Hair question from a non-hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks,

I'm not a hairdresser, so please excuse my, what may be, an amateur question!

I've dyed my hair this eve using Garnier Nutresse nourishing foam in Iced Mocha. My hair is naturally a very dark chocolate brown and I was merely dying it as I always do, to cover up some unwanted silvery strands that have landed upon me if late!! However, it's gone almost black, which looks ok, so not a total nightmare, but it's darker than I generally like.

Is there a way of lightening it back to a rich dark brown (sort of mahogany)? I'm guessing dying over almost jet black is pretty hard to do?!

Thank you xx

Hi hair geeks,

I'm not a hairdresser, so please excuse my, what may be, an amateur question!

I've dyed my hair this eve using Garnier Nutresse nourishing foam in Iced Mocha. My hair is naturally a very dark chocolate brown and I was merely dying it as I always do, to cover up some unwanted silvery strands that have landed upon me if late!! However, it's gone almost black, which looks ok, so not a total nightmare, but it's darker than I generally like.

Is there a way of lightening it back to a rich dark brown (sort of mahogany)? I'm guessing dying over almost jet black is pretty hard to do?!

Thank you xx

LOL. I see you're from the beauty side so hopefully you'll appreciate what I'm about to say:

Hair dye is like a spray tan - if you go too dark, you can't just 'spray the lighter version on' and expect a lighter result. :D

You need to let it fade or 'exfoliate' it out. Try shampooing with washing up liquid, bubble bath or other cheap detergents for a couple of days. Your hair will feel like rubbish but the 'iced' part of the colour will quickly come out leaving you with a more natural brown. swap back to your regular shampoo and conditioner after that.

Good luck :)

Fab, thank you... I wasn't sure what I could use to fade it out a bit, other than just waiting for it to fade naturally!

Like I said, it's not a complete disaster as I have very dark hair anyway, but it is darker than I normally like... not keen on the almost jet black look on me, a bit too severe!

Blimey, I've had a right week of it, last week I had a tan go too dark, this week hair.... years and years of doing these things and it all happens in one week, lol :eek:

Thank you x

Latest posts

Back