Guesstimates of how much things cost

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgieanne

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been asked my a close friend to do some treatments (salon not open yet), i was hesitant on wanting her to pay full price and so she said 'well how about i just pay for the products you use, so you don't loose any money'

Im needing to come up with prices of manicure, pedicure, eyelash extensions, shellac and O.P.I file and paint, Facial massage (half hour-hour) on 'friends rates'
I have vowed to myself to just do her rates and no one else as I know it will end up getting out of control otherwise! and not actually making anything!
but how would you work out your product costs? any advice welcomed! need it for thursday!
of course I want to make a small amount and also not loose out X

Hello,

I have been asked my a close friend to do some treatments (salon not open yet), i was hesitant on wanting her to pay full price and so she said 'well how about i just pay for the products you use, so you don't loose any money'

Im needing to come up with prices of manicure, pedicure, eyelash extensions, shellac and O.P.I file and paint, Facial massage (half hour-hour) on 'friends rates'
I have vowed to myself to just do her rates and no one else as I know it will end up getting out of control otherwise! and not actually making anything!
but how would you work out your product costs? any advice welcomed! need it for thursday!
of course I want to make a small amount and also not loose out X

I wouldn't do it at cost, I'd do X% discount if you really want to discount. (I'm talking from experience lol) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree. Tell her 20-30% off and tell her you really can't do it for any less x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you are running a business/ opening a salon you should know exactly how much each service costs!

for CND products such as Shellac it has all been done for you :) phone S2 and ask for a costs per service leaflet.

For all others it's easy but long winded to work out

Take the cost of each product, divide by how many treatments you will get out of that container and you have your cost per service

Add them all up and you have you answer

:hug:

But you will be losing money because whilst you're spending an hour doing her treatments at cost, you're not able to fit in a full paying client.

My rule is that I never charge family or close friends a penny, however, they would have to come along on the day and only if there was a gap. Yes, there are occasions when I let them make an appointment but I'd rather them go to another waxer.

If you're just starting out and you want experience and you've got time, then knock 25% off. That way it's easy to work out for you both. Trust me, when you get busy and you're sitting doing her nails for virtually nothing and you've turned away a client that you would be charging full price, you'll begin to resent it. Also, say that she can't come on Saturdays when you're busy.

Trouble is, when we start out, we're so grateful to be doing treatments, but when you get busy...........

Sorry to sound negative but would they come to you if you were charging full price?

But you will be losing money because whilst you're spending an hour doing her treatments at cost, you're not able to fit in a full paying client.

My rule is that I never charge family or close friends a penny, however, they would have to come along on the day and only if there was a gap. Yes, there are occasions when I let them make an appointment but I'd rather them go to another waxer.

If you're just starting out and you want experience and you've got time, then knock 25% off. That way it's easy to work out for you both. Trust me, when you get busy and you're sitting doing her nails for virtually nothing and you've turned away a client that you would be charging full price, you'll begin to resent it. Also, say that she can't come on Saturdays when you're busy.

Trouble is, when we start out, we're so grateful to be doing treatments, but when you get busy...........

Sorry to sound negative but would they come to you if you were charging full price?

I'm really mean. I don't do mates rates, end of story. When my mum lived near, she would pay me because she knew I was skint and it was her way of helping me out. I hope I can do the same for my children. I'm in a very small village, and suddenly everyone can be your mate. My closest friend comes regularly, and says she wouldn't come at all if I didn't charge as she would feel so uncomfortable taking up my working time. Don't you love friends like that? Do this friend however you like - but beware, you may create a monster!!! I would charge her a reduced rate - one time only - because you have said you will, and your salon isn't open yet. Mates don't pay the bills - you do!!! Good luck with it x

I have messaged you x

The only person I do free is my sister and thats because she owns a hair salon & does my hair free. I charge other family members & close friends. After all it is a business. But what I do is things like the nail art free so they get a bit of something for nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm a hairdresser and learned very quickly that, as others have said, people become your mate when you have a skill such as this! I tend to give friends a small discount, which they are appreciative of (it's still saving them money, however small the amount), or try swapping your services in exchange for something they can do for you. You'd be amazed at what a set of nails/ haircut can be swapped for!

Thanks for all the replies, Very helpful,
I was thinking of doing her a discount, a maybe replying saying how Ill give her 25 or 30% of on thursday (when im doing them) as i haven't sorted my prices out yet, im sure shell understand ,
also is anyone from sweet squared on here, Many times I have gone to send in a message to them on a contact form and have clicked sent loads of times and nothing happens :/

Thanks for all the replies, Very helpful,
I was thinking of doing her a discount, a maybe replying saying how Ill give her 25 or 30% of on thursday (when im doing them) as i haven't sorted my prices out yet, im sure shell understand ,
also is anyone from sweet squared on here, Many times I have gone to send in a message to them on a contact form and have clicked sent loads of times and nothing happens :/

I'd just phone them tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back