Grey toning help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina1990

Reaction score
Hi I've been in and out of hairdressing last couple of years due to having babies and I'm also freelance so could use some help, i have attached pics of finished result. My client wants an ash grey look and I lifted to level 10 and toned with wella 8/81 I had it on for 25 mins, usually i have toners on 5 mins max but feel like it didn't do much, just wondering if anyone could tell me why it didn't take much and any other suggestions on what to do? I lifted it with blonde me to a level 10...

It’s generally a 2 step process. You have to tone out the yellow to neutralise the hair first then apply an ash grey toner. Otherwise the violet in the ash simply neutralises the yellow and effectively dilutes the colour.

Hi I've been in and out of hairdressing last couple of years due to having babies and I'm also freelance so could use some help, i have attached pics of finished result. My client wants an ash grey look and I lifted to level 10 and toned with wella 8/81 I had it on for 25 mins, usually i have toners on 5 mins max but feel like it didn't do much, just wondering if anyone could tell me why it didn't take much and any other suggestions on what to do? I lifted it with blonde me to a level 10...
Also don't forget no conditioner before toning. Always use 1.9% for toning (CT)

You need a clean base 10 to start. So pre tone and neutralise with final toner x

I found the CT with 1:9 vol just washed out tho, didn't last much over a week for my lady!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181009-184731.png
    Screenshot_20181009-184731.png
    604.1 KB · Views: 64
I found the CT with 1:9 vol just washed out tho, didn't last much over a week for my lady!
Do you double tone? Maybe look at 10/6 +1.9% first then toning with 8/81+1.9%
1.9% is the best developer to use for depositing colour, anything higher is opening the cuticle higher than is needed making the hair more porous. Do you do a cleansing shampoo before toning?

Do you double tone? Maybe look at 10/6 +1.9% first then toning with 8/81+1.9%
1.9% is the best developer to use for depositing colour, anything higher is opening the cuticle higher than is needed making the hair more porous. Do you do a cleansing shampoo before toning?
This is with colour touch though isn't it? When I used that before is was only grey for a week and went blonde again!

This is with colour touch though isn't it? When I used that before is was only grey for a week and went blonde again!

That’s more likely due to poor aftercare by the client.

It is, realistically no matter what you put over pre lightened hair will never be permanent. Even if you used illumina, or koleston it's not going last any longer, and it just causes more damage. What is the condition of your hair like?

The hair condition is fine we are very careful not to over process the hair, I tried the recommended illumina 9/60.... Shocking. So glad I did it on a hair extension and not my client as it went lilac!! I've used an 8/81 semi CT and will see how it sustains itself for now she is happy!!

Illlumia 7/81 is my go to grey.
Here it is applied to level 10 bleached hair

Attachments

• 9D0C78AA-6D32-47FD-9113-BDB0D93D0ACC.jpeg
    9D0C78AA-6D32-47FD-9113-BDB0D93D0ACC.jpeg
    824.7 KB · Views: 56
Wella don’t do a 10 vol but they do Welloxon Perfect 6% or Perfect Pastel.

You need a clean base 10 to start. So pre tone and neutralise with final toner x
Can you mix neutralise colour(violet) and final colour (ash) together so your just doing it in one go?

Latest posts

Back