Hair extensions..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeygrace

Reaction score
Hellooo, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but really want some advice of some professionals.
I had micro bead extensions put in late december and had them out last week. The woman ignored my texts so had to have my mum take them out. I knew they was all matted at the root so needed them removing asap yet when i had them maintained a few weeks before she advised me to take them out in afew weeks but said it was not matted at the root (even though i could feel it) and she put more in my sides.
After they were removed my whole hair was completely matted. It took a lot of time to get the matts out and my hair was coming out in clumps. I had very thick hair so its not very noticable, only to me, but my hair is now longer on one side than the other which is noticeable. What is the best thing to do to get the thickness and length back asap? I know its not a quick process but any help and advice is greatly appreciated. My head also still aches from them...

I am not clued up on extensions so you will prob get so better advice, but as a hairdresser I'd advise you to get a good haircut and invest in some quality products from the salon. Go to a couple of salons and have a consultation, they will have a good look at your hair and you will get a feel for the stylist because having confidence in them is key. Also stick with one hairdresser if you find a good one because they can see your hair progressing And improving. Aw it's awful when your hair isn't right! X

I know no matter what you do you never feel right when your hair isnt lol!
Im too gullible and believed the ladys claims that it does not damage your hair and unfortunatley she messed me around when it come to maintanance and removing :(
I paid £250 for them and she said they would last 6 months so quite dissapointed but least I have learnt my lesson lol thanks for your advice i will be visiting a hairdresser x x

A good extensionsist should never damage your hair hun - before fitting, did you have a consultation and such like? Did you see certificates of qualifications and insurance? Were you given aftercare advice and products?

So sorry you have had this experience - sounds like a dodgy fitting and such to me :(

Don't lose faith hun - there are some amazing extensionists out there xxxx

Also -since your fitting, how many maintenance appointments have you had? xxx

Without sounding harsh how do you know she received your texts? If you rang her then you would be sure she had received them. If you text you don't if the lady is on holiday or ill etc, then she gets a slagging for not responding. Sorry but it bugs the hell out of me, whatever happened to picking up the phone.

I'm sorry if you're positive you had matting at the time of maintenance she should have sorted that at the time. Matting usually occurs when your natural hairloss gets trapped and wraps around other bonds.I advise my clients to seperate their bonds daily, was you told to do this? This is where a Tangle Teezer is superb. I had a client who's were severely matted she didn't have maintenance for 10 weeks and it was totally matted in between her bonds but her natural hair the extensions were fine , also her hair in between was clogged with grease, shampoo, styling products etc, she simple hadn't looked after them correctly, and was to scared to wash bonds correctly as she hadn't lost any didn't feel she needed maintenance. It took me an hour after removing the extensions just to get the knots out of her hair. I consequently refused to fit any more as I felt she couldn't look after them, and hadn't listened to me or read the aftercare sheet I had gone through thoroughly with her and she had signed.

The hairloss you have experienced is the hair that has been trapped in your bonds for the past 3 months, it is really scarey when that happens but it's not your hair being ripped out, it will feel thinner as you've removed a large bulk of hair, also lots a people's hair grows slower one side than the other. Having the extensions have shown this up. As the extensionist involved didn't remove them I really don't think it's fair she's getting a roasting, but all said and done no one can say much without seeing your hair before, during and after.
Definately get a good cut and hopefully your hair will be fine. Sorry I'm not having a go, if your an experienced wearer then you'd know if things are normal or not if a first time wearer you should always go with a reputable extensionist/hairdresser that way any problems you have complete come back. Hopefully this is the case.

Good luck

I am not clued up on extensions so you will prob get so better advice, but as a hairdresser I'd advise you to get a good haircut and invest in some quality products from the salon. Go to a couple of salons and have a consultation, they will have a good look at your hair and you will get a feel for the stylist because having confidence in them is key. Also stick with one hairdresser if you find a good one because they can see your hair progressing And improving. Aw it's awful when your hair isn't right! X

Brilliant advice x

Before I say anything I need to clarify that this is not directed at the OP just in general this topic made me think. I agree with Fuzion. Not saying you the OP specifically did anything wrong but I am also fed up with clients thinking were miracle workers and that extensions can just be treated poorly like some do with their own hair and any problems are our fault. That we put them in and then thats that! Its dead hair for gods sake, attached to a tiny section of hair that will grow out and that can matt at the root. Extensions are truly an art and correct placement and method is crucial but I as an extensionist can only do so much. People need to understand that extensions require extra care and that they need to be properly maintained throughout. They can't be put in a bun on top of your head all the time, they can't be washed up side down as the extra weight can be harmful, they can't be colored with box dyes as they are color treated in a different way most of the time, they can't be straightened and curled everyday and expected to look amazing as they don't get the natural nutrients your hair does even if the hair extensions are of great quality and they definitely can't just be left there without being brushed (especially after some time between the sheets if you know what I mean).

I know my work, I trust my work and I know I am good at it. I can't be blamed for not following proper aftercare when it has been advised and given to them. Really bugs me when a client had a problem that is their fault (like have a brazilian blow dry when extensions are in) and then complain they are slipping or coming out or trying to blame it all on us because It cant Possibly be their own fault. It just makes me angry some clients who has experienced hair loss or complains about something or other and then I go there and they have pulled them out themselves because they were bored, has used crappy drugstore shampoos, coloured them with home dye and complains of matting or didn't want to read the aftercare as it was boring so therefore didn't know to separate the bonds and I am greeted (after 4 months when they finally come in contact) by one giant dreadlock that takes 2 hours to sort out and then they wonder why it is taking longer than I said it would. And I agree about picking up the phone and calling! Sometimes a text can't be answered there and then as there are other clients or possible reasons not to answer straight away. And there is no way of knowing they have been delivered sometimes.

We can't baby our clients but sometimes I feel it is required or my work is shown in a bad light. Some people just should not be allowed to have them in! We complain so much on here about unqualified extensionists, but a lot of horrible messes are brought on by the clients themselves when they are too lazy to take proper care. That being said, if something does feel wrong and you know you have been following aftercare, I think it is important you give the extensionist a chance to fix it. If something is wrong they will be able to tell. I for one would be the first to say if something was wrong with my work and would go out of my way to fix it if that is the case. This is not AT ALL directed to the OP I just really needed to vent.

Last edited:
Hellooo, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but really want some advice of some professionals.
I had micro bead extensions put in late december and had them out last week. The woman ignored my texts so had to have my mum take them out. I knew they was all matted at the root so needed them removing asap yet when i had them maintained a few weeks before she advised me to take them out in afew weeks but said it was not matted at the root (even though i could feel it) and she put more in my sides.
After they were removed my whole hair was completely matted. It took a lot of time to get the matts out and my hair was coming out in clumps. I had very thick hair so its not very noticable, only to me, but my hair is now longer on one side than the other which is noticeable. What is the best thing to do to get the thickness and length back asap? I know its not a quick process but any help and advice is greatly appreciated. My head also still aches from them...

HI sorry to hear about your hair....you say your Mum took out the extensions did she use the proper removal tools, fluid,etc I dont know anything about micro bead extensions but I do know all extensions should be removed with the proper equipment and a person who knows what they are doing or it can cause so much damage especially if the hair is matted..x

Thanks for all the advice,
as for the text, obviously I can not be 100% sure she recieved it, but after failing to turn up to a maintenance appointment twice and then cancelling half an hour before one Im pretty sure it was recieved. I agree i should of tried ringing her but she had always told me to text because of work etc yet it has been over a week since i text and still no reply.

My mum had to take them out because on my last maintenance that is what she said to do she said any one can take them out. She advised to take them out with pliers, sorry if this sounds naive but this is what she said to do so i did lol

I never once wore my hair up as you could see all the bonds so i had no choice, i rarely straightened it, and followed all the advice I was given, but i was never told to seperate the bonds so did not do this.

I was advised dead hair would come out but I have hardly any hair at the back of my head I think maybe more than dead hair has came out.

I was not slagging off any extensionists i just wanted advice on my hair, I have just gave the facts of what happened. I would admit if i did not follow aftercare but i loved the extensions so did it religiously as i wanted to keep them as long as i could.

Last edited:
A good extensionsist should never damage your hair hun - before fitting, did you have a consultation and such like? Did you see certificates of qualifications and insurance? Were you given aftercare advice and products?

So sorry you have had this experience - sounds like a dodgy fitting and such to me :(

Don't lose faith hun - there are some amazing extensionists out there xxxx

Also -since your fitting, how many maintenance appointments have you had? xxx

Thanks for your help!
I seen her certificate she did a course as that was not her normal job,
All together I had 3 maintenance as she did not turn up to 2 and cancelled one last minute. She never tightened my beads only added more in even when I said they all felt matted she said they wasnt matted at the root (which they was) lol.
I do not want to put people off having them as I have just had a bad experience but did love wearing them!

thanks again x x

Before I say anything I need to clarify that this is not directed at the OP just in general this topic made me think. I agree with Fuzion. Not saying you the OP specifically did anything wrong but I am also fed up with clients thinking were miracle workers and that extensions can just be treated poorly like some do with their own hair and any problems are our fault. That we put them in and then thats that! Its dead hair for gods sake, attached to a tiny section of hair that will grow out and that can matt at the root. Extensions are truly an art and correct placement and method is crucial but I as an extensionist can only do so much. People need to understand that extensions require extra care and that they need to be properly maintained throughout. They can't be put in a bun on top of your head all the time, they can't be washed up side down as the extra weight can be harmful, they can't be colored with box dyes as they are color treated in a different way most of the time, they can't be straightened and curled everyday and expected to look amazing as they don't get the natural nutrients your hair does even if the hair extensions are of great quality and they definitely can't just be left there without being brushed (especially after some time between the sheets if you know what I mean).

I know my work, I trust my work and I know I am good at it. I can't be blamed for not following proper aftercare when it has been advised and given to them. Really bugs me when a client had a problem that is their fault (like have a brazilian blow dry when extensions are in) and then complain they are slipping or coming out or trying to blame it all on us because It cant Possibly be their own fault. It just makes me angry some clients who has experienced hair loss or complains about something or other and then I go there and they have pulled them out themselves because they were bored, has used crappy drugstore shampoos, coloured them with home dye and complains of matting or didn't want to read the aftercare as it was boring so therefore didn't know to separate the bonds and I am greeted (after 4 months when they finally come in contact) by one giant dreadlock that takes 2 hours to sort out and then they wonder why it is taking longer than I said it would. And I agree about picking up the phone and calling! Sometimes a text can't be answered there and then as there are other clients or possible reasons not to answer straight away. And there is no way of knowing they have been delivered sometimes.

We can't baby our clients but sometimes I feel it is required or my work is shown in a bad light. Some people just should not be allowed to have them in! We complain so much on here about unqualified extensionists, but a lot of horrible messes are brought on by the clients themselves when they are too lazy to take proper care. That being said, if something does feel wrong and you know you have been following aftercare, I think it is important you give the extensionist a chance to fix it. If something is wrong they will be able to tell. I for one would be the first to say if something was wrong with my work and would go out of my way to fix it if that is the case. This is not AT ALL directed to the OP I just really needed to vent.

I agree with this soooo much! I have been doing extensions for 8 years now , and trained un various different methods, i know what I'm doing and I'm good at my job, but it does frustrate the hell out of me when clients don't look after them themselves, it makes me feel like I'm bad at my job. then on the other hank you have amazing clients who don't even really need the maintenance , but regularly attend, and their extensions are still perfect. If someone does not look after them the first time i won't reapply. At the end of the day they are an advert of our work, and their poor care will affect our business

" I really don't think it's fair she's getting a roasting, but all said and done "
Thanks for your advice, just wanted to add i dont think she has got a "roasting" as i just stated the facts and never mentioned her name or anything about her x

Latest posts

Back