Hair colour gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LashesinWonder

Reaction score
Hey hair geeks. Looking for some advice from a client point of view as I dont know where I stand.

I booked at a local salon a restyle and colour. Went in the day before I was due to go in and I had a consultation/skin test. They were very thorough and I showed them pictures. We decided on a golden brown - 6.3 with highlights put in after. My hair had box dye on it. A dark reddy faded cherry. But she said she could cover it with 6.3. I trusted her opinion it is her job and I am no hair geek.

Came back the next day. Looked at pics again. Talked colours to check again. Got started. They cut my hair, dyed it 6.3 with base as im secretly greying ;-)

It didnt touch the ends! Still a faded cherry reddy mess. But my roots were bright golden! So obviously they said were not letting me leave like that dont worry. So she explained to me that we would have to go darker to cover the red and the disaster it had become.

So she told me she was going to dye it a 3. Described it a chocolate brown and that we could still put highlights in it. Again im no hair geek so I let her do her job.

Anyway colour came out black! She claimed it was still browny. But said it was too dark to do highlights now. I agreed that I didnt want my hair to be messed with anymore. So they styled it and I left. I left in a hurry as I had been there over 5 hours! And was sick and tired. I also had to get back to my daughter.

So I was very shocked at my black hair. Far from the golden brown with highlights. I understand why they dyed it black but if I wanted black hair I a) would have asked for it and b) would have just boxed dyed it as its not a hard colour to achieve plus id got box dyes in my short hair anyway lol. I was also unhappy with the cut. The comments ive got so far from my new 'do' are...

'You look very pale (or ill)'
'You look like a lesbian'
'It looked so much better before'
'Your hairs so short! Why you cut it like a man!?'

So very upset. I was very excited about cutting my pregnancy locks off and feeling like myself again. So had a little cry.

I got a message from them saying they had posted pics on there facebook. And could I like/recommend them. So I saw this as a good opportunity to text back and say I was still unhappy with the colour. That was this morning and ive still had no reply.

So where do I stand? What should I do? Thanks geeks. Sorry for the long post! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. Did you make it clear that you were unhappy when you left the salon or did you just pay up and leave?

I can understand them using a shade chart to determine what colour you wanted to go but you don't then just put that colour onto the hair especially if you're covering a box dye red. It makes no sense as a 6 isn't going to cover red. Your hair would have required some degree of lightening first or use a colour remover.

Also, when doing the skin test, did they take any test cuttings? I would have wanted to check how the hair behaved when applying my target shade. Personally, I'm always wary of tinting box dyed hair as you're never sure what product has been used and some box dyes contain ingredients that are incompatible with standard pro colours.

Personally, I'd ask for a refund as they didn't provide the outcome you were expecting despite two attempts at it.

Latest posts

Back