gone mobile and going nuts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamimac

Stringfellows Geek
Reaction score
hi geeks
I've just moved here from abroad and have set myself up in a salon on a self employed basis. I am also available for freelance work. Unfortunatly this is a small town and work is really slow. I am advertising (posters, mail drops local papers ect) but I'm not making any money.How long do you think I should persist before I throw in the towel and get a office job? I am a good nail tech and i want to work in the industry especially as I have bought in all my products and invested quite a bit already. At what point is it just 'good money after bad?'

tamimac said:
hi geeks
I've just moved here from abroad and have set myself up in a salon on a self employed basis. I am also available for freelance work. Unfortunatly this is a small town and work is really slow. I am advertising (posters, mail drops local papers ect) but I'm not making any money.How long do you think I should persist before I throw in the towel and get a office job? I am a good nail tech and i want to work in the industry especially as I have bought in all my products and invested quite a bit already. At what point is it just 'good money after bad?'

How about working in nearer towns? You are quite near to Reading, where I live and and Oxford? There are quite a few affluent areas around, like Caversham in Reading a few miles from you, where you wont be short of business!

Dont give up just yet! Goodluck.

yeah, i am advertising in all the surrounding towns but oxford is about 30min away and reading is a fairish motorway trip. I think my confidence is just a little low at the mo. I will give it afew more months and hope the xmas season kickstarts things. Thanks, maybe it was unrealistic to move to a new area and expect to be working full time mobile... lord give me patience.

I wouldn't give up just yet. It is a slow time of year and it does take a while to get in customers. Have a look at your fliers and pass them to family and friends to see what they think. Perhaps you could offer a promotion to get people in?

I'm getting there it takes time I know, but don't give up yet!

The free listing I had on yell.com got me some new customers. You can also get free listings on Thomson and BT.

Why don't you temp for a while that way you have some money until you get your customer base up and running. And you can promote yourself at work - perfect!!

Good luck!

Hi! I have just gone mobile & am getting into things like Autumn Fairs & Christmas Fairs. I do a quick massage - just hands & basic tidy up & buff. Have some nail art samples with you. Hopefully this will raise your profile locally. How about trying wedding fairs? School fundraisers? You have a fairly captive audience! Good luck!
tamimac said:
hi geeks

Entice people with your work... Target people who are in contact with lots of others preferably the general public. Try sending your advertising material and offering discounted rates to staff members of banks, supermarkets, local shops etc providing they recommend you to anyone complimenting their nails. If you get no new customers or repeat business from them only offer the discount on their first set.

I am based in a VERY small town where a few not so reputable nail techs operate and a lot of customers I have been on contact with have had a bad expereince and so it is hard to persuade them to try some one new.

I have found the best way is to show them what you can do!

A real must is ALWAYS make sure your nails are of the same standard you would produce on a customer.

I have been operating for just under six months and am currently booked working a 33 hour week.

Persevere and believe in your talent and you will be fine!!!

Thanks guys. there are some brilliant ideas there. booked in to work at a local xmas gift buying evening doing quick shape and polishes and selling some retail stuff and vouchers. gonna put my flyers in the local wedding dress shop and a very classy evening gown shop. will have a think about all the other ideas and see what i can do. keep them coming
tamimac

Latest posts

Back