Hand, foot and mouth disease

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missty25

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks to my gorgeous 3 year old I now have the above!

Problem is I work in a hospital at weekends for elderly patients and don't know whether I should go in or not. I feel ok just got a very sore blistered mouth. I guess I don't want to be responsible for a breakout in the hospital. Some of the patients are frail and don't drink enough as it is nevermind if they were to catch this and if it affected them eating and drinking even more.

Just wonder what others would do? I'm hardly ever off but can't decide what to do for the best.

I suspect if I ask my boss the opinion would be to come in regardless of whether it might have an impact on the patients. I'm not a patient handler but work in the kitchen and dining area.

Opinions appreciated.
X

Hi!
Sorry to hear you've caught it. As you've now discovered it's VERY contagious. And congagious for 7-10 days after you first get it.

No, no, no please stay away from work whilst you have it.

I would strongly advise you not to go to work - particularly with elderly, vulnerable people. They really don't want it :(

Here's a link to the official NHS word....
Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease - Introduction - NHS Choices

It tells you about prevention. If you want the official word, I'd call NHS Direct and a nurse will tell you what to do.

But for the safety of your patients, I would miss work for the weekend.

Thank you for your reply, that's exactly how I feel about it, I definitely don't want to be responsible for making already frail patients more unwell.

:) No problem. I hope you feel better soon.

I agree with Cynthia... I wouldn't go in either.

I hope you get better soon :hug:

Thanks Geeks, my little one was really unwell with it, but I don't feel too bad, just my mouth feels like its on fire, lol. x

Latest posts

Back