Hair condition after colour remover

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELLE BELLA

Reaction score
I have a client level 6/0 wella with L’Oréal majicontrast copper-red lowlights , she has sent me a pic of how she would like hair , looks around a 7/8 with lots of blonde highlights, she has approx 80% grey ( front ) with less at the nape .
If I use a colour remover what can I expect to be left with , colour and condition wise ?
It’s in good condition , just below shoulder length, but is quite curly and coarse so can feel quite brittle !
I don’t want to be left with a head full of straw !
Also am a bit confused about whether , once removed it will just re -oxidise to a much darker shade once I add a new base colour ,
In which case , would I be better off colouring over it wth a cool level 6 ( once the copper has faded ) and going lighter gradually , starting with highlights ??

A proper colour reducer will leave the hair looking like the raw version of the natural level, maybe a bit lighter depending on what tints were applied before.
If the hair is saturated with colour, you might need to re-apply the reducer up to 3 times. It won’t damage the hair as it’s not a bleach based product. (If you’ve not used one before, read the sticky thread about colour removers at the top of this forum.)

So, if her natural is a 6, then it’s likely to look around a 7/8 with the orange/yellow undertone exposed. You might only need to tone it or add some bleach highlights then tone.

A proper colour reducer will leave the hair looking like the raw version of the natural level, maybe a bit lighter depending on what tints were applied before.
If the hair is saturated with colour, you might need to re-apply the reducer up to 3 times. It won’t damage the hair as it’s not a bleach based product. (If you’ve not used one before, read the sticky thread about colour removers at the top of this forum.)

So, if her natural is a 6, then it’s likely to look around a 7/8 with the orange/yellow undertone exposed. You might only need to tone it or add some bleach highlights then tone.

I’ve heard mentioned in previous posts about the next colour reoxidising with any remaining pigment left in the hair . I don’t want to re tone to a 7/8 only to have it drop back down to a 6 ? Is that likely to happen ?
I’ve always avoided remover s preferring to bleach / bleach bath , as it has always sounded more of a faff on !

If you don’t rinse thoroughly for at least 5 minutes whilst thoroughly agitating the hair then you will get some molecules re-oxidising. However, if you take your time to read and folllow the instructions, it’s a brilliant product that leaves the hair in good condition. You can do a test with an application of neat peroxide on a small section to see if there’s any significant amount of colour remaining.
I use Affinage Eraser.

The problem with using bleach is it can lead to patchy looking results so I only use it in limited circumstances and generally choose a reducer over bleach.

Latest posts

Back