Hair extension scissors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginalovehair

Reaction score
Ive been out of hairdressing for about 5 years now and since just starting back ive decided to go for a pair of Kasho scissors for everyday cutting. But im just wandering what everybody uses to cut hair extensions. The majority of hair extension cutting I do dry, is it ok to use the same scissors or would it be better to purchase a lower priced scissor for this? Im also worried about the fact that the majority of Remy hair is silicone coated, does anybody know if this effects your scissors.

Sorry I can't help but I'm interested to know this too! X

I wouldn't chance it use your old scissors to cut extensions xx

I have worked with exstentions for about 5 years now, and personally wouldn't use scissors to cut them; i find it leaves them looking blocky and un natural.
I ushally use a razor to cut exstentions as it leave its looking softer and maybe just point cut up into them with scissors if i need to.

I have worked with exstentions for about 5 years now, and personally wouldn't use scissors to cut them; i find it leaves them looking blocky and un natural.
I ushally use a razor to cut exstentions as it leave its looking softer and maybe just point cut up into them with scissors if i need to.

I agree with this :)

I also agree xx

Ive been out of hairdressing for about 5 years now and since just starting back ive decided to go for a pair of Kasho scissors for everyday cutting. But im just wandering what everybody uses to cut hair extensions. The majority of hair extension cutting I do dry, is it ok to use the same scissors or would it be better to purchase a lower priced scissor for this? Im also worried about the fact that the majority of Remy hair is silicone coated, does anybody know if this effects your scissors.

I wouldnt use scissors at all, perhaps just to cut into very ends if required, I do all my cutting with a razor & change the blade every 2-3 heads of hair x

I have 2 pairs of scissors & 1 razor I work with, 1 pair to cut bonds, 1 pair for hair and the razor for the bulk of the work hope this helps x

Have any of you use hot razor for hair extensions?

I only use razor unless they want some length cut off then i use my old (but still good) scissors. I domt like the look of layers cut with scissors on extensions as it can look very 'steppy' x

Have any of you use hot razor for hair extensions?

Yes i have an ultrasonic razor and used it for a short while, but personally as long as you have a sharp blade I feel it makes no difference.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I did used to use a razor years ago as this is how the company I trained with taught me. However I was told by a great lengths stylist that I shouldn't be using a razor. He basically told me as a hair dresser I should be using my scissors not a razor, and the only reason people use a razor is because they are not trained hairdressers. He did show me how to cut them and there's no blunt lines, he cuts my extensions and they always look amazing. Most salons ive been to also use scissors I don't think ive ever come across anyone who uses a razor. Do you guys use it on the client's own hair aswell?

I've heard this arguement a lot of times. I know some hairdressers who won't touch a razor and others who won't go near thinning scissors. Personally I use both and my scissors. (Not all 3 on every haircut lol)
I think it's all down to your preference, confidence and training. Just go with your instinct and use what you feel comfortable with :) x

Thanks for all the replies guys, I did used to use a razor years ago as this is how the company I trained with taught me. However I was told by a great lengths stylist that I shouldn't be using a razor. He basically told me as a hair dresser I should be using my scissors not a razor, and the only reason people use a razor is because they are not trained hairdressers. He did show me how to cut them and there's no blunt lines, he cuts my extensions and they always look amazing. Most salons ive been to also use scissors I don't think ive ever come across anyone who uses a razor. Do you guys use it on the client's own hair aswell?

Being a great lengths stylist only means he is trained in GL's prefered method, as in how SAKS and Toni and Guy all train in their own prefered method, as for when i trained, I 1st trained 17yrs ago when I left school and have retained about 7yrs ago and again took up forther training 3yrs ago, and using a razor and using scissors was used side by side in all training regardless or it being hair training or extensions training. both take skill and both achieve different finishes.

Latest posts

Back