Hairdressing course- Letting me down!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sally_09

Reaction score
Hiya im new, first post.

Ive recentley started my nvq level 2 course, its at an adult learning centre since im 19, but I started 3 weeks ago now for 3 days a week, most of the other learners there are 16-19 even though I was told it was an adult learning course! This dosent much bother me, but the majority are all very immature and loud and makes me wonder if I'll actually learn anything,

Ive been there 3 weeks now, first couple of days was icebreakers (getting to know the rest of the group), second week was an introduction about the course (units assesments etc) and again 'icebreakers'. Went in the third week feeling confident that we might actually start some work today, but no, last week was more 'icebreakers' group discussions and activites which consisted mostly of what the other students did at the weekend.

Im now really wary of this week- has anybody else had any problems like this at college? Did you have to do any icebreakers? Were the tutors more intrested in you making friends than the actual subject?

Its really getting me down, wondered if Ive stepped into the wrong course for me, is this what a hairdressing course is like all over? Or is it just my training provider? I havent even started hairdressing yet and ive already been put off- Im a quite shy person, ive never been to college before, and was excited at the prospect of starting this course and building up a career, to find that all the lessons were mostly of groups talking.

I want to go to college to learn- not make friends!! Are all college courses like this?! Is nvq level 2 mostly group talking, icebreakers & roleplays? Also, because im there 3days a week, will I have to find a placement in a hairdressing salon for the other 2 days of the week? Theres a salon at the centre but its very small- please help as the tutors havent mentioned anything!!

Thankyou

Sally J

Don't panic just yet! I've not done an NVQ but most courses start like this and although nerve wracking it does make sure everyone knows everyone else a little bit as you will be working on and with each other. You will need these skills to work on clients and as you are shy you will benefit more than you can imagine. Communication with your client is paramount and it is good to be put in this situation to practice. Everyone is probably as nervous as you and some people are loud when nervous. Wait and see what happens when the learning starts. Ask your tutor about finding placements they will help you, that's what they're there for. Working in a small salon would be better as you will get to know the hairdressers better and they will notice you more:hug:

Hi sally-09,
i totally understand your concerned as i myself (33) finished my nvq 2 in november and personally feel it was a waste of time as now i have finished i still know very little about colouring etc....I am booking up on lots of courses via capital etc... to improve on what little i have learnt at college. Now, i am not writing this post to put you off i am doing it as i wish i had known what to expect. You can imagine my horror when at our "icebreaker" i had to sit and listen to 2 people saying they are only doing the course because it was free and they got told if they didnt do something their benefits would be stopped, i didnt need to hear that just after I had paid alot of MY money to do this course. The class was full of 16-20 year olds that didnt want to learn a thing, i found it very sad that the spaces on these courses are filled up by people with this attitude of only doing oit because its free. All i can say is get stuck in and ask if they can fast track you through, i did mine in 1 year instead of 2, personally dont think i would of completed if i had to be there another year. Everything is repeated time and time again to allow for all the absentees to catch up constantly. Even the tutors were pulling their hair out. I did tell the college when i left that there is no way i would return to do level 3.
Really hope this hasnt put you off, but it is a very truthfull run down of what my experience was like.
I have now learnt more off websites like this than what i ever learnt actually at college.
sash x

Hi there,

I think you shoudl give the course a little more time before making a judgement about whether it's for you or not, especially before you've done any hair practice at all, and as above says, you may be shy and the classes are loud and lots of talking, but you do need to learn essential communication as the consultation and rapport with your future clients is paramount.

You will no doubt stand out in the course if you're serious about learning the trade, you can take part in the awards and competitions I'm sure they're likely to have and why not even try to get some work experience alongside, all of which will help you to excel. Once the practical elements of the course starts, if you're still feeling the same, speak to your tutor then and see what your options are (i.e. Fast Track etc)

Good luck!

MHD x x x

Latest posts

Back