Hair extension client lied at consultation, Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the amount of money you would earn fitting one client who is pregnant and suffers possible hair loss through the extensions - is it really worth your time going to court? Worth risking your career and all the hard work you have put in? Just think logically.. Hope this helps.

It's a confusing one and I always find the worst hair loss comes after baby is born not during pregnancy. Great Lengths advise not to fit extensions on a pregnant client yet still use Rochelle Hume's as an advertisement who has worn their extensions throughout her pregnancy which kind of contradicts their advice! I guess it has to be a decision made by each extensionist after consultation with each individual client.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

It's a confusing one and ....I guess it has to be a decision made by each extensionist after consultation with each individual client.

Erm, no! It's not confusing or down to the individual. The answer is unequivocal. You don't do it or you risk getting sued and losing everything as it goes against standard industry guidance.

I can only guess that the majority of posters on here advocating the client making the final decision, signing disclaimers etc. are not interested in maintaining professional standards (but then they are probably not trained hairdressers either).

Erm, no! It's not confusing or down to the individual. The answer is unequivocal. You don't do it or you risk getting sued and losing everything as it goes against standard industry guidance.

I can only guess that the majority of posters on here advocating the client making the final decision, signing disclaimers etc. are not interested in maintaining professional standards (but then they are probably not trained hairdressers either).

Can you post a copy of the industry standard guideline for pregant ladies and hair extensions please?

Training seems to give different guidance depending on the training house.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Can you post a copy of the industry standard guideline for pregant ladies and hair extensions please?

Training seems to give different guidance depending on the training house.

Habia for starters. Oops forgot, They don't provide guidance/accreditation for hair extension courses for non qualified hairdressers.

Excuse me Yes I am a qualified hairdresser and have been for 15 years so before you throw insults at myself and many others on here, step of your soap box and re-read what I said!!! I merely pointed out that a market leader advised not to fit on a pregnant client yet use a pregnant client to advertise!!!? I also pointed out that in this instance each extensionist would ultimately have to make their own decision and that this in itself proves it clearly is possible to fit extensions on a pregnant client. This doesn't mean I myself advise it as I personally don't fit extensions on a pregnant client but as I said that is my personal opinion. You quote about stated guidelines but unfortunately that is what it is, guidelines, not law!!!

Quite frankly people like you that throw insults at others without having facts are what spoil this forum FACT

Oh ok, it was a genuine question, i wasnt trying to be clever.

Op, id do as your trained, either do it, or dont do it and give her the hair she's bought.

http://www.habia.org/c/555/standards-hairdressing (unit gh15)

I don't do extensions, but I do know something really really basic....Disclaimers, a tree is killed for no reason at all whatsoever. They aren't a legal document, you are not a person in a position to write a legal document to stand in a court of law, and the client may sign the bogus legal forms, but the signature is worthless if anything is taken to court.

I do wish more people would understand this area that isn't a grey area of law, its as clear as glass and as real as the mountains.

Agreed. Guidelines are not regulations. But then there are very few regulations in this industry.

Guidelines should always be given serious consideration by practitioners because you can bet a court will do so.

The client's lawyer will seek evidence from a number of expert witnesses to prove negligence and anyone who has ignored industry guidance will struggle to defend the case. Of equal importance, an insurance company is unlikely to fund the case either.

Yes it's physically possible to fit and wear extensions while pregnant.
The original query wasn't about whether it's possible or safe to wear extensions whilst pregnant. Yes, lots of people do so without any ill effects.

As a professional forum, the guidance given to others on here should always be concerned with following best practice otherwise, what's the point?

But the problem being that each training provider gives different views on this subject hence why each poster on this thread has given to the best of their knowledge their opinion, I think each geek that has posted has done so with the best intentions from the training they have received! Which takes me back to my original post of stating that it is confusing because it is!!!

Yes I personally would advise against fitting extensions on a pregnant client but unfortunately if the OP does she isn't breaking any laws, but having enquired a while ago regarding disclaimers as mentioned earlier they aren't really worth bothering with, I would however suggest that if you were even thinking a disclaimer was necessary then you have answered your own question as to if to proceed.

I personally wouldnt do them. have you ordered hair just for her? If so I wouldn't refund the deposit as this could cost you if you can't use it on someone else.
But if you were to do them and something were to happen and she tried to sue you have the form were she signed to say she wasn't pregnant she wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

But the problem being that each training provider gives different views on this subject hence why each poster on this thread has given to the best of their knowledge their opinion, I think each geek that has posted has done so with the best intentions from the training they have received! Which takes me back to my original post of stating that it is confusing because it is!!!

Hi, yes I agree that each 'hair extensions' training provider might be giving different/conflicting information. I also don't doubt for a minute that posters on here are offering advice 'with the best of intentions'.

I think your post hits the nail on the head rather well.

But I'd like all posters to consider this - is it really helpful in a Professional Hair forum for everyone to just chip in with advice?

Imagine if you worked in a salon, you wouldn't take advice from the least experienced person when you have a problem. Presumably, you'd want to ask a senior and more experienced member of staff to ensure you get the right answer.

Personally, I've always felt concerned about people who train in hair extensions without having a hairdressing background because they don't already have the underpinning knowledge about hair and scalp issues, and the potential damage that can occur when things go wrong. Also, you have to ask yourself why are hair extension methods only covered in level 3 hairdressing and not on level 2?

This also partly explains why Habia no longer accredits stand alone hair extension courses.

I do hope lots of geeks (and their clients) have managed to watch the new programme on TLC called Last Chance Salon. It is a good reminder of how badly wrong things can go when the work is undertaken by a dodgy practitioner in any field.

BTW, this is not me having a dig at people doing hair extensions but relating to the hair & beauty industry in general.

Last edited:
If you have ordered the hair return it and just keep the cost of delivery of deposit and return the rest

Latest posts

Back