Good book recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Hi it's been a whole since I last read and need a book by next week as I'm off work and would love to escape, in my head anyway.
Any good books? If you have the name and a brief description it would help me choose the right one for me & if there isn't a thread already this might be a good place others can share and discover too.

Personally I didn't rate 50 shades but it was an easy read for myself as I'm a fairly new to novels. I do like sci fi, not south chick flicks though.

The Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin are amazing! You do have to concentrate especially with the first book until you get to know the characters but it's definitely worth it.

I'm reading the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay at the moment which are what the tv series was based on and they are a good easy read (Don't be put off by the fact that he's a serial killer it isn't too gory).

Another good book is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which is about a woman who goes missing (not at all chick flick).

I could go on and on, I love reading! Harry Potter books are great too if you've not read them.

The hunger games trilogy are really good! I've read them all twice and watched the film a couple if times too!

I want to start the game of thrones, but I just know ill get nothing done if I get into them!

I read all sorts but here are a few I've enjoyed....

The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey
Based on a Russian fairy tale - well written and gentle.

Black Sheep - C J Lyons
- scary but I'm a wuss and managed to read it

Anything by Emily Barr
An easy read but more depth than chick lit.

Katia Leif - well written, psychological, bit scary (very scary for me :))

Geraldine Brook - years of wonder
Fiction based on truth - an account of a family during the plague

Phillipa Gregory - anything
Historical fiction - mostly based on during various reigns of kings and queens and the intricacies of court life

I like biographies, iv just bought dave grohls, from foo fighters/nirvana & anthony keidis from the red hot chilli peppers. I read janice dickensons last year, i stumbled across it & got hooked which is bizarre because i cant stand her!!

The snow child was brilliant!!!

The night circus- is about a circus that rolls in at night, and is kind of magical and mysterious. I read it for book club and loved it!!!!

The hunger games- dystopian future, not my kind of thing- but I LOVED it!!!

The book thief- nazi germany, a poor girl gets adopted by German family... Very very verrrry good!!!

One million little pieces by James Frey, one of the best books I've ever read, read it a few times now!

Another vote for the hunger games. I wasn't sure about them because they're classed as teen fiction but I absolutely loved them read all 3 in under 2 weeks they totally took over my life!!! I've just started game of thrones I'm enjoying it but its no hunger games.

If you like crime/thriller give Karen rose a try or if you like vampires and supernatural try the Anita Blake vampire hunter novels by laurell k. Hamilton. For easy reading I love a bit of terry pratchett did world always brilliantly witty xxx

Gone Girl is the best book I have read for years. Amazing story with some incredible twists. It is being made in to a film with Ben Aflek, cant wait

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Phillipa Gregory - WideAcre
About a family who own land with folk living on it, the trials and tribulations of sibling hierarchy and a lil sick twist :)

Anything by James Herbert is good, especially Once and Nobody True.
He has a good intermixed group of books, Haunted, Ghosts of Sleath and Ash.

Rani Manica - The Rice Mother
Based on a story of a family involved in the Japanese war. I think its a fictional story in a real life event.

Cant see author as daughter has my book - A Walk in the Sun
Based on survivors of a tsunami and separation n their life.
Again a fictional story in a real life event.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Karen Rose is my all time favourite author! Had 11 or 12 books all follow on from one another & i love them! Kind of murder/crime who-dunnits but the way they are written is amazing

I love reading young adult fantasy. I like the easy read, typical love stories. I like the whole typical'ness (for want if a better word) of young adult books.

The hunger games - I loved this series I just didn't expect loads hat happened.
Beautiful creatures series - great books. Had me hooked from start to finish. I cried and cried like a baby at many points. I did get very attached to the characters.
Twilight - the best ever ;-) I am absolutely in love with twilight it what's spured into reading just 21 months ago. I am utterly obsessed. I have read all the books 7 times, read the last book a few more times, and read the 2nd half of the last book a few more times again!
The guardian trilogy - loved it book 2 was a struggle initially but once it got going it was good.
The residue series - a series linked to the guardian trilogy from the same author. I loved the main characters and everything them represented. I read all the books in a week whilst I was in holiday.
Divergent trilogy - I only the first 2 are out, the third is out jn October. A dystopian story but got me hooked, I wasn't expecting that!
But even though I absolutely love twilight. The books I really really enjoyed and can not wait to see the film adaptation is The Mortal Instruments. They absolutely took over my life. The main characters won me over from the beginning.
There are a set if prequels The Infernal devices. Again very good and set in the same world but in the past and based in london.

There are many more I've read but these are my fav's.

The only non YA books I've read are 50 shades of grey - loved them, the host - I liked it but found it didn't really have a climax it just ended, but its supposed tk be a trilogy so maybe it will come. And then loads of autobiographies - Alan sugar, Peter jones, James Kaann etc

I love reading.

I've just started the Delerium series another dystopian story, I have no rating if this as I am I only page 12.

I find it hard to start a new book. I prefer to re-read books that i know i like. Is it just me?

Jemima :)

I've finally bought the first instalment of Persianista's book after ready this thread. Very concerned though as a lot if the Amazon reviews said they read it in one sitting, which means my kids and nails might be neglected on my day off tomorrow :)

I love reading young adult fantasy. I like the easy read, typical love stories. I like the whole typical'ness (for want if a better word) of young adult books.

The hunger games - I loved this series I just didn't expect loads hat happened.
Beautiful creatures series - great books. Had me hooked from start to finish. I cried and cried like a baby at many points. I did get very attached to the characters.
Twilight - the best ever ;-) I am absolutely in love with twilight it what's spured into reading just 21 months ago. I am utterly obsessed. I have read all the books 7 times, read the last book a few more times, and read the 2nd half of the last book a few more times again!
The guardian trilogy - loved it book 2 was a struggle initially but once it got going it was good.
The residue series - a series linked to the guardian trilogy from the same author. I loved the main characters and everything them represented. I read all the books in a week whilst I was in holiday.
Divergent trilogy - I only the first 2 are out, the third is out jn October. A dystopian story but got me hooked, I wasn't expecting that!
But even though I absolutely love twilight. The books I really really enjoyed and can not wait to see the film adaptation is The Mortal Instruments. They absolutely took over my life. The main characters won me over from the beginning.
There are a set if prequels The Infernal devices. Again very good and set in the same world but in the past and based in london.

There are many more I've read but these are my fav's.

The only non YA books I've read are 50 shades of grey - loved them, the host - I liked it but found it didn't really have a climax it just ended, but its supposed tk be a trilogy so maybe it will come. And then loads of autobiographies - Alan sugar, Peter jones, James Kaann etc

I love reading.

I've just started the Delerium series another dystopian story, I have no rating if this as I am I only page 12.

I find it hard to start a new book. I prefer to re-read books that i know i like. Is it just me?

Jemima :)

have you read any by Garth nix? It sounds like you'd like his books try sabriel its the first in a trilogy for young adults its brilliant. Now you've reminded me of it I might read it again next. or there's the keys to the kingdom series which starts with mister Monday I think the keys to the kingdom series is actually for younger teens but I loved them as they're quite dark but easy reading. Or again try laurell k. Hamilton the Anita Blake series is really a good a bit like a more adult twilight but with vamps, werewolves, demons and zombies xxx

Last edited:
The best book I have read is please dont let me go (cant remember the author) its about a catholic boy whos dad was horrible to him and sent him to a catholic church school to stay where he really suffers! Really good read

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to read anything by Fiona Walker who writes Jilly Cooper-esque but now more into crime/thriller fiction and I'm an avid reader of Matt Hilton and Karen Rose. The former is more of a Bruce Willis action type read, Karen Rose more like hardcore Law & Order USA with a bit of romance flung in. I love Lee Weeks books with Jonny Mann in them, the last of which brought me to tears as her writing was so real and horrifying. Michael Moselys Spider and Viper were unputdownable as well, if you're into serial killers, these are for you :)

a thousand splendid suns by Kalid Hussein........un-put-down-able

Insurgent and Divergent by Veronica Roth. They are the first two or a trilogy (3rd due at end of year) it is a dystopian society where people are split into different factions according to their place in society, very good books and I believe are being made into a film

Also the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward is about a war going on between vampires and the lesser society, v good

Can I have a not more detail on gone girl and game of thrones? Xx

Latest posts

Back