Good colours ain't cheap, cheap colours ain't good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake nattrass hair

Reaction score
Does anyone else believe this?
I have always used wella, tried nxt once and found it rubbish, grey coverage wasn't great, colours are flat and matte and just washed straight out. I am a believer of you get what you pay for when it comes to hair colours like the title says.
Am I stuck in my ways or does anyone else agree with me? I am yet to find a colour house that is much more cost effective/friendly which offers a wide variety of colours and tone which don't seem to be a disappointment? Just intrested to see people's opinions.

I agree- I use Wella and mainly Illumina my prices reflect this and I shop around for my colour and try to buy on offer - I use scales to weigh it all and have little waste

thankyou the lady who co-owns a hair & beauty supply superstore where I get my stock from always tells me how the NXT and colourissimo colours fly off the shelves as they retail at a much LoweR price than say wella/L'Oréal and I just think how?! From my experiences they are rubbish. Was begging to think is it just me Lol...

thankyou the lady who co-owns a hair & beauty supply superstore where I get my stock from always tells me how the NXT and colourissimo colours fly off the shelves as they retail at a much LoweR price than say wella/L'Oréal and I just think how?! From my experiences they are rubbish. Was begging to think is it just me Lol...
We used to use matrix and goldwell, after switching solely to wella, the results have been nothing short of amazing

I can tell you now that so many people are talked into using NxT etc but they soon go back .

To be honest I don’t want to compare my services with cheaper colour users. My product is reliable and gives good results, my clients get what they pay for and I don’t think they would feel the same if they saw me using cheaper colour on their hair. They can’t get anything like Illumina in the chemist and I offer bond protectors etc.

It depends how you see your business and what you want to offer in my opinion

It's like comparing a cheap little runaround car with a huge luxury brand car.
They both get you from A to B so do the job intended but you get additional benefits with the luxury car.

If you're using the more expensive colour products, you need to market them as a luxury service.

What is everyone’s opinion of rusk? I’m newly qualified and in the salon we use L’Oréal and Schwarzkopf but for colouring and toning, I love rusk. I use the quasi and demi on myself and permenant/quasi on my sisters hair which has a lot more grey. I just love the depth, shine and how well the colours stay but we don’t go higher than a level 8 so unsure how it is across the board colour wise.

I use lots off different brands majirel for dark brunettes, colour touch for lowlights and toning and illumina for toning and everything else. The only NXT Colours I like are 7.13 for lowlights and 6.3, the darker colours grab, smell horrible, leave the hair feeling awful and fade out badly

It's really variable. For instance De lonrenzo is my favourite brand and yet it's cheaper then some like wella (witch I'm not a fan of) because its not imported.

I've tried a few brands over the years. I was In a salon that used clynol which I liked ... we then moved over to L'Oréal which I wasn't a fan of (felt like grey coverage wasn't as good as clynol and wasn't a fan of the bases) Since leaving the salon and going mobile I have tried a slightly cheaper brand that flys off the shelf in my local wholesaler called lisap lk ( Italian brand) and I do like to use them for my bases now as the grey coverage has been brilliant also have toned using it and happy with the result. I once used 'xp' and hated it. I do love wella illumina for toning though!

Have you tried ID . I've been quite impressed by them !

Trade Hair Supplies they're the sole UK distributor for them X

Latest posts

Back