Hair style for 8 year old girl?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittone05

Reaction score
So I don't venture here ever lol be gentle with me ;)

My 8 year old is desperate for a new style for the school term.

She currently has hair down to below her shoulder blades ( perhaps 18" or so? ) but is asking for a short cut akin to a pixie cut. I worry this will be a little much maintenance for us both - I would have to straighten it etc every day and don't want to damage her hair by using too much heat/product etc

Can anyone recommend a site or even a style for a child her age that ish't too grown up but also isn't a standard bob as she really doesn't want one at all.

I will try to find a pic of her so that you can see her face type and shape etc xx

Photo0001.jpg

Blimey you're an easy going mum, I remember when I was that age and asked my mum if I could have it cut like madonna's Who's That Girl style. She said "when you're old enough to earn your own money, you can have your hair however you like, until then you'll have it how I say!!!" I ended up with usual straight, blunt cut length and a fringe that was always about an inch above my eyebrows :-(
1988 is a looooong time ago thank goodness lol.
Sorry I know this story is of no help, just thought i'd share lol x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

lol I was never allowed my haircut when I was younger - until my aunti had a cut short back and sides with gel spikes and when my gran went out, she took me and had mine done the same lmao

Just want a suitable style that isn't loads of maintenance :D xx

Hi,

what about an asymetric bob, keeping a lot of length.

My niece is 10 and has this cut, quite easy to manage, trendy too.

Attachments

• asymetric bob.jpg
    asymetric bob.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,866
Keep it long...i like little girls with long hair lol, i feel having modern cuts at that age just makes them seem too grown up :sad:

Blimey you're an easy going mum, I remember when I was that age and asked my mum if I could have it cut like madonna's Who's That Girl style. She said "when you're old enough to earn your own money, you can have your hair however you like, until then you'll have it how I say!!!" I ended up with usual straight, blunt cut length and a fringe that was always about an inch above my eyebrows :-(
1988 is a looooong time ago thank goodness lol.
Sorry I know this story is of no help, just thought i'd share lol x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

LOL!

Keep it long...i like little girls with long hair lol, i feel having modern cuts at that age just makes them seem too grown up :sad:

Kind of have to agree with this!

Jacqui xx

My Daughter who is now 10 wanted a different style. So I let her have long layers around 1 or 2 and shaped mildly around the face, she was chuffed the fact her hair had changed but still long, lol. Maybe you could try this with your Daughter so you kill two birds with one stone, your Daughter gets a new style and it's still long to tie up for school soshe doesn't get unwanted visitors.

I love her hair being long - I braid it in every direction possible, kipper plaits, barrel curls - even a Lady Gaga inspired bow before today lol I love playing with it and doing it all fancy and she has the best done hair in her school ( een if I do say so myself as she has never once gone in with just a pony tail yet lmao )

My issue with the length is....

It never stays straight even after a blow dry and GHD's. i buy good products for it, good conditioner etc but it always seems rat tail like if that makes sense.

It is quite fine so can be a nightmare to deal with when it comes to brushing etc

She is "scalp sensitive " ( I think that is what they call it at hairdressers? ) so hates having it brushed due to the knotting all the time.

I know that having it cropped won't resolve certain issues but she is of a mind that less hair means less knots, less time with me touching it. I know that it will mean more work ( I have gone from long to short and know how much more time it can take ) and that she wil be even more proone to extra visitors - like she doesn't get them enough already despite my efforts her hair screams to them!! xx

I

My issue with the length is....

i buy good products for it, good conditioner etc but it always seems rat tail like if that makes sense.

It is quite fine so can be a nightmare to deal with when it comes to brushing etc

She is "scalp sensitive " ( I think that is what they call it at hairdressers? ) so hates having it brushed due to the knotting all the time.

I'm not a hair person but I thought I'd come and say that my 9 year old is exactly the same. Her hair length is to her bottom and like your daughter, looks like it hasn't even been brushed 5 minutes after a good brushing! She hates having it washed as she says it's painful.

She always hated brushing it, until we used Osmo products and then got a Tangle Teezer. These two products have changed our mornings and evenings - now we no longer have tears of agony when she brushes her incredibly fine and knotty hair. She's also stopped asking us to get her hair cut short!
Tangle Teezer is a fabulous product

why not ease her into shorter hair, rather than taking the extreme chop! Id recommend a longer version of the assymetric bob, just below shoulders, almost a concave bob, texturise a fringe, just to move that centre parting. That way if she wants to scrunch it up wavey curls it'll still look trendy but her age! hths xoxo

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :D 8 year old a.k.a Holly-May is reading away and is so pleased that all "the proper hairdressers" are replying to "her post" lol

I have convinced her so fr to have a fringe and leave it long with perhaps a couple of long layers for when she wears it down? Shouldn't interfere with my need to put it up and fancify it haha xx

Hi, i've just convinced my 9 yr old to have a bob as the morning 'tangle/scream' issue was getting too much, she loves it!
I realise she doesn't want one but i love girls bobs - especially if they go a bit wavy and messy.
I wouldn't worry about it not staying straight, i love my daughters hair most when shes been swimming in the sea and its dried all ratty and wavy ( but then I am weird!¬).
I think it will difficult to keep a pixie cut girly enough - I never have forgotten being mistaken for a boy when I had short hair as a child :o.
the fringe, soft front layers is a good start but i'd prefer a really short bottom of ear bob graduated softly at the back!

So I don't venture here ever lol be gentle with me ;)

My 8 year old is desperate for a new style for the school term.

She currently has hair down to below her shoulder blades ( perhaps 18" or so? ) but is asking for a short cut akin to a pixie cut. I worry this will be a little much maintenance for us both - I would have to straighten it etc every day and don't want to damage her hair by using too much heat/product etc

Can anyone recommend a site or even a style for a child her age that ish't too grown up but also isn't a standard bob as she really doesn't want one at all.

I will try to find a pic of her so that you can see her face type and shape etc xx

Photo0001.jpg

Gorgeous little girl!- I agree with some above- keep her little as long as you can.

My daughter had hair as long as your daughters, gorgeous strawberry blonde- always getting lovely comments- she wanted the POB ( inspired by victoria beckham) as was then - went from right past her bra strap up to just below the chin!- loved it for a month but the novelty wore off quick!!- needed to be washed/ dryed/ or straightened to look good- hated just having one style - couldn't curl cos it just went too big n wide which she hated. It's taken her 4 1/2 long years to grow it back to where it was- she would never ever do it again!- but sometimes they gotta try it to see what it's like?- part of growing up I guess- hope you reach a happy outcome!. Xxx

my 7 year old have an inverted bob looks lovely on her

Latest posts

Back