Had to leave her nails 1/2 done :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmit2

Reaction score
Oh dear, I'm doing my L&P course at the mo and i need to do 4 full sets of p&w in two weeks for homework.

I've just tried my 1st full set on a friend and had to go home to my baby and leave them not complete as it took me 2hrs 45min and my baby needed me back. I have to go back tomorrow and finish buffing them up as they probably need another 15mins or more on them.

How unprofessional. How am I going to manage to practise all I need with a 3 month old and a work time of 3hrs! Will any client want to be done when I tell them it will take me 3hrs?

I've just searched on here for how long it takes people to do a set and 1hr30 seems popular. I can't see me cutting down my time by half ever. :(

Don't be so harsh on yourself hun. You are still learning eventually your time will.come down. God knows what my time will be like lol I haven't even tried yet. It just takes practice hun :) x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Don't be so hard on yourself hunny, your friend will understand. You will get the hang of it. Also you are allowed to leave your baby, I'm gathering your not bottle feeding as you had to rush back, If I'm right then try expressing some so baby is ok. It won't hurt your angel having a few hours apart, I have four and hate leaving them, but it does us good!! You will get there hunny, keep up the goos work

why not practice on a nail trainer or on tips! normally its the white powder thats that time taker when your learning. when your baby's sleeping get your tips out and white powder and practice your smile likes and shaping the nail correctly with the brush or buy a nail trainer xx

Oh I'm having same problem with gel nails i'm useless :( or that's how I feel at the moment and 2 of my tanning clients have booked me for their nails next week :( are you anywhere near Leeds? We could practise on each other ha! I'm sure your not as bad as me Hun chin up xxxxx

Hi there...don't worry, you are training, and it's to be expected. I am exactly the same!!! managed to get it to 2 hours. BUT...then I changed from the french tips, to the natural tips that you have to blend!!! :Scared: It took me exactly 3 hours to finish completely. They looked beautiful and glossy...but I know what you mean by feeling like your failing due to timing. But we can't be super speedy when learning...otherwise we would never be able to do a good job.

Have you thought of asking people to come to yours? Just a thought.

I manage generally to do it in 2 hours now. I didn't think I'd every be able to. I have my off days (like today!!) but my timing has generally improved, and yours will to. And we will both be able to reach that elusive 1 hour 30 mins soon enough!! :D

Must be really hard with your little one. Mine are 8 and 4, which are alot easier ages. Just be kind to yourself and it'l come to you soon.xx

Thanks ladies, I can see me getting quicker, but by half?!?!?!

I am breastfeeding Mel, and i've got a stash in the freezer, but she goes on strike when i'm not there the little madam! No bottle for this little Angel :eek:

I have a nail trainer too but i find working on that harder than a real person for some reason. I will definatley get cracking on that though when she's asleep. I'd love to get good at smile lines. I found that tonight i was rushing to keep my time down, but still not very quick.

Keep your chin up hun - having a 3 month old baby is a task in itself, anyone with children knows how tiring and demanding that alone can be!

Regarding your times, they will come down don't worry. Some people get them down right away, others take a while longer but we all get to a point where we are working in a time that we feel is reasonable and that our clients are happy with.

A good idea if you really want to focus on getting them down is have a clock next to you when you do your next set. Write doen the timings for each section - consultation, prep, tip application and blending, product application, finishing and after treatment advice etc

This way you can see which areas you are taking longer on and try to figure out a way to get the times down.

Most importantly, stay focused on the fact that good things DO come to those who work hard and practice harder - it will come hun honestly :hugs: xxxxx

( edit to add - as hard as it is, try to not rush yourself as this will only see you making more mistakes that will take even longer to correct, try to method above and then nip back and perhaps jot down your routine for application and prep etc and see if people can offer advice on how to cut your times a little xxxx )

A good idea if you really want to focus on getting them down is have a clock next to you when you do your next set. Write doen the timings for each section - consultation, prep, tip application and blending, product application, finishing and after treatment advice etc

This way you can see which areas you are taking longer on and try to figure out a way to get the times down.

Thats a fab idea about timing. I will try that for sure next time! I think some of the problem is faffing around choosing the correct file or nearly doing a step of prep at the wrong stage and realsing so flapping a bit lol.

Thanks for the tip xxx

If you are getting kerfuffled with what to pick up and when hun, try to stick to a specific layout of your tools and equipment.

Even if you are out at someone elses home, lay out your kit in order that you will use it, same with your files etc - if you do it the same every time then you will get that used to it that you pick up the right things without even needing to look ;) xxxx

lay out your kit in order that you will use it, same with your files etc

I'm loving this advice! I only got my kit out as needed from my box tonight, thinking that would save me time - lol. Obviously not! I'll get organised next time and lay it all out nicely.

TBH my friend had me working on her ironing board as i haven't had time to get a table yet (course was only on Mon/Tues/Weds). I don't think that helped.

Thanks ladies, I can see me getting quicker, but by half?!?!?!

I am breastfeeding Mel, and i've got a stash in the freezer, but she goes on strike when i'm not there the little madam! No bottle for this little Angel :eek:

I have a nail trainer too but i find working on that harder than a real person for some reason. I will definatley get cracking on that though when she's asleep. I'd love to get good at smile lines. I found that tonight i was rushing to keep my time down, but still not very quick.

Awww I breast fed all mine, and my youngest wouldn't have a bottle but she would be cup fed, well she had no choice as boobie wasn't there. I had to learn how to drive for the children to benefit.

You will do it I'm sure and all the geeks will help you x

you'll get there hun i totally sympathise all of mine where b/f and the only one that would take a bottle was my eldest (and i wasnt even doing nails then lol) i was b/feeding one and 6mths pregnant with the other and working! ( i was so glad by the time i had baby 4 just to knock work on the head to concentrate on the kids!)
i used to get tips out when they where napping during the day (good excuse not to do the housework!) its hard when you have to juggle family feeding babies and work! (thats why us women do it and not the men! :wink2:)
:D you doing great keep up the good work!

Hun if it makes you feel any better my first set took me 4 hours, yes, 4! But I am now around the 2hr mark but have decided l&p isn't for me, I just cannot stand the smell so gels it is. I am still at 2hrs because I have full well tips which are lovely but a pain in the bum to blend! When I so french tips that's about 1hr30 so if I can get it down from 4hrs you can def get it down from 3! Good luck x

Yep, I'm down from 3 hours to 1hr45, just can't seem to knock off that last fifteen minutes but I've kind of decided that that's just how long it takes me. I'd rather think that than worry about my time, and if the client goes away happy that's the most important thing. I definitely think getting into a routine helps, so laying out files in order and all the other equipment etc!

Oh bless you. Regarding the nails, don't be so hard on yourself, my first go took about 3 hours on one hand and were still rubbish. I'm still very slow 2-2 1/2 hours, but I don't do them very often at all.

I also know where you are coming from having to run home to a screaming hungry baby that refuses a bottle! That probably put you under pressure too, knowing you might be called back at any minute.

It will all get easier, the nails and the expressed bottle feeding :Love:

It takes me about 2 hours to blend tips and apply gel. I'm mobile and only do a Few sets a year. I have excepted that's how long it takes me and that's the time I allow. I do a lot of different treatments and am not soley a nail tech. My first set took me over 3 hours! Have you tried using tip blender or acetone to help with blending? I wasn't allowed to use it when training but have since x

aw dont be so hard on yourself, we all take time to get it to the 1hr 30 mark, takes a lot of hard work and perciverence! also depends on the clients own nails and how long they will take to prep properly!
i think my first set took me about 3 hours when i was qualified lol! you will soon get the hang of it, were all here to help you out!
ive got a 2yr old and pregnant with twins, so im finding doing my clients a bit of a task at the moment, the monomer really gets to me if i have to do a few sets in the day! but i need to work atm until theyre here and god knows how i will manage to keep my clients up and running as im planning to breastfeed too!
but hey, were women, we all guddle on in live lol!
i hope all the info the other geeks have given you will help im sure it will tho hun x

Thanks for all the support ladies :)

I've been back this morning to finish them off and she's really happy with them. It took me a little longer to buff than i thought, so probably 3hrs30mins in total.

I'll have a look at tip blender and see if that might help, but i'll give my other 3 sets ago before the next day of my course...i'm sure i'll speed up once i'm organised! lol.

Thanks a million :hug:

I haven't done any gels or acrylics yet so I can't advise on that score but I wanted to tell you that my babies, both of them, were breast fed and NEVER took a bottle. Not once not ever! At one point I even hired a kind of super nanny to try for me who left a few hours later muttering about never having met a baby before that she couldn't get on a bottle...

The point is just to tell you I know how you feel and how it feels to have babies so dependent on you. I remember when my eldest was about 3 months old I went into town to have my hair done. I was expecting it to take a couple of hours but actually took over three as I aws having so much done. My husband was ringing regularly and I couldnt hear him talk as Chloe was screaming so loud...I had to get him to bring her in and feed her under my gown... at that point my lovely hair dresser quietly offered to do me at home from then on to help me out. Bless her.

It does pass and they either start taking a bottle or they grow old enough to go longer between feeds.

I think you're amazing! I would have been too scared to even try working at this stage so I think you're fab!

Latest posts

Back