Good make up to use in salon that won't break the bank?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetyrex

Reaction score
I'm about to start working in a brand new salon and my boss (who has no beauty experience) is leaving the product choosing to me and another therapist.
As exciting as this is it's also frustrating as we understand the cost of products(ie, you get what you pay for!) and want to work with good brands but she wasnt prepared for how much things could be! I think she looked at cheap options before we came on board.
Everything is picked now apart from make up. Now I am a bit of a brand snob and don't like cheap alternatives. She has asked us to get make up as cheap as possible, now I don't even like and can't use rubbish make up and bruushes! She wanted us to go to Tesco and buy it from there! Myself and the other therapist agreed that does not look professional and doesnt give us any retail options but I just know it will be hard convincing her to spend money on makeup when we have overspent on all the other products!
So.... what I'm asking is what brands are you using in your salons, do you like? do your clients like it? And is there anything you can recommend that is decent, that won't break the bank(no min order if poss!) and that we could even retail as well.
Sorry for the long post! Hope you've mangaged to get to my question!!
xx

anyone?! :Grope:

When I had a salon I used Barbara Bort - it is an italian company although they have a distributor in the uk.

Stays where its put - fab for weddings - good coverage - similar to Mac but at a fraction of the cost.

They do a great display stand for the shop too.

Contact is a lady called Sophie - I'm sure if you google it you will find the website and number, maybe previous threads on here too. I still use it personally now as you can purchase retail as well.

Hi I use Royal Effem they are an italian range! Fab products and a good price too! My clients love the range! Its a job to decide because there is so much choice out there! You also have a good mineral make up range to! Get some samples from companies, that will help u decide! Good luck x

Karaja is also nice and affordable, they're Italian as well lol

thanks geeks! seems the italians know how to do it! I love bare minerals and art deco but the opening order is too much for my boss so thans, i'll check out your suggestions!

Hi,

I have something that's about to launch to salons and are working alongside this brand. Pm me your details and I will send you info etc for the launch that's happening soon. High quality but everything retails under a reasonable price.

There is no minimum order with artdeco. You don't have to buy the whole retail stand. Just buy a few products to use and sell x

There is no minimum order with artdeco. You don't have to buy the whole retail stand. Just buy a few products to use and sell x

Ahhh, good to know thanks! Do you know if you can just buy the testers you want to start with and add retail later?

Yes you can buy just testers and add later. Give them a ring - sorry don't have the phone number here - they will either talk you through it or send you a rep. My rep is called Dee and she is fab xx

Yes you can buy just testers and add later. Give them a ring - sorry don't have the phone number here - they will either talk you through it or send you a rep. My rep is called Dee and she is fab xx

Thanks, I have got a price list from them a while ago so thats how I knew they sold testers but thought they had mentioned a min order. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.

Thanks, I have got a price list from them a while ago so that's how I knew they sold testers but thought they had mentioned a min order. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.
From memory they do a really good started kit with a ton of products in it for a great price. When I got mine you got 6 foundations which I thought was brilliant as you could try the full range so you could compare finishes. It also includes eye-shadows, pencils, bronzer, blusher, mascara, concealer. I bought mine, and have just built my kit up from there, I dont retail I only provide make up service, still it a good place to start. hth

From memory they do a really good started kit with a ton of products in it for a great price. When I got mine you got 6 foundations which I thought was brilliant as you could try the full range so you could compare finishes. It also includes eye-shadows, pencils, bronzer, blusher, mascara, concealer. I bought mine, and have just built my kit up from there, I dont retail I only provide make up service, still it a good place to start. hth

Thanks, sounds like what I would like and the other therapist! Think my boss was hoping we could get the lot from tesco for £30! Need to educate her on makeup me thinks!

just out of interest is art deco different in the shops to what it is when you buy professional, as where I live it selss for €2/3 per eyeshadow whereas I was paying alot more in England so I cant work out if they is a difference, It has the same Packaging....

Blank canvas do a really good selection of brushes - They don't shed and are really reasonable. Also would you consider just getting some bits you like as opposed to buying into a full range. I find inglot do excellent palettes and are quite reasonable.

Latest posts

Back