Hair extensionist trying to branch out - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanaabdn

Reaction score
I am a fully qualified hairdresser, however i've been out of the business of cutting and colouring for a while.

I'm currently doing hair extensions and hair ups/blow dries. i have been offered a great opportunity to rent a room in a salon, it would be my own room to use and run the way i like.

i want to do some different things as at the moment I'm not busy enough to just do extensions. (i also work full time and i do hair part time)

i'm interested in doing gel nails, brows and lash lifts, i've even been looking into microdermabrasion (which has minimal upfront costs)

problem is, I'm not busy enough to pay the fee they want at the minute, i will also have to decorate and supply my own furniture. i need to do these courses however money is tight.

i just want some advice from like minded individuals, i really want to get this to take off and seems like a really great opportunity. it's exactly what i want, i like to work on my own without any drama. another problem is it is in the shire of where i live so this could work well for me, or i could crash and burn.

any tips on what to do/how to fund etc. i obviously have some money coming in from extensions but at the moment i'm at most doing two heads of hair a week.

Were you thinking of renting 1 day a week or full time?
I guess it depends on how much spare cash you have from your day job to plough into this venture.

In your position, I’d probably forget the room for now and concentrate on building up my list of regulars so I knew I could at least cover the weekly rent. I’d also only take additional courses when I’d worked out how long it will take to cover my costs so the potential outlay, (training, equipment and materials costs) v realistic profit.

It’s all very well having a nice room in a great location but that doesn’t necessarily equal a steady stream of regular clients. You really need to have a decent amount of savings to cover your bills for at least 6 months. An awful lot of folk get carried away by the excitement of it all and spend ££££ on training and set up costs without working out a solid business plan.

i would be renting at least two days a week (maybe 3)

yeah i think your right, i need to focus on building up my business at the moment the way it is.

in my new house i will have room for a chair etc so would like to be doing hair from home.

if that doesn't work out there are cheaper chair rents in aberdeen i could look into.

thanks so much for your input

Latest posts

Back