Hair extension tips for newbies!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danni1984

Reaction score
Hi geeks, i recenty done a training day on extension and didn't really know much about them before, as extensions are such a mind field and theres so much to learn and take in along the way and lots of doos and donts ive spent ages looking through the Internet and so many geeks ask lots of questions about extension on here so I thought I'd start a thread for all the new extensions geeks in the hope that al the experienced extension geeks can give use some usefull tips or advice that could be valuable to us along the way. Thanks in advance 😜 xxx

Hi geeks, i recenty done a training day on extension and didn't really know much about them before, as extensions are such a mind field and theres so much to learn and take in along the way and lots of doos and donts ive spent ages looking through the Internet and so many geeks ask lots of questions about extension on here so I thought I'd start a thread for all the new extensions geeks in the hope that al the experienced extension geeks can give use some usefull tips or advice that could be valuable to us along the way. Thanks in advance 😜 xxx

Ooh great idea for a thread!! I'm a newbie too do will be keeping an eye out :) x

My advice would be before start training is to find out what method you want to do and learn one method at a time.

Ooh great thread, I was just about to ask about extensions then I spotted your thread! :) I'll be doing a training day soon for sewn in extensions so if anyone has any tips or advice it'll be greatly appreciated!x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Brill idea for a thread! im going to be doing a course with lush us soon, pre bonded and micro rings, its a one day course and you bring a model along with you, what i dont understand is we only have to bring one model but are being trained in 2 different methods? So surly we dont get to do both methods on the day?
I will be asking lush us about this just wondered if anyone eles has done this course and what they thought of it :)

Brill idea for a thread! im going to be doing a course with lush us soon, pre bonded and micro rings, its a one day course and you bring a model along with you, what i dont understand is we only have to bring one model but are being trained in 2 different methods? So surly we dont get to do both methods on the day?
I will be asking lush us about this just wondered if anyone eles has done this course and what they thought of it :)

When I trained with Lush-Us we did micro rings and pre-bonded but did a mix of both on the same head. We also swapped models so we had a greater understanding of the different hair types etc. I personally loved the training course and my model loved the hair, so everyone was happy haha! Hth :) x

Last edited:
ahh well i did wonder if they would do a mix of both on one head lol, thanks very much for clearing that up!
i have never done extensions before so im hoping they are very informative i will be asking lots of questions lol :)

I contacted celebrity elite today as I wanted to know if they only sold 100pks of stick tip hair as I was told that you should buy 250 for a full head and have some left over for maintenance they don't sell them in smaller quantitys so you have to buy 300 instead, I just wanted to know if you pre tipped your own can you do this from a weft of hair from celebrity elite and if yeah how many wefts would you need to buy for a full head ? Xxx

Yes you can pre tip just make sure it's done correctly to avoid shedding. It's all depends on the client and placement of hair extensions. Some people use 1 gram strands so they need less hair some use 0.5 grams and need more hair if you aim for 200gram weft/s and make your strands 0.8 that should be ok for the AVERAGE head. Depending if they want length or thickness xx

If you pretip your own hair from a weft you can decide the thickness of the bonds to match clients hair. I do this for every client

how do you pre tip it yourself?

I have put a video on here on how to do it, look up lancashirelass and it will be one on my posts

Hi geeks!
Just new to this site today, nice to meet you all!!!

I'm looking for some advice with hair extensions. I'm going to be training in micro loop extensions this sunday and I wanted to know if you guys could recommend good hair suppliers. I know there are lots and have been researching for about a week but I can't find what I'm looking for :(

I'm looking for pastel/neon hair extensions (alot of my clients that have expressed interest have asked) and I've hit a wall with my search. I thought you may have been asked the same with pastels being very in at the moment.

Also, the woman who is training me is just an extenstionist and has no cutting experiance, am I best to go on an additional cutting course for extensions? I'm a fully qualified stylist but this is all so new to me. I want to do this to the best of my ablity and keep clients coming back.....please help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi geeks!
Just new to this site today, nice to meet you all!!!

I'm looking for some advice with hair extensions. I'm going to be training in micro loop extensions this sunday and I wanted to know if you guys could recommend good hair suppliers. I know there are lots and have been researching for about a week but I can't find what I'm looking for :(

I'm looking for pastel/neon hair extensions (alot of my clients that have expressed interest have asked) and I've hit a wall with my search. I thought you may have been asked the same with pastels being very in at the moment.

Also, the woman who is training me is just an extenstionist and has no cutting experiance, am I best to go on an additional cutting course for extensions? I'm a fully qualified stylist but this is all so new to me. I want to do this to the best of my ablity and keep clients coming back.....please help!

Thanks in advance!

hi hon i doubt you will find anywhere good quality in those colours, best colouring them yourself (provided the hair is good enough quality) unless you go down the synthetic route, but they aint nice!!

also have you checked your insurance will cover you with this training? only saying as i had looked at a few extra courses and there are a number of things that the insurance werent happy with. definately do a cutting course, as its quite different from cutting the natural hair x

I would look into your training a litle more as I've never heard of a trainer who cannot teach you to blend and style extensions - are they habia approved?

Hi guys I currently fit Balmain double hair but not actually too happy with it. Not the quality of hair which is lovely more how u buy it etc, u get 5 small 'wefts' and up to 50 pre bonds per 'treatment' which they say fits a full head. I don't find this to be enough at all and its nearly £400 for me to buy 1 treatment!

I was recently looking at Tasha jacks which I hear is beautiful hair however they sell in 25g bundles (I think!) I don't know how to pre tip wefts so need to buy it pre bonded which is £15 more per 25g does the average head need 200g for full head? Obviously the more hair clients has will need more. I'm sure I had 250g fitted a few years ago but can't be certain!!

£400 oh god that's alot, I'm not sure about you question but I think I've read somewhere on here 200 tips for a full head but buy 50 extra for top ups but not certain. I had a look at tasha jacks and the price list confused me, let me know how much it costs to do a full head ;) xxx

i usually apply 120-150g for a full head, 200g only if the hair can handle it, there is enough space on the head for it and they want mega thick looking hair, but most people 120-150. the number of tips will depend on the weight of each one eg 0.5g or 1g etc. i often do a mix of sizes so it looks more natural also (but you have to get your placement and spacing spot on so it doesnt look thinner in areas and thicker in others!!) hth xx

The hair from tasha jacks price list is shown in bulk 25g bundles. To have to wefted, tipped. Into nail tips or I-tips is a service which is an extra charge

The hair from tasha jacks price list is shown in bulk 25g bundles. To have to wefted, tipped. Into nail tips or I-tips is a service which is an extra charge

Is it more expensive than celebrity elite? Xxx

Latest posts

Back