Hair extensions & chlorine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nietta

Reaction score
How many of you extensionist a have been trained to & do tell clients never to go into swimming pools with their hair?
I have worn various suppliers hair, various qualities and lived abroad and here in the uk swimming in the Sean and all different pools.
One of my clients submerged her hair once in a pool and her hair matted I to a lump like I have NEVER seen before. I've had to remove the whole head. The matte is massive and almost looks like the hair has melted Into this matte. It cannot be brushed out or pulled apart, it is so bad.
Supplier suggests it is her fault for swimming with her hair, however I've never been told to tell a client she cannot go swimming!!! Supplier I refusing to help, and I have an upset client (long time client, perfect aftercare) who wants a lump of money back which I'll have to find!!

How would you proceed and why have you been told about extensions and chlorine?? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384468942.662822.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384468928.297820.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384468928.297820.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 197
Is it all the extensions or only a few?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

How many of you extensionist a have been trained to & do tell clients never to go into swimming pools with their hair?
I have worn various suppliers hair, various qualities and lived abroad and here in the uk swimming in the Sean and all different pools.
One of my clients submerged her hair once in a pool and her hair matted I to a lump like I have NEVER seen before. I've had to remove the whole head. The matte is massive and almost looks like the hair has melted Into this matte. It cannot be brushed out or pulled apart, it is so bad.
Supplier suggests it is her fault for swimming with her hair, however I've never been told to tell a client she cannot go swimming!!! Supplier I refusing to help, and I have an upset client (long time client, perfect aftercare) who wants a lump of money back which I'll have to find!!

How would you proceed and why have you been told about extensions and chlorine?? View attachment 47938

I was told to warn clients to keep out of chlorine & salt water. If they do go on holiday to tie the hair up in a plait & then into a bun but still keep out of the water.

If they do get it wet to rinse thoroughly and wash ASAP.

That being said, I had a client who jumped in the pool drunk at 5am in the morning on holiday, hair down and went to bed without washing or drying it or even tying it up and the hair was absolutely fine. Ok, her natural roots were knotted when she came back 2 weeks later, but the hair itself and the bonds were absolutely fine.

I think the chlorine & salt water advise is because they are so drying (my natural hair takes a bashing when I go on holiday - so extensions having no natural oils are likely to dry much much quicker).

Unfortunately most suppliers will have the same policy. :(

4 areas of small matting and one massive matte that was almost all the hair on one side x

Yes I had a client who went to a water park and ended up looking like this even though she said it was in a pleat :'(

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I just came back from two week holiday and was in water everyday and put hair up in a bun on top of my head and only got my extensions fully wet 3 times I dident have any problems I made sure I sprayed it with loads of leave in conditioner did feel a lot dryer by end of holiday but no matting. Years ago though I did have this problem after snorkeling and couldn't get bobble out of my hair had to sit and take them all out on holiday was a nightmare

I tell them because I would rather protect myself and the client from this - that being said, I have clients who have done the same and its been fine.

Could it be that some pools have higher levels of chlorine?

Yes always taught to not get extensions in chlorine. If it does happen to rinse straight away wash and apply a deep conditioner. God that matte looks real bad bless her xx

I went on holiday this year and all I do is rinse my hair before I get in the water and then when I get out and put a leave in conditioner spray on it whilst then sunbathing. Iv never had any problems with any clients on holiday with it. If it's only in a few places surely its not the hair then? Its some thing shes done? And possibly not saying?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I tell all of my customer to stay well away from chlorine as you just don't know how it will react with the extension hair. It's a tough one though as if this isn't stipulated in your aftercare sheet then she wouldn't know not to go swimming.

You're not supposed to swim in salt water or chlorine it ruins the hair.

Never swim with extensions chlorine really ruins them

I tell clients to stay away from chlorine but if I'm honest I always go swimming with my extensions in ad it's never ever ruined or dried them out I always put them in a loose pleat and that's the key,that matting above is probably caused by the client wrapping her hair in a band and then going into the water iv seen it a few times and clients admit that they didn't put it in a pleat xx

We always tell students to inform their clients to always rinse hair thoroughly when they have gone swiming as chlorine and salt water can cause havoc with extensions.

Putting the hair up ontop of the head with a soft scrunchie is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back