Grey hair coming through

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoseley07

Reaction score
I had a client call today asking when I did her hair last because her grey is coming through really bad. I checked and it was 4 weeks ago??! What do I even say? I said it's probably just her regrowth coming through but told her to pop in tomorrow so I can check.
What do I say to her without sounding like I'm being funny about it. It was 4 weeks ago so of course she will have roots coming through, she is a client who I've been doing a long time so I don't want to upset her but I ain't doing it again for her if it's because its just regrowth.

How often does she usually have her roots done?

It varies, sometimes 6-8 weeks sometimes 10. She just comes in when she feels it needs doing

I have clients I touch there root up every 3 weeks.
Just tell her she will need to start getting it done every 4 week if she doesn't want to see any grey.

I think it would be best to have her come in so you can check whether it IS regrowth. Or there is something wrong with how the colour took.

Ask her to bring in her shampoo etc etc.

I imagine if it isn't the regrowth it's because she uses shoddy products?

I'd also explain as we get older our hair changes and might need touching up more regularly

I have a lot of older clients who are 100% white! They normally have between a level 5 to 7 applied every 4 weeks
I always try and talk them into having highlights to blend the white hair, and give them a bit longer with their regrowth

Probs just her regrowth. Possibly more grey than before hence she's noticed it now at 4 weeks

I have found my roots come through a lot quicker and have put it down to my shampoo as have been using Nioxin recently but it was expensive so I don't want to stop using it lol!

I have found my roots come through a lot quicker and have put it down to my shampoo as have been using Nioxin recently but it was expensive so I don't want to stop using it lol!

Thats a good thing! Means your hairs growing!

Thanks everyone. She never came in today so she probably thought yeah it is regrowth or will just come in tomorrow or something. She does have a lot of white hair! Very stubborn too! I'm just hoping it's not colour fade and that it is just regrowth. I have a lot of clients coming in every 3-4 weeks to have their roots touched up so i think she needs to start coming more regular!

Thats a good thing! Means your hairs growing!
That's good then, it does feel stronger & less in the brush after blowdrying plus I have also been using olaplex so hopefully that helps with the breakage. My hair is just really thin and fine and can easily see scalp although luckily cos it's dark it looks thicker than it is.

Thanks everyone. She never came in today so she probably thought yeah it is regrowth or will just come in tomorrow or something. She does have a lot of white hair! Very stubborn too! I'm just hoping it's not colour fade and that it is just regrowth. I have a lot of clients coming in every 3-4 weeks to have their roots touched up so i think she needs to start coming more regular!
But do you not think if it was colour fade, it would be whole strands from root to tip not just the roots? I think it's down to new growth and she prob just needs to have it done a bit sooner or check her shampoo products.

But do you not think if it was colour fade, it would be whole strands from root to tip not just the roots? I think it's down to new growth and she prob just needs to have it done a bit sooner or check her shampoo products.
I'll know straight away when I see her, if it's a solid line then it's clearly regrowth, if it's scattered grey then fade. I would understand if she said this after like a week or two but four weeks down the line?

I've got clients who don't wash their hair for 2 weeks after I've done it. So it could be fine for the first two weeks. Then she washes it week three and week four and then the fading is noticeable.

Latest posts

Back