Hair extensions client refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FionaM__X

Reaction score
Okay so I am worrying myself sick over this one all day and need some advice.

I did a new client's hair 13 days ago. When she came from her consultation as always I went through my terms and conditions and refund policy (clearly stating that if she had any problems with the hair at point of fitting to tell me and I would rectify, she had 24 hours after returning home to contact me with any problems and I would fix free of charge) I have never actually had to use this form against anyone until now.
Anyway the hair arrived - from the supplier I use all the time - I quality checked it, all was fine and I showed her the hair, she felt it, it was all fine.
After I fitted it I explained the 24 hour thing again saying "have a feel" "does it feel comfortable ... not to tight/loose?" and she said it was grand, thanked & paid me and left.

Now nearly 2 weeks later she has contacted me to tell me she is extremely unhappy with the hair, she said it does not look like 18" but it looks like its all different lengths and the ends are blunt and it doesn't look like any extensions she's ever had. I took pics before she left as I do with every client and I sent her them and told her I wouldn't let her leave if I believed there was any issues with her hair.
She sent me pics and I can see where she is coming from but 100% did not look like that when she left me. Normally I cut the straggly ends off and blend the sides in with her own hair but she specifically requested I didn't cut anything so I did not. The problem lies with the hair itself and not my fitting, and she signed a form to say she understood I cannot offer a refund unless she tells me in the first 24 hours she has noticed a problem with the fitting.

She's messaging me demanding a refund and threatening me with lawyers/trading standards/slating me on facebook. I've been told lawyers wont even look at this as its a civil case rather than a criminal case so not to worry but me being me and I am very worried my name is dragged through the dirt. She has said she will come to my door until I give her money!!

obviously I have contacted my supplier but I felt the hair was up to satisfactory level before I fitted it or else I would have sent it back, so Im aware theres nothing they will do.

If you were in my situation what would you do? Im such a worrier and have been quite upset about it especially as Ive only been doing extensions a year and im still young and have less experience than other technicians. My mum / family have reassured me Ive done everything right and responded professionally to her aggressive messages. Ive also printed all her messages off along with how ive replied and I know I have nothing to hide as the hair WAS up to standard and she did say she was happy with it at the time? I don't have £200 in my purse to hand over to her... I only made £30 off her as the hair was £170 and I don't want to have to give up £200 of my own money for hair that she feels is faulty.
(Also I have only seen pics so far, she is supposed to come to my house on Friday but im scared as she seems very aggressive and threatening)

Please advise :( :( :(

hiya have you got the pictures and ill have a look sometimes its good to have another persons oppinion and i fit at least 5/10 sets a week if i can help you i will dont worry either xx

I'm not an extensionist, but if she's signed the disclaimer, you have pictures, then she won't have a leg to stand on.

I know you guys have strict aftercare policies to follow...has she stuck to this?

If she makes a time to come to you, make sure someone is there with you. Don't let her intimidate you. X

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Keep it professional!

All this texting to and fro is no good. Take the emotion out of it (I know it's hard).

Personally I think 24 hours is a bit too harsh, you should guarantee a bit longer. We have a 2 week rectify period, you need to at least give her the chance to wash and dry it herself, see where it sits.

As per sooo many threads on here, have you actually invited her back to asses the issue? Why are refunds even being discussed when, I get the impression, you havent seen her again.

If a client comes with you with an issue, firstly ask to see them in person to assess the situation - NEVER make statements before this. This will weed out the pee- takers, as most chancres won't want to face you if there's actually nothing wrong.

I always compare it to clothes shopping, would you ring up Topshop to ask for a refund on an item you won't return to the shop?

Then when you assess it make a calm decision, I can't see by your post what the actual problem is? That's it's straggly? You would be able to see in person, and from the pics, if she's had it recut elsewhere. Is she using your recommended aftercare?

These chances automatically pick up on the fact you will willing refund money!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

What method did you use?

hiya have you got the pictures and ill have a look sometimes its good to have another persons oppinion and i fit at least 5/10 sets a week if i can help you i will dont worry either xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413316798.158928.jpg

I'm not sure if this picture works as I'm just trying to work out the app lol! This was 13 days ago when she left, I never cut and blended as she told me not to. It's a beaded weave (or micro weave). I fit about 5-8 a week using the same supplier and never have a problem. She's claiming the hair is all different lengths and the hair is rubbish quality and I shouldn't have put it in her hair as I am the professional but to me it looked the same as all hair I fit... Most clients get a lifespan of about 3-4 months before having to buy new hair xx

Is she using the right aftercare? Probably not! There's your answer.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413317037.595896.jpg

This is the only picture she sent me, you can see the ends look a bit odd like someone has gave her a hack job with scissors... She told me not to cut & blend so I didn't but I'm sure it didn't look like that when she left 13 days ago! Also why would she wait so long to tell me how unhappy she is? I've arranged for her to come so I can see it on Friday but I've never been in a situation like this and am quite worried as she seems very intimidating and I don't want to be walked over x

She won't be like that in real life it's all a front over text!

I would say bluntly - you can't see from the pics that the hair has been cut.

Have you got some left over? I would measure it against what's left and say hair extensions don't wake up one day and think ' today I'll be be an inch shorter and blunt' ( maybe I'm a bit too sarcastic lol)

Do you have the picture of the hair after you had cut and finished it? Sometimes it can look nice and even from the back but when brought to the front it needs more softening/blending x

Has she had extensions before? It could even be that she's hacked at them herself realised she's done a crap job and now is blaming you, I'm sure you would have noticed if they had looked like this when you had fitted and she would be back in contact a lot sooner than 13 days! x

View attachment 76815

This is the only picture she sent me, you can see the ends look a bit odd like someone has gave her a hack job with scissors... She told me not to cut & blend so I didn't but I'm sure it didn't look like that when she left 13 days ago! Also why would she wait so long to tell me how unhappy she is? I've arranged for her to come so I can see it on Friday but I've never been in a situation like this and am quite worried as she seems very intimidating and I don't want to be walked over x

Do you have the picture of the hair after you had cut and finished it? Sometimes it can look nice and even from the back but when brought to the front it needs more softening/blending x

Jade :D she didn't want it cut or blended

So it needs a cut but she wants a refund?! Some people are just awkward for the sake of it, that would be visible from day 1.

It also looks a bit cardboardy, though that might be the picture, that could suggest not washing it enough or using pantene etc makes it stiff.

I would offer her to come in and assess the situation as sometimes toing&froing works you both up into a suspicious mess.

Start by assuming it wants a trim & a deep condition and reiterate her care.

I do think 24hrs is tight, possibly she thinks she has to play hardball from the start. I say to give it a week & pop back if needs be, then its been washed twice (when it removes the steamed in packing conditioner and gains volume), theyve got over bedtime uncomfies and can truly see any gaps or feathering needed, i think ive had 2-3 returns last 18months and everyones happy as they know its a 10min fix.

I understand thou if your only taking £30 your probably not wanting to spread that further over extra time, id suggest taking a look at your supplier, for instance Prestige (they do a small discount to techs) will earn you more then twice profit on a regular head and its real nice hair and real nice bonds (4mm lined copper tubes are ideal) well worth a £200 asking price

(Other suppliers are suggested on here if you search the boards)

Hth

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Jade :D she didn't want it cut or blended

My bad 🙈 x

I don't think you can tell much from the photo she sent you as it looks like she's put it all over to one side on her shoulder to take the photo where as yours is from the back and as she didn't want it cut in it's bound to look uneven. I don't understand why you would let a client leave without cutting the extensions in though. I would want to see her asap and try to rectify the problem with the hair. I'm sure it must be really horrible having someone slating you on Facebook ect and she is completely in the wrong for doing that before she has even seen you about the problem but if you try and put that to one side and focus on fixing the problem. If she isn't happy I would probably just give a refund over and ask her to remove her slander from the internet. Yes it's a lot of money to lose but I'm sure you will lose more with bad feedback and a bad name. Good luck.

...If she isn't happy I would probably just give a refund over and ask her to remove her slander from the internet. Yes it's a lot of money to lose but I'm sure you will lose more with bad feedback and a bad name. Good luck.

Rubbish. Most people have more sense than to believe everything that's posted on Facebook.

Don't refund unless you know you've cocked up.

If you believe you did a reasonable job, tell her so and tell her you won't be intimidated.

Rubbish. Most people have more sense than to believe everything that's posted on Facebook.

Don't refund unless you know you've cocked up.

If you believe you did a reasonable job, tell her so and tell her you won't be intimidated.

Most mobile extensionists use Facebook as promotion. Client reviews are really important to sustain getting new clients and yes actually a bad review with photos can be quite off putting. Also having an unhappy client slandering you on the internet can be very damaging to a small business.

Like I said though I think it is probably just where they haven't been cut in and the position she has her in makes it looks worse than it is and I'm sure once they have been it should look fine. At the end of the day she did want extensions so I'm sure she'd rather you rectified the problem rather than took the hair out. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi I would say I cannot commit to anything or make any comments over photos or text or even phone calls , I have got to see you. If you do feel intimidated by her I would have a friend be about not in the same room but just about if she was to be aggressive. I would try and get another professional to look too if you know anyone.

24 hours isn't very long. I personally have a 2 week check on all my extension clients which I do for free and 9/10 clients I see for 15 mins everything is totally fine.

I only qualified in May but this has worked so well for me and clients I'll be keeping it and I've worked it into my price really too x

I mean 24 to say if they have any issues with my fitting, Incase maybe someone is too scared to say in the salon or don't notice a problem until they're home. She is convinced I've put 18", 16" and 14" hair on her head which I obviously haven't! She said it looks like a 4 year olds job, I fit plenty heads a day and I've never had any problems like this. I offered to cut & blend free of charge and she declined. She's informed me she's spoke to citizens advice and trading standards and they will write to me in due course... I don't think I should have to refund her money out my pocket when it's the hair itself that's the "issue" and not my fitting? Xx

I mean 24 to say if they have any issues with my fitting, Incase maybe someone is too scared to say in the salon or don't notice a problem until they're home. She is convinced I've put 18", 16" and 14" hair on her head which I obviously haven't! She said it looks like a 4 year olds job, I fit plenty heads a day and I've never had any problems like this. I offered to cut & blend free of charge and she declined. She's informed me she's spoke to citizens advice and trading standards and they will write to me in due course... I don't think I should have to refund her money out my pocket when it's the hair itself that's the "issue" and not my fitting? Xx

I would just leave it now and wait to hear I'd be very surprised if she gets anywhere she is trying to get money out of you !

Also if you say you have offered to see her how can anyone expect you to act accordingly with out accessing the hair in person ! ?

I'd keep it very formal now do NOT offer any money with out seeing the hair x

Latest posts

Back