Groupon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley865

Reaction score
Hi sorry to post another groupon topic but just been talking to a rep and he has said in my area maximum price for wash cut and blow dry is £17 and I would then get £8.84 but it may not even be that much may be more near £15. I said about capping number of vouchers he said you need to sell a minimum of 100 for it to be worth groupons while. I work in my salon alone and could free up 3 hours a day for groupon but don't know if it's gona b worth it? Would I be better off spending money on leaflets with a £25 cut and finish offer... Hmmm advice wud b much appreciated thanks guys xxx

Im not a salon owner, but £17 for a cut and blow dry is well cheap.

You may struggle if theres only you working in the salon but It could be worth a try

Yeah I'm starting to think groupon doesn't make sense for me now! Anyone know any other sites that are good? Living social don't cover my area ! X

Don't go near groupon! Or KGB x

Lol ok thanks, u just confirmed it for me haha! Seems a lot of work and they may not even return.

I did a KGB and yes I've got 5 returning clients every 5 weeks, from the 70 that originally brought the deal, but everyone else went on to find the next cheap deal, I did a wash, cut, deep treatment and blowdry for £9 quid!!

This was before I opened my salon I rented a chair and it was hell! X

I am nearing the end of my groupon deal.

I did choose 3 treatments for £23 or 3 treatments for 2 people for £45. We sold 87 deals and it's been fine.

The customers on teem to read the groupon and presume all beauty salons will be big.

We're a small 1 room salon and we can offer twin beds on Thursday and Saturday afternoons only - it was in the fine print but still people complained about it (not many tho).

I would do a 1 person deal again but definitely not a 2 person deal.

I have a database of clients and using them I generated more money than I will take via groupon. I can't say what it was on here but I'm happy for anyone to PM me.

We are nearing the end of the deal it expires 14th October but we only have a couple of afternoons available for the 2 person deal and loads of unclaimed vouchers. S I can see people getting annoyed. But they have had since may to book it so I'm not going to get stressed about it. Most people have travelled over 20 miles to get to us and will never return but we have made some regular clients from it, and raised people's awareness, so it's done it's job for me.

I am happy with groupon and groupons customer service, they have paid every single voucher and never a day late.

If a business is struggling I'm not sure groupon is the right way, you make NO money on a groupon deal it's just a way to advertise your business and not have to pay for it up front.

X

I've never ran a groupon offer but a beauty therapist friend of mine did a spray tanning offer she had nearly a 3 month waiting list to get an appointment and by the end costs run so high she had to cut corners and use a cheaper tanning solution than the one specified, and she was still actually making a loss I think she was getting £4.50 per tan and groupon took the same. People were complaining and this bad service damaged her reputation and she had to give up renting part time from the salon she was in as her diary was overcome by groupon bookings and she wasnt making enough to cover the rent. I would steer clear of any deal site and as someone else said, clients like this will just move onto the next offer it's unlikely they will give you any return!
There are deal websites like this popping up everywhere trying to cash in but they won't last. The phase is already dying out as more and more people are realising this and not offering them to their customers anymore. I would much rather run my own special offers and keep 100% of the money I make I understand that you don't reach the audience that groupon does but it paid off for me and brought in a steady stream of new clients, introduce/bring a friend scheme is always popular too!

I have done a living social deal and it has worked fantastic I would do another one!
Xx

I have done a living social deal and it has worked fantastic I would do another one!
Xx

Would you be prepared to explain how it was fantastic? As with anything, we all tend to speak up more when there's a problem, & less when things run smoothly.

I read a few comments on SG from people that these group sites work well, but would love to know more detaials, so I can try work our how to make it work for me.

Thanks x

I am nearing the end of my groupon deal.

I did choose 3 treatments for £23 or 3 treatments for 2 people for £45. We sold 87 deals and it's been fine.

The customers on teem to read the groupon and presume all beauty salons will be big.

We're a small 1 room salon and we can offer twin beds on Thursday and Saturday afternoons only - it was in the fine print but still people complained about it (not many tho).

I would do a 1 person deal again but definitely not a 2 person deal.

I have a database of clients and using them I generated more money than I will take via groupon. I can't say what it was on here but I'm happy for anyone to PM me.

We are nearing the end of the deal it expires 14th October but we only have a couple of afternoons available for the 2 person deal and loads of unclaimed vouchers. S I can see people getting annoyed. But they have had since may to book it so I'm not going to get stressed about it. Most people have travelled over 20 miles to get to us and will never return but we have made some regular clients from it, and raised people's awareness, so it's done it's job for me.

I am happy with groupon and groupons customer service, they have paid every single voucher and never a day late.

If a business is struggling I'm not sure groupon is the right way, you make NO money on a groupon deal it's just a way to advertise your business and not have to pay for it up front.

X

Thanks that's useful to know x

Has anyone had any experiences with wowcher? Are they the same as groupon? x

We have used groupon & a local company. I have to say if you take control of the voucher & understand the system they use then you can make money & build a business.

Example: 2 hours beauty pampering
You need to factor in the time it takes to do the treatment and product costs
so if you pay £6.50 per hour thats £13 you need to pay your staff then lets say £4 for massage/facial products... So for this deal you need around £17, usually Groupon work on a 50/50 so you need to be charging £34 for the pampering session and based on their minimum 50% discount yours pampering needs to be worth more than £68. A 2 hour pamper in most of the places I know would come to around £100 so you can afford charge £40 for this deal and make £6 after staff and product costs.

Don't let Groupon or any of the other companies bully you into thinking that they can only do this type of deal for £x, its crap!

You also need to control the content of the offer so you can 'up sell' a product where possible, so if your doing a Manicure offer then never include Nail Art or French Polish in the offer, likewise with a Pedicure.

Once a customer comes for the treatments then have together a little 'pack' for them, this should include your price list, a % discount on their next visit and a little list of your current offers. You also should be recommending further treatments without being pushy so if a customer has a really knotty back then just mention a course of massages would help this and you could work on that area to relieve the tension etc!

My deal was an Elemis facial they could either buy one or three,I would say 50% bought three. It was great because I could then sell them a product or two that I would recommend for their skin,give out my price list to people who maybe didn't know my salon was there or didn't know I stocked Elemis.i do still have about 25hours of treatment time let to do but my clients only have until October to get their treatments done after that I can turn people away if I want that's up to me. I will run another offer again but only a deal where I can recommend a retail sale and get my clients to spend money.

Xx

as a side deal we offered upgrades.
£3 extra to upgrade to luxury mani/pedi
£5 extra to uprade to luxury facial
25% off any other treatments taken on the day.

We always had the wax pot on and have done a few EBW's, we upgraded alot to luxur mani/pedi and facials.

We had a groupon deal in the other day who spen an extra £34.50 on upgrades and solar oil.

Its nto all bad, you just need to know ho to make it work.

We're 20 odd miles out of our nearest City which is why we didnt sell many deals. Im happy with 80 odd deals.

x

Latest posts

Back