Hair training courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyBee

Reaction score
Hi all

Im a beauty tech and really interested in training in hair.

Im too old for a apprentice scheme and really cannot go back to college as it just wouldnt suit my current situation.

My plan is to train and work mobile as i do with my beauty business.

I have narrowed myself down to one course in terms of price etc

http://www.uconcepthairacademy.co.uk/6-month-fast-track/

Can anyone please tell me if this worth doing? Any opinions, suggestions etc will really help.

Im.at a loss with all the info out there on hairdressing courses and really would value any thoughts.

Thanks all in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Bump

Hi there, I'm just messaging in response to you post regarding doing a hairdressing. Hairdressing is brilliant and an excellent service to add to your existing menu. The course looks good and your studying for an NVQ which is great.

Follow your heart/desire to do the hairdressing course. If your passionate about it go ahead you'll enjoy it!

I have recently done a hair cutting and blow drying course and absolutely loved it! I already do bridal hairstyling which I really enjoy. I too don't have the given time to attend college full time so fast track is my only option and it's the same for others like yourself.

Have a good think about it maybe call the course leader and gave a chat with them see what answers they have from your questions as it'll defiantly put your mind at rest. I hope that helps.

All the best !
Leonie

I'm sorry this may seem like I'm sinking your ship! But there is absolutely no way you can learn all that in 6 months and be good at what you are going to do especially if you are going to be working by yourself.

I've been qualified 12 years now and still ask for the opinion of the other stylists I work with.

Also just looking at the prices I think it's way too much I'm paying £3350 for my nvq level 3 at the moment.

I agree! You can't learn very much in 6 months and then go mobile, it takes years to become very confident in what you are doing, you need to go into a salon first and get as much knowledge as possible, I have worked in 5 different salons before I became a mobile hairdresser. If something goes wrong and you don't know what to do, when you are mobile you have no one to ask! You need to know how to correct anything that comes your way! X

If you read the advert attached to the web page, it says the guy qualified for an NVQ level 2 in 14 months and this with him working in his wife's salon full time as well.

Seriously, you can't become confident in cutting alone after 6 months plus an NVQ 2 only covers the basics of colour but if you need to do a colour correction, you will struggle especially if you're not working in a salon.

You can probably whizz through the theory for most of the NVQ2 but to be a good hairdresser requires hours of hands on practice.

Sorry I have to burst your bubble too :-(
No way will a 6 month basic course teach you enough to go it alone,
If day time courses are an issue, why not enquire about an evening course, it's 2 yrs long, but a few hrs a night instead of full time days, it's tough going tho to cram it all in, but worth taking the time to do it properly rather than a 6 month fast track :)

Really grateful for all the replies.

I really appreciate it

My main concern is that i have a young child and currently trying for a 2nd so really wanted to do a fast track course to manage between kids and a hectic family life.

I couldnt do a hnd as childcare long term would be an issue but could get help short term.for 6months or so.

I also wouldnt get any funding for courses so the idea is to qualify asap but with a quality establiahment.

So difficult trying to weigh it all up!!

Any other thoughts on it all will go a lpng way.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
There was a company that used to advertise on here, did fast track cutting and blow dry courses. Five days intensive. Had really good reviews. Might be better for your situation.

There was a company that used to advertise on here, did fast track cutting and blow dry courses. Five days intensive. Had really good reviews. Might be better for your situation.

Sorry to hijack but I wanted to ask about this.

I studied my level 2 17 years ago but had to leave approx 1 month before the end of my apprenticeship to have my daughter. I am now in a position that I cannot afford to go fast track as I work and run my business - the courses that you are talking about, can you do these as stand alone and then actually be able to cut hair and get insured?

Thats interesting.

Any idea what the training establiahments name was? Any clues?
Thanks xx

Think it was called the cobra academy. It used to advertise on here.

Sorry to hijack but I wanted to ask about this.

I studied my level 2 17 years ago but had to leave approx 1 month before the end of my apprenticeship to have my daughter. I am now in a position that I cannot afford to go fast track as I work and run my business - the courses that you are talking about, can you do these as stand alone and then actually be able to cut hair and get insured?
No idea. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back