self employed. Other than that I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve been freelance for 19 years and never had a problem
Ok thanks 👍
 

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Premium Geek
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
10,364
Reaction score
6,612
Location
West Cork, Ireland
I already have salon gold insurance,but I read u needed to register with the council and I wondered why?
It depends on your local council and the services that you offer.
Some councils have enacted bylaws that require self employed people to register with them and prove their qualifications and insurance cover. Generally, its for services that involve more stringent hygiene measures such as microblading so hairdressers aren’t normally included.

However, your council might be different, so a quick phone call will resolve your issue.

It’s unusual to go from being self employed in a salon to working mobile, usually, it’s the other way round. What’s made you want to switch especially, as you’re more in control of sanitation and hygiene in a salon setting?
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
I am paying a lot of rent to rent a chair.When we reopened I was really busy but it has slackened off,So barely covering my rent some days!I think some of my clients are still isolating and some are doing their own colours or going somewhere cheaper.Still undecided what to do ,have text clients 3/4 say they will go mobile,it’s the whole washing hair over the bath and making sure I spaced clients in between appointments!Hope that makes sense!
 

Angiebaby236

New Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
Edinburgh
Hey. Fairly different but I have a little salon within a gym so can’t open so working from my house and visiting some clients. Loving it that much that I’ve now decided to give up the salon. Can do less clients with no rent etc. I’ve also bought a portable back wash unit that is really light to carry and means you can wash your clients hair comfortably 🤗
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
Hey. Fairly different but I have a little salon within a gym so can’t open so working from my house and visiting some clients. Loving it that much that I’ve now decided to give up the salon. Can do less clients with no rent etc. I’ve also bought a portable back wash unit that is really light to carry and means you can wash your clients hair comfortably 🤗
Thanks for your feedback 👍
 

Mels

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwickshire
Do u mind me asking where you got the portable backwash from,just wondering how I would rinse colours and foils off?x
 

Latest posts

Top