Hair extension client lied at consultation, Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbabykane

Reaction score
I have a client booked in for her fitting tomorrow and have just found out that she is pregnant. she lied during her consultation and signed a form stating she wasnt pregnant when she gave me the deposit.
I dont know what to do. do i still fit the extensions or advise that she wait until 6 months after the baby is born?

I was taught that it is ok for pregnant woman to have extensions but must have them taken out before the baby is born, because after birth you shed all the hair you didn't loose whilst pregnant. And then leave it for 6 months after birth for hair to get back to normal x

I was taught that if the client is pregnant or had a baby in the last 6 months you can't put them in. Contact your insurers x

No client is going to be happy to wait another year after paying her deposit. Make up a disclaimer form for her to sign stating she pregnant and aware that it is not recommend to have extensions whilst pregnant and is full aware and acceptant that the hair technician has advisd against having the extensions and in doing so she understands that you accept no libility and all her rights are waivered should having the extensions fitted cause excessive shedding, hair loss or any other problems and that no responsibility or blame shall be placd on the extensionist. Then your covered.

You are the professional! if your not comfortable doing it, let her know, i would state il honour it for you after birth if at a special rate and give her money back.

Off your chest and you know you've stuck to your guns.

Take it as a lession learnt in terms of non refundable deposits, or if you've specially ordered hair. Or use the hair for her after birth.

I wouldnt waste my insurers time if you knowly carry out a treatment which is a contra-indicator. xoxo

No client is going to be happy to wait another year after paying her deposit. Make up a disclaimer form for her to sign stating she pregnant and aware that it is not recommend to have extensions whilst pregnant and is full aware and acceptant that the hair technician has advisd against having the extensions and in doing so she understands that you accept no libility and all her rights are waivered should having the extensions fitted cause excessive shedding, hair loss or any other problems and that no responsibility or blame shall be placd on the extensionist. Then your covered.

It wouldn't stand in court . Not worth the paper it's written on. X

It wouldn't stand in court . Not worth the paper it's written on. X

I think it would when she lied on her consultation and then signed a disclaimer. That's what disclaimers were designed for.
I personally tell all clients who are pregnant no but had she not have found out she would be none the wiser and it would fall on the clients shoulders. I wore extensions throughout and after my pregnancy with no problems. I just don't see the client not demamding her money back when she turns her away as she can't be that far along in her pregnancy.

I'm not a hair professional but the point still stands.
If it is not recommended to apply extensions to a pregnant woman then the professional thing to do is to return the deposit.
A disclaimer will NOT stand up in court.
"so, Miss Baby Kane, you actually applied the extensions knowing that your client was pregnant, and that it was contraindicated?"
"well, I did get her to sign away her rights, cos, well, she lied, didn't she?"
"and at what point did you think that your professional negligence could be excused by having your lay-person client sign a disclaimer?"

You're the professional; your client is relying upon you to make the correct decision on her behalf.

I've fitted lots of pregnant ladies with extensions throughout all stages of pregnancy, post and pre.

Pregnancy is not a contra indication.

Every womans hair reacts differently to the hormonal changes which comes along in pregnancy

I've also worn extensions through 2 pregnancies myself.

I wouldnt fit this ladies hair if she knowingly lied on the cons. Form
I'm not telling you what to do, just telling you what I would do

I'd explain the importance of a consultation agreement, and give her deposit back.

For one I just can't tolerate liars, and she's not going to be a trustworthy client anyway, I wouldn't waste my time with disclaimers etc, if you feel the need for such things, your gut instincts trying to tell you something!

Did she say why she lied?
X

I'm not a hair professional but the point still stands.
If it is not recommended to apply extensions to a pregnant woman then the professional thing to do is to return the deposit.
A disclaimer will NOT stand up in court.
"so, Miss Baby Kane, you actually applied the extensions knowing that your client was pregnant, and that it was contraindicated?"
"well, I did get her to sign away her rights, cos, well, she lied, didn't she?"
"and at what point did you think that your professional negligence could be excused by having your lay-person client sign a disclaimer?"

You're the professional; your client is relying upon you to make the correct decision on her behalf.

As somebody else has stated being pregnant is not a contra-indication and I think its one of those things that needs to be judged on individual merit. If the client is not experiencing hair loss, shedding then any additional disclaimer signed would probably stand in court as your not asking her to waive all rights as your suggesting in your comments. All ,y clients hair orders are made to order on colour mix, grams etc and so a refund would simply not be an option. We are offering this extensionist advice - the client is most probably not going to be happy to wait a year plus to have her hair fitted and it appears that if the extensionist has carried out all necessary steps that this client is suitable for extensions (prior to her finding out she is pregnant) hence get her to sign a disclaimer, have the consultation form as back up and you have a happy customer.

It seems that different hair extension training providers have differing views. Mine clearly states that it is a contra indication during pregnancy and 6 months after whereas some of you are saying its ok to put them in during pregnancy but not after.

There is no reason why a pregnant lady cannot have extensions whilst she is pregnant, it doesn't cause any harm x

There is no reason why a pregnant lady cannot have extensions whilst she is pregnant, it doesn't cause any harm x

Unless the hormone changes make their hair in awful condition, but normally pregnant woman have lovely thick healthy hair?! X

Unless the hormone changes make their hair in awful condition, but normally pregnant woman have lovely thick healthy hair?! X

Most do hair loss comes after baby is born, it seems this client is suitable

Most do hair loss comes after baby is born, it seems this client is suitable

HairbyAsya, you being Racoon trained, as I have been you should know one of the basic contraindications are pregnant women. I do agree with you about the disclaimer, however I think it smacks of irresponsibility. I am not having a go but and very much agree with Lynne. You're the professional; your client is relying upon you to make the correct decision on her behalf.

If the client is not experiencing hair loss, shedding then any additional disclaimer signed would probably stand in court as your not asking her to waive all rights as your suggesting in your comments. .

I hope you don't charge for the optional legal advice. :irked:

What else do you make up as you go along???

HairbyAsya, you being Racoon trained, as I have been you should know one of the basic contraindications are pregnant women. I do agree with you about the disclaimer, however I think it smacks of irresponsibility. I am not having a go but and very much agree with Lynne. You're the professional; your client is relying upon you to make the correct decision on her behalf.

I agree its a difficult one but for me on the information provided its a hard one...the client may be in the early stages of pregnancy (which it seems) as she wasn't showing for the extensionist to know, the client witheld this and it might be because she is in early stages so had the technician not found out she would fit the hair and be none the wiser. Her consultation would cover her alone should issues arise. Apart from th pregnancy there are no other contra-indication that's why I suggest an additional disclaimer.
She could of been a terrible person and just played dumb and fitted them ignoring the fact that she has found out the client is pregnant (and we don't even know how she found out and details) this client could swear blind she isn't If she confronts her/tells her she knows she is pregnant...bit awkward

I did state I point blank refuse pregnant women (although I wore extensions throughout my pregnancy and after) however that's with women who are showing, none of us would really know unless the customer tells us and that's for all other questions such as cancer, hair loss etc.

I cannot imagine taking a deposit, ordering the hair and then telling the customer she cannot have it and to wait a year or longer. For me this is the best solution. That's how I would handle it. Tell the client you want to see her after a week of fitting then 6 weeks and so on to keep an eye on her hair.

Yes, she could have gone ahead and fitted them not knowing the client was pregnant.

But the FACT is the OP now knows the client is pregnant, prior to fitting.

Even if the client only revealed the information immediately prior to fitting them, they must not be fitted otherwise you will invalidate your insurance.

This is not a grey area in law. It is black & white.

To carry out a service against the advice of your training company or product supplier is reckless at best.

You can't offer the defence of ' Well it didn't cause me any harm m'lud'.

Yes, chances are it will all be ok and money in the bank. But, there is always the one client who will react badly. The more times you take the risk, you increase the odds of it going wrong.

Plus, the lawyer representing the client will find this out and will use this information to demonstrate to the court that you are a habitual risk taker and it wasn't simply a one-off minor error of judgement on your part.

Maybe you need to watch some more episodes of Judge Judy.

That was a joke... :)

Yes, she could have gone ahead and fitted them not knowing the client was pregnant.

But the FACT is the OP now knows the client is pregnant, prior to fitting.

Even if the client only revealed the information immediately prior to fitting them, they must not be fitted otherwise you will invalidate your insurance.

This is not a grey area in law. It is black & white.

To carry out a service against the advice of your training company or product supplier is reckless at best.

You can't offer the defence of ' Well it didn't cause me any harm m'lud'.

Yes, chances are it will all be ok and money in the bank. But, there is always the one client who will react badly. The more times you take the risk, you increase the odds of it going wrong.

Plus, the lawyer representing the client will find this out and will use this information to demonstrate to the court that you are a habitual risk taker and it wasn't simply a one-off minor error of judgement on your part.

Maybe you need to watch some more episodes of Judge Judy.

That was a joke... :)

Judge Judy is American we are in the UK :irked:

Did you actually read anything anyone wrote in reply or you just grabbing bits out. What part of habitual risk taker are you referring to? It's not me who posted the question and if you read my reply I clearly state I turn pregnant people away. The fact is the client hasn't admitted to be pregnant so stop trying to play judge and jury. The forum if for us to try and offer advice.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of bed today

(That was a JoKe)

EE
I've trained with several companies and they all offer different opinions on pregnancy. Yes Racoon is a NO NO and because I trained with them first I tell all pregnant clients. I just think common sense needs to be applied to this customer as its not straight forward. I'm just stating how I would handle it. Obviously everyone can agree or disagree.

Latest posts

Back