Hairdresser changing career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freya92

Reaction score
Help!
I've been hairdressing for 10 years now and want a career change but stuck on where to go next. I don't enjoy hair any more and feel like I'm on a conveyer belt everyday with clients. Plus I've never been 100% confident in hair even in the 10 years and never having a complaint about my work. I always hear my colleagues talk about loving cutting peoples hair off and it just sets fear into me. Plus always felt hair dressing has never been right for me. I really like the sound of being a sales reprisentative for a product company as I love being on the move, meeting and helping people and get a buzz from selling. Im worried that because I've only done hairdressing that it will make it difficult to change to something else. Has any one been in a similar situation or who can offer some advice!
Thank you!

Hi Freya

I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. Also 10 years in hairdressing and have just fallen out of love with it. I have done other part time jobs in reception or admin whilst continuing with being mobile but it's too much stress. Also due to recent health issues I have decided to give it up.

I have been applying for full time roles similar to what I did part time. It sounds awful, but I can't wait to tell the clients that I don't like doing that I will no longer be doing hairdressing!

So I can imagine how you're feeling. Worst that can happen is that you try something new and it doesn't work out, at least you have your skill to fall back on.

Good luck xx

Help!
I've been hairdressing for 10 years now and want a career change but stuck on where to go next. I don't enjoy hair any more and feel like I'm on a conveyer belt everyday with clients. Plus I've never been 100% confident in hair even in the 10 years and never having a complaint about my work. I always hear my colleagues talk about loving cutting peoples hair off and it just sets fear into me. Plus always felt hair dressing has never been right for me. I really like the sound of being a sales reprisentative for a product company as I love being on the move, meeting and helping people and get a buzz from selling. Im worried that because I've only done hairdressing that it will make it difficult to change to something else. Has any one been in a similar situation or who can offer some advice!
Thank you!
So glad I've found your post ! I've been doing hair got over 20 years .. In the last 4 weeks I've had 2 mess ups with colours and I swear it's because I've lost it ! I've lost the love and passion for it ! To be even more honest I can't stand the thought of going to work and pretend I love it and try and do these balayages n ombres and never see my children and get pennies in return ! And to make it worse it's my salon end I can't just leave ! Sorry for the winging But going back to your post -yes go and get some good carrer that won't make you to dislike people ! you can always do hair on the side if you miss it! Good luck and post back and let us know what have you decided to do !

Latest posts

Back