Has anyone gone into hairdressing later in life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma193

Reaction score
Always quite fancied it from school went into beauty at around 26 and now nearly 30 and considering hairdressing. I have no commitments so no better time but is it harder to get into the industry a bit later? X

I'll be honest with you I've taken on a 30 year old and she's learning she's reliable willing and eager to to learn. I've never heard her come in and talk to colleagues about how drunk she's got the night before unlike an apprentice that I took on arrived always 10mins late smelt of alcohol and fags and always spoke to fellow workers in front of clients about how drunk she got the night before. I got to say I got the apprentice out with a fortnight. Give me an older more mature person anyday. I need people who are gonna be on the ball all the time. I deal with a high end of celebrity clientele and don't have teen talk out on the floor I like maturity and pleasantness so your never too old GO FOR IT and don't let age hold you back your young.

Thanks for your reply. I feel that now I'm slightly older I know where I want to be in life and what I would like to achieve so therefore the determination is there and I would be completely committed x

Hello, I,m the same i always wanted to be a hardresser when leaving school and let other people talk me out of becoming one. After working for BMW fo 10 years and being made redundant I decided to just go for it at the age of 39 decided to go back to college, I,m now doing my nvq 3 and loving it it,s a great skill to have as you can always earn money. My goal is to work for myself so just doing 1 day a week in salon. The way i look at it is that you may have to work till your 65 so you my do something you enjoy. So don,t let age hold you back just go for it. Good luck

Good for you, your right it's a long life ahead of you if you regret your choices. I'm going to get saving to start next September x

Had a lady in her 50s in my fast track level 2 and then level 3 class with no previous experience whos now renting a chair in a salon - can be done! :)

Also would you say it's completely necessary to Level 3? I intend to work for myself eventually, possibly mobile x

mmm i definately wouldnt have felt level 2 alone would have been enough for me, the practical covered the very basics when it came to cutting and colouring - 4 basic cuts, and again the colouring wasnt too indepth whereas level 3 the cutting unit covered 6 styles and was alot more creative and the colouring unit covered more techniques aswell as the all important colour correction (just think of all those ladies and their botched home box dye jobs!!)

I see, I think it's a definite then. It's pointless being partly trained x

After discussing this with a few people recently I have had nothing but negative comments, so called friends saying "by the time you qualify you'll be getting on for 33, that's far too old for a career change" sod it I will be applying anyway :)

After discussing this with a few people recently I have had nothing but negative comments, so called friends saying "by the time you qualify you'll be getting on for 33, that's far too old for a career change" sod it I will be applying anyway :)

Don't listen Hun do what you want to do!!! Xxx

I think 30 is still do able. Remember that hairdressing is a physical job, and people struggle from mid forties onwards with the physical toll it takes on your body.
I had the most wonderful 51 year old stylist who had to give up as she just couldnt do it anymore.

Sod them, I have just started my Level 2 in Hairdressing and I am 29 years old. I love it but I won't lie to you it's a lot harder retraining when your older but if your determinded to do it, you can do anything you want to do. I plan to get a voluntary one day a week and may have to take a junior position next year with apprentice wage as I do my Level 3. My friends have been nothing but supportive which has helped.

Hi, You should def go for it!!!
I am 31 and have just started my level 2 training and love it. I have two children aged 13 and 5 and I wish I could of retrained years ago but had lots of negativity even from colleges sayig I was too old!
But Ive now found an excellent training academy and I am really enjoying it.
I even get exited about a blowdry!!!!!
Where ae you based? I can give you the college details if you like.
Good luck xxx

I'm based in Coventry, there are a couple of colleges local that offer the mature learners course, I just wish I'd have applied for this year. Thank you all for your encouragement, it's certainly helped me make my mind up!! xx

I trained when I was 16. Passed my exams and attained my certificate. Carried on for a few years then decided I didn't want to do it anymore.
(BIG MISTAKE)

I'm now 42 and is learning again and I love it. As long as your physically fit and have the passion, you should have no problem.

All the best of luck to you.

:biggrin:
x

Your never too old too learn!!! If you think about it your not even half way through your life, so why not have a career change? I've put my name down for nvq2 fast track hairdressing by then I will be 29, I've just passed my nail course and I'm hoping to do a few more courses by the time I start hairdressing next year so I can still work in the evenings. Go for it hun, and Good luck xx

Thank you ladies, I currently work as an assistant manager supplying to hairdressers and beauty therapists and my desire to work in the industry has never gone away. I have trained in beauty including spray tanning, Hollywood lashes, gel nails but the desire to learn hairdressing is always there in the back of my mind xx

Hun go for it!! I will be 28 by the time I finish my training, im a mum of 3 girls, iv had my family, got married and now it is time for my career, time for me to shine! I really think age can be an advantage sometimes, life experience definitely goes a long way xx

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

You really should try not to listen to other peoples views as they are not you and they prob have no great interest in hairdressing anyway.
What i,ve learnt to do in my life is not even ask people as some people are narrow minded and negative and i don,t want to hear what they have to say i suppose because i fear what they could say is negitive and it will put me off.
I think alot of people think when you get older you should be in ur slippers drinking coco, and if you listen to them you will be.
No one can say this job will be to much for you as it,s too demanding any job you could say that about we all have to work so is,nt it better you love doing what ur doing instead of being in a job that is soo boring and dull.Everyone needs there hair doing and they are all diffrent ages so you,ll always have work
Just go for it at least you can say i gave it by best shoot instead of saying what if? xx goodluck hun and BELIEVE in you as if you don,t no-one else will.

Latest posts

Back