Had a professional website built and still no business, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla

Reaction score
HI Geeks,

I had my website build over a year ago now and still no business. Only had two enquiries from it.
Has anyone found this? I thought having a website would bring at least some business, Has anyone paid for extra SEO.

Feeling fed up I should have just build my own website instead of paying out for a logo and website. I'm paying a monthly fee, Just feels like a waste of money. Advice please xx

Last edited:
Could you post a link to your website? X

I'm only offering self tanning and waxing at the moment. Just brought CND shellac so will add to my services soon. Currently studying my level 3 so once I've finished I will add massage to my services too. x

Hate to be picky, but there's a few spelling and grammatical errors on the website that ought to be corrected, first of all. If you've paid for a professional to produce the website, I think that's very poor service.

Also, you state that you don't respond to texts and that clients must telephone for an appointment. I think this could be rather confusing as it's on the Contact Us page directly alongside the messaging option. So the client might wonder whether you will reply to the message or just ignore it?

Also, overall it's a bit generic and not very dynamic.
You have very old info on there about looking for models for your intimate waxing which gives the impression that you are inexperienced. It's a shame as intimate waxing should be a really profitable service to offer.

Ok, imagine that you want to find a new hairdresser. You type in 'hairdresser' and a location into google. Look at the websites it brings up and decide which ones you'd want to contact for an appointment.
Then go back and try to analyse what makes them more attractive to you as a potential client?
What information do you, as the client, need to know before booking?
Can you book an appointment directly via the website?

Then look at other beauty salon websites and critically examine them and finally, try to look at your own website as a potential client. This is really hard to do unless you've spent ages looking at others first. You need to develop a feel for what attracts potential clients.

A final couple of thoughts:
Potential clients are already out there but currently going somewhere else. What can you offer that might tempt them to try you out instead?

At the top of this forum are a couple of sticky threads about building your business. The first few pages of both are well worth a read.

Best of luck for 2017!

Great comments from AcidPerm, a website really is your shop window. When you've cleaned up the style and content, make sure you do all the SEO you can do yourself, such as directory listings, social site links, keyword optimisation and link sharing. A google search for 'SEO DIY' or similar can show you all the stuff you can do on your own.

A lot of SEO companies aren't worth the money - google frequently changes SEO guidelines and does not make it public how they operate, so unless they are a big agency and you're spending a large amount each month who have better insight into those things, I'd say they mostly aren't worth it.

Most of my customers come via Facebook and then this leads them to my website.

Myself as a customer, after finding a website, I will often visit their social media platform to see if they are still operating so to speak. Especially when sourcing services that are ran by sole traders.
You haven't posted anything on your Facebook for such a long time. And the last info that is on there are all stock photos. As a customer, I would think you probably were running anymore and look elsewhere.
I would concentrate on posting to your social media page or/and post blogs. You will become more valuable to potential customers as well as opening engagement too. We live in a society driven by social media. Ride the wave and connect with your customers. Yes your website is your shop window, but once complete, it still needs ongoing attention. Websites can date so quickly. The social media news feeds can be great, if used efficiently.
Hth :) xx

Most of my customers come via Facebook and then this leads them to my website.

Myself as a customer, after finding a website, I will often visit their social media platform to see if they are still operating so to speak. Especially when sourcing services that are ran by sole traders.
You haven't posted anything on your Facebook for such a long time. And the last info that is on there are all stock photos. As a customer, I would think you probably were running anymore and look elsewhere.
I would concentrate on posting to your social media page or/and post blogs. You will become more valuable to potential customers as well as opening engagement too. We live in a society driven by social media. Ride the wave and connect with your customers. Yes your website is your shop window, but once complete, it still needs ongoing attention. Websites can date so quickly. The social media news feeds can be great, if used efficiently.
Hth :) xx

Do You pay facebook to promote your page? Something I have thought but I'm unsure if it's worth it.

Do You pay facebook to promote your page? Something I have thought but I'm unsure if it's worth it.

I have done but it's very rare that I do. To be honest, the paid ads haven't generated much of a lead to new business, if any.
The main thing with my social media pages are that the potential customers can see 'real' customers. Whether that is in the form of a review, an image or general interaction. It builds reassurance and respect as well as brand awareness. Customers love to see a little 'behind the scenes' or 'insider info' too. Give them a reason to follow you and want to get to know more about what you offer.

I think the main lead to my work is recommendation. People tagging their friends to your page or sharing your link. People trust their friends and recommendations far more than a pretty advert or website. Of course a great website, quality of images & content are all equally important as they are going to support the image that you are portraying and reassure the customer that you are the right therapist to book with.

There's so much competition out there. You have to make it worthwhile for the customer to want to contact you. And make it easy to do so too. I hardly ever receive phone call enquiries. Text, email, FB messenger are all mainly how my bookings are made. X

Last edited:
First thing I did after looking at your website (same as I do after looking at ANY website) was click the link onto your Facebook page, which looks like you're no longer open/trading/running a business.

What other advertising do you do? It's something that needs to be constant, on all fronts, website, social media, leaflets, small ads, online listings, etc.

You can't just have a website built, pay a monthly fee and then sit back and wait for clients to come knocking at your door, that won't happen.

You have no gallery or photos of your work. I know you can't get pics of waxing (obviously lol) but if I'm booking a tan I'd like to see others who have had tans or reviews from previous customers to know that others have been happy with your work.
I'm just saying from a customers point of view.

Even if you have no customers at the moment, invite friends or family over and spend an evening doing their tans and ask for pictures/selfies to use on your page/website. And tag them all in them.

Also text or email booking is easier for me as I'm always busy running around after the kids & working. so I think you are limiting yourself there.

Ladies who did your websites? Can you put the link up. xx

I did mine with vistaprint. X

@Kpreats would you mind putting the link up? xx

This is mine, I made it myself for free, my only problem now is that I've had flyers printed with .com because I thought it would be easy to add the .com buy I'm finding it's not lol, www.kahunahair.weebly.com

Just to add I have zero SEO set up people type in kahuna hair crumlin on google and find it straight away tho

Just to add I have zero SEO set up people type in kahuna hair crumlin on google and find it straight away tho

Thanks for sharing your website.

Are you getting a good amount of business from your website? Did you already have a client base to start with? xx

Thanks for sharing your website.

Are you getting a good amount of business from your website? Did you already have a client base to start with? xx
I have no clue how much custom I get because of my website tbh, the phone number was wrong on there for ages until someone recently pointed it out to me lol, I have a book now tab on there & my Facebook & twitter so online bookings could come from any of those sources, my entire client base has been built by word of mouth, either clients telling their friends/relatives about me or people of the village chatting to each other about the salon, it took 18months of sitting around all day every day just so the place looked open to get to a place where the bills were getting paid, I couldn't have had much custom through my site tho because the number was wrong for ages lol

Latest posts

Back