Hairdressing heads for beginners and practicing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coley92

Reaction score
Hiya - I'm a nail tech and obviously I'm not working at the moment. I found a hair styling course on istudy that I want to do for fun just to fill some time and also because I have two daughters that will benefit. Can anyone recommend a practice head (cheap) so that I can have a little play around? I will learn 6 haircuts on this course and a bunch of braids too by the looks of it. What would you recommend?

You can buy them on eBay.

PLEASE Don’t waste money on a cheap online hairdressing course. You may as well throw your money out of the window.
You won’t learn how to cut hair properly and you’ll probably cut the skin on your fingers trying.

I DO RECOMMEND watching YouTube.
A lot of videos aren’t great and their cuts are dreadful and when you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s easy to get sucked in by their overconfident chat.

However, there are a few Excellent tutorials on there.
My go to for beginners would be...
Freesaloneducation.com

if your daughters have long hair, there are some fabulous long hair styling videos that are easy enough to follow. The key to long hair styling is to prep the hair beforehand.

enjoy! :)

Last edited:
A lot of cheap head blocks contain some synthetic hair which will melt if you try to colour it or use heat from a hairdryer or flat irons. Ok for very basic cutting practice but a waste of investment if you want to do long hair styles. A good long haired head block will last years and years and ideally look for 24inches for long hair styling

Better quality brands include... Sibel, PivotPoint,

https://www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.../training-heads/head-gear-training-head-22-24
my favourite one I use all the time.

https://www.salonsdirect.com/sibel-jennie-training-head

PLEASE Don’t waste money on a cheap online hairdressing course. You may as well throw your money out of the window.
You won’t learn how to cut hair properly and you’ll probably cut the skin on your fingers trying.

I DO RECOMMEND watching YouTube.
A lot of videos aren’t great and their cuts are dreadful and when you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s easy to get sucked in by their overconfident chat.

However, there are a few Excellent tutorials on there.
My go to for beginners would be...
Freesaloneducation.com

if your daughters have long hair, there are some fabulous long hair styling videos that are easy enough to follow. The key to long hair styling is to prep the hair beforehand.

enjoy! :)

Hiya thanks for both of your replies. I signed up for the istudy course, it was £8.99 and I expect it to be worth about as much, it's just for a bit of fun really. I hadn't heard of that website so thank you for recommending I'll definitely have a look

A lot of cheap head blocks contain some synthetic hair which will melt if you try to colour it or use heat from a hairdryer or flat irons. Ok for very basic cutting practice but a waste of investment if you want to do long hair styles. A good long haired head block will last years and years and ideally look for 24inches for long hair styling

Better quality brands include... Sibel, PivotPoint,

https://www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.../training-heads/head-gear-training-head-22-24
my favourite one I use all the time.

https://www.salonsdirect.com/sibel-jennie-training-head

Can you refill the hair on these or are they done when they're done?

Can you refill the hair on these or are they done when they're done?

Once they’re cut, that’s it.

However, I recommend you spend the time practising long hair styling.
If you discover you have a flair for it, you could consider offering Bridal and Prom hair styling in the future?

There are loads of styling videos on YouTube that you could watch and copy.

Latest posts

Back