Hair matting during sleep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchel

Reaction score
Recently over the past year I've started sleeping on my back. (I have no idea why it's happened as I've always slept on my side.)

Because of it, there is place in the crown, a rather large area, that is matting and forming to my head. When I brush it, it comes out a little, but often during the day it goes back to be flat and sort of molded to my head. It's also causing some breakage.

I've bought a silk pillow case, but I have trouble sleeping on it. (It feels like a cheap motel pillow on the outskirts of Vegas.) Hopefully I get used to it. Perhaps I need a new pillow as well?

My hair is two inches past my shoulders and highlighted. No recent lightener brought down through the lengths in any way. xx Thank you for any input.

Recently over the past year I've started sleeping on my back. (I have no idea why it's happened as I've always slept on my side.)

Because of it, there is place in the crown, a rather large area, that is matting and forming to my head. When I brush it, it comes out a little, but often during the day it goes back to be flat and sort of molded to my head. It's also causing some breakage.

I've bought a silk pillow case, but I have trouble sleeping on it. (It feels like a cheap motel pillow on the outskirts of Vegas.) Hopefully I get used to it. Perhaps I need a new pillow as well?

My hair is two inches past my shoulders and highlighted. No recent lightener brought down through the lengths in any way. xx Thank you for any input.

Hair tie maybe?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha , yeh a fabric covered hair tie is good for long hair x

My sister in law has this problem, has been like it since she was a toddler. She either sleeps with it tied up or uses a leave in conditioner. It's also not uncommon for her to sleep with deep conditioner in her hair! I don't know how she sleeps comfortably in this way though lol.

Thank you Cottoncandy and Lisa. I have scrunchies and fabric hair ties. I'm just worried about putting even more stress on the hair by tying it back. I'll try it tonight.x

My sister in law has this problem, has been like it since she was a toddler. She either sleeps with it tied up or uses a leave in conditioner. It's also not uncommon for her to sleep with deep conditioner in her hair! I don't know how she sleeps comfortably in this way though lol.

Do you know how she sleeps with it tied up? Like a top knot?? One side of my hair looks normal and the other side the hair is slicked down and shaped to my head and thinning and breaking.

(It's the worst hair disaster I've ever had. It's so weird.)

I would just loosely tie it on top of head / top knot x

I would just loosely tie it on top of head / top knot x

Ok. I'll try that x. Thanks. Because if I left down, it's still down my back and pulling under my back which is where some breakage is as well as at crown.

Try a good old fashioned hair net😉

Get a really good quality satin pillow case. Not one of those shiny ones, go into a good store to buy one. I used to live in switzerland and the bedding that I could buy there was 100% cotton but brushed to feel like satin. It makes the world of difference!

Try a good old fashioned hair net😉

I will totally give it a try :) Anything to prevent this one sided mess. So wacko my body suddenly decided to sleep on my back when I never have.

Get a really good quality satin pillow case. Not one of those shiny ones, go into a good store to buy one. I used to live in switzerland and the bedding that I could buy there was 100% cotton but brushed to feel like satin. It makes the world of difference!

Thank you. What I'm using now is the shiny cheap sort. At least it feels that way to me. My head slips off.

Is there a price range you would consider good quality? Or a brand perhaps? Always wanted a silk pillow slip :)

Mine is the same all of a sudden! Except its the ends that are becoming matted and caused a lot of breakage over the winter there as my hair is all bleached from a level 5 to a 10! It's the worst condition it's been in, in a long time ! Which resulted in me having to get about 2-3 inches cut off 3 weeks ago and she said she could've taken more but as I was getting my extensions in then she wouldn't .. And it's all down to it matting at the ends and me having to brush it out in the morning .. In last two months I've started wearing a Scrunchie loosely at the nape and it's made such a difference !

Do you know how she sleeps with it tied up? Like a top knot?? One side of my hair looks normal and the other side the hair is slicked down and shaped to my head and thinning and breaking.

(It's the worst hair disaster I've ever had. It's so weird.)

She chucks it right on top of her head. Tbh she isn't very gentle with it, it's naturally fine hair anyway. Feels like a baby's hair. But since she started doing that and stopped using bleach and excessive heat, it has grown quite nicely. It will always be fine and very soft though.

Latest posts

Back