Hair disaster/lacking confidence/rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Yesterday I made a mistake on a client. She has probably a level 5 regrowth (it was really oily). She is so lovely and I feel like she lost all trust in me. She said things like "How many years have you been hairdressing for?" "Are you even a hairdresser" "You're being really slow" and stuff like that.

Yesterday my boss did a half a head of foils which took him 2 hours. (BB20) And and got me to do the tint regrowth (muks 1121 which is a highlift with 40 vol and it took me 15 minutes). His weaves were really dense(very zigzaggy and not thin at all... never seen anything like it but everyone has their own technique. Just someone hard to move around without slipping). I was told to pack a high lift on the roots so I did.

So I was the one who rinsed. When pulling out one side I saw some of the foils weren't fully coloured and left dark patches slightly from the roots. I'm 100% sure I covered it as I checked three times and then he checked. the root itself was covered then there was a dark patch and then there was the lightener (bb20).

Now my boss told me I should have opened up the foils to make sure they were covered but I wasn't the one who applied them and no one has ever told me to do that before. Is that normal? I just feel like I'm still learning and that I'm being made to do colours I haven't started at school yet.

Now my boss told the client it was all my fault. I explained I was still a student to her. But I feel like I am being treated as a fully qualified stylist without actually learning what I have to do at work at school.

Not saying it's not my fault but I feel like this could have been avoided if I had a bit of guidance and stopped getting thrown on tasks I've never done before without clients being aware that I'm a student (not allowed to tell them).

Why would your boss not tell people you are a student? Unless I'm hair washing (which I help out quite a lot and I am pretty damn good at), the salon I rent a chair in always state that I'm newly qualified and that my services are discounted but supervised. The manager shows me techniques and checks over my work or helps me indentify colours. I never feel pressured to pretend I am more experienced than what I am... a lot of clients have seen me progress to qualified and are quite happy to have me cut and colour their hair. I suppose they can see that I am interested, knowledgeable(I spend a lot of time out of hours practicing and researching techniques) and will ask for help if I am unsure. I am asked to check foils for processing only not coverage. Show to your clients you are REALLY excited at the opportunity to do their service, be honest about your experience, don't be afraid to ask for help and look confident!

I think it's because we're understaffed. We have a staff shortage in Australia. And he doesn't want the clients to feel uncomfortable. I'm applying else where that's more supportive. I feel like if he needs a fully qualified he should hire one.

Honestly sounds like you need a supportive mentor. Find one! Get out! Xxxx good luck

As a trainee he should've been overseeing what you do. It was his mistake as you are training, it was his responsibility to tell you to check the foils and oversee your decision, don't blame yourself, the client may not have been asking questions as to insult you but she has every right to be angry at your boss as she is paying for his time and experience... not a trainees. Sounds like he is a bit of a Dickhead tbh, blaming it on a trainee!

all in all its a lesson for me. Don't trust mentors XD jk. But I'm hopefully going to find a good place soon.

Latest posts

Back