Has anyone ever fainted while massaging?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addysmum

Reaction score
I am working in a spa, I am only there a few weeks and today while doing an IHM I started to feel dizzy and then all of a sudden my face felt flushed and before I knew it I was on the floor.
I was so embarrassed, and felt terrible for the client, how relaxing was that!
Has this ever happened to any massage therapist before? I'm scared it will happen again.
I went to see my GP and all is fine, no BP problems or anything like that.
I wasn't hungry or tired or over heated really, the room is warm but no warmer than usual. I had plenty of water before I started.
I am kind of at a loss as to why this happened. Any advice?

What music was playing ?
What essential oils were you using ?
Were you wearing shoes ?
Where you standing or sitting ?

What music was playing ?
What essential oils were you using ?
Were you wearing shoes ?
Where you standing or sitting ?
Hi there,
The spa music was playing, just the usual relaxation type of spa music. I didn't have any oils in the massage oil, I had put some geranium, lavender, rosewood and sweet orange in a burner earlier in the morning. I was wearing shoes and I was seated for the head part of the massage.

I’ve felt faint, but not actually fainted However I was dehydrated and hadn’t had any lunch

I’ve felt faint, but not actually fainted However I was dehydrated and hadn’t had any lunch
Yeah I had eaten and had plenty of water beforehand so very strange.

Spa work is so physically hard. I have never feinted but I think it's a thing where it can happen. I used to eat sweets between clients. Not ideal but felt necessary sometimes.

Reason I asked about shoes is I always do massage without shoes to ground myself. Some client's energy fields are such that they can drain you completely just by touching them. Hence I take shoes off so the energy flows off me.

Yes it sounds stupid and holistic etc and I am not a hippie but I do believe it helps . Just try it love ! Xxxxx

I fainted once whilst giving an IHM. It was a mobile job in a hotel and I felt like a right twonk but the client didn't notice and even gave me a tip!
I did some research afterwards and it looks as though IHM can lower your blood pressure. I was also having a busy day on my feet and was probably a bit dehydrated too.

So....did another Indian head massage today and felt funny again, didn't faint thank goodness but just felt very strange.
I think maybe you are on to something with regards the energy. I wouldn't be hugely into that kind of thing myself but definitely feel it with some people.
Are there any sort of grounding exercises I could do beforehand as I would not be able to massage bare foot in the spa.
I really appreciate all your replies, thanks everyone.

It's less than ideal from a holistic perspective but in terms of the ergonomics of it, I would often daydream very proactively when giving massage treatments. What's for dinner? Wasn't that a funny joke my mate told me tother day? Etc. Anything to stop me drifting off to be honest.

It's less than ideal from a holistic perspective but in terms of the ergonomics of it, I would often daydream very proactively when giving massage treatments. What's for dinner? Wasn't that a funny joke my mate told me tother day? Etc. Anything to stop me drifting off to be honest.

I always do this! Otherwise I feel funny after giving massages

So....did another Indian head massage today and felt funny again, didn't faint thank goodness but just felt very strange.
I.

I worked for 8 years with holistic massage centre in a hotel and these ladies in their 60's are still working giving the best massages you ever have in your life , despite their age ! They taught me so much I can't actually explain over a text the years of advise they gave me constantly.

They explained energy fields to me, which I am quite anti wierd things being from a very regimented background; I have since changed my thinking somewhat now over the years.
Just try take your shoes off during the massage, client won't even know unless your having clunking boots etc.
most massage spas all over Eastern and sis have no shoes on, have you ever been to India or Thailand? All no shoes. Even the African runga massages have no shoes.
Then imagine/ visualize in your head all the stories and energy you got with each client , place that in a bag or packet and place that at the door or bin as you walk out the salon.
It takes practice initially but now I do it without a half second time. And that helps you "leave behind" other people's rubbish.
Is one of the many bits of advise my fellow masseur gave me .

I worked for 8 years with holistic massage centre in a hotel and these ladies in their 60's are still working giving the best massages you ever have in your life , despite their age ! They taught me so much I can't actually explain over a text the years of advise they gave me constantly.

They explained energy fields to me, which I am quite anti wierd things being from a very regimented background; I have since changed my thinking somewhat now over the years.
Just try take your shoes off during the massage, client won't even know unless your having clunking boots etc.
most massage spas all over Eastern and sis have no shoes on, have you ever been to India or Thailand? All no shoes. Even the African runga massages have no shoes.
Then imagine/ visualize in your head all the stories and energy you got with each client , place that in a bag or packet and place that at the door or bin as you walk out the salon.
It takes practice initially but now I do it without a half second time. And that helps you "leave behind" other people's rubbish.
Is one of the many bits of advise my fellow masseur gave me .
Thank you for that advice. I definitely think I need to start having some sort of way of "letting go" of other people's energy etc. Today I had a woman who's son died and when I got home I just cried and cried. I feel so emotional, like I could feel her sadness. I don't want to pick up other people's "stuff" but feel I'm not being authentic if I just daydream and don't pay attention to them...I need to find a balance as this is coming not only physically exhausting but emotionally draining too.

Yes but it comes with time x

I was always taught to imagine myself in a bubble to protect myself and zip myself up, sounds really weird I know but have definitely found that it helps

Yeah Skin&tonic. Me too.
(I’ve got enough worries if my own, without getting burdened with a client’s!) Lol

When doing an IHM, the point where I'm sat working on the head, oh my gosh. I have to talk to myself to keep myself awake as I feel my eyes going because it relaxes me too! It is all about the clients energies, because you are working so close to them. I always keep a small boiled sweet in the room in case I am feeling like this to bring me back up. This happens to a lot of my therapist friends too when doing IHM.

I am working in a spa, I am only there a few weeks and today while doing an IHM I started to feel dizzy and then all of a sudden my face felt flushed and before I knew it I was on the floor.
I was so embarrassed, and felt terrible for the client, how relaxing was that!
Has this ever happened to any massage therapist before? I'm scared it will happen again.
I went to see my GP and all is fine, no BP problems or anything like that.
I wasn't hungry or tired or over heated really, the room is warm but no warmer than usual. I had plenty of water before I started.
I am kind of at a loss as to why this happened. Any advice?
Hey.

Have you had a busy couple of weeks?Generally spa rooms are quite warm. You may be use to it and not realise. When your massaging your generating more heat internally, so i feel it may be the heat. In my early years of spa work i had alot of different issues..including feeling faint, back problems, headaches...the list continues.

I came away from spa work. I dont think its a job that gives back. Your overworked,underpaid and generally no really cares about your general wellbeing. This may not be your case but iv had upto 8hours of massage in one day before...and only response i had from management was "but the clients have already booked now..itl look unprofessional to turn them away at such short notice"..i was in agony by the end of the day...i was too young at the time to say no im not doing this!! Please dont be taken advantage of. No job should be making you ill.

Please dont worry about the client. Their human aswell and was proberly more concerned about you than her massage.

You really have to put your health and wellbeing first in the Beauty Industry to do it long term. I did it for over 10years full time straight and had to be very straight forward with what i would and what i wouldnt put up with...unfortunatly some businesses do take advantage of you.

Please look after yourself and dont settle for less than what your worth.

Top tips!!
Always keep hydrated, eat wholesome energy filled meals on work days and always stretch before any treatment. Your hands/wrists and back are your main concern. And one last thing treat yourself to a treatment once per month to relax...after all you deserve it girl!

Hey.

Have you had a busy couple of weeks?Generally spa rooms are quite warm. You may be use to it and not realise. When your massaging your generating more heat internally, so i feel it may be the heat. In my early years of spa work i had alot of different issues..including feeling faint, back problems, headaches...the list continues.

I came away from spa work. I dont think its a job that gives back. Your overworked,underpaid and generally no really cares about your general wellbeing. This may not be your case but iv had upto 8hours of massage in one day before...and only response i had from management was "but the clients have already booked now..itl look unprofessional to turn them away at such short notice"..i was in agony by the end of the day...i was too young at the time to say no im not doing this!! Please dont be taken advantage of. No job should be making you ill.

Please dont worry about the client. Their human aswell and was proberly more concerned about you than her massage.

You really have to put your health and wellbeing first in the Beauty Industry to do it long term. I did it for over 10years full time straight and had to be very straight forward with what i would and what i wouldnt put up with...unfortunatly some businesses do take advantage of you.

Please look after yourself and dont settle for less than what your worth.

Top tips!!
Always keep hydrated, eat wholesome energy filled meals on work days and always stretch before any treatment. Your hands/wrists and back are your main concern. And one last thing treat yourself to a treatment once per month to relax...after all you deserve it girl!

I love this post so much! I wholeheartedly agree. Sounds like we've worked at the same spa lol! In reality a lot of them are like this. It's such a shame really.

I love this post so much! I wholeheartedly agree. Sounds like we've worked at the same spa lol! In reality a lot of them are like this. It's such a shame really.

Isnt it every therapists dream to open a salon/spa that actually looks after its staff. Im just disheartend by my experiences. I got told by an ex employer that salons and spas really dont make that much money after you have paid staff, re stocked and invested in other bits like marketing..if thats the case why bother continuing with the business...needless stress on everyone.

Personally i havnt really met any owner that has been any different and the thing is you will work your ass off and feel so unsatisfied.My dream is to open a salon that gives back to its staff daily.It doesnt have to be the world fanciest salon just an affordable place that i can give back..i mean happy staff, happy clients,happy business.

Thats the way it should be.

Latest posts

Back