Has anyone used Groupon or any other deal a day websites before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilymoulton

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

I am studying Beauty and Spa Management at university and I'm writing my dissertation about the effects of Groupon on the beauty industry and would really appreciate it if you could fill out my questionnaire! The questionnaire is mainly from the client point of view but if any of you have used Groupon or Wahanda etc for your businessesd I would love to hear your view on them also.

1. What have your experiences been with Groupon or other sites??

2. What treatments are you most likely to purchase through Groupon or other sites? (Massage, waxing etc.)

3. Which treatments are you least likely to purchase through Groupon or other sites? And why?

4. Are you likely to return to the same salon or spa paying full price?

5. When you visit a salon or spa through Groupon or other website are you likely to purchase anything extra, such as retail products?

6. Which website do you use more often, (Groupon, Wahanda, Wowcher, Vouchercloud etc.) and why?

Thank you so so much if you could fill this out for me! Finding it super tough to find answers from my facebook friends as most of them don't even know what a beauty salon is!

xxx

As a salon owner I think these deal sites have wrecked the beauty industry.

I did a Groupon deal and nearly every client was a nightmare. They would cancel at short notice and expect me to allow them to re use their voucher and so on.

After an unpleasant 6 months running a Groupon offer I decided to remove myself from any deal sites completely.

Just another point of view.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've used wahanda in my business but found that my regular clients started booking through it and I'd then have to pay wahanda 20% of the treatment that the client would of had anyway so I was losing out. I cancelled it in the end.

My view from a client perspective is that if a salon is on groupon I don't want to use them as it makes me think they are desperate for business. I'd rather pay more for a decent treatment. The only things I use it for are afternoon teas or hotel deals.

Hope that helps! Xx

Me too, I think salons who use these sites are desperate too build up clients however the people who buy them are probably never going too buy again and are only purchasing because cheap. I use them but just for hotel deals and afternoon teas and too try out a new restaurant xxxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used Groupon last year, never again! I offered a full body aromatherapy massage with indian head (treatments that don't cost very much to do just my time) normally this would cost £67.00 Groupon sold it for £20 and I think my cut was only £8.00 so definitely not worth it on the money side however I have got a few clients out of it who are now regulars
But I wouldn't do it again there is a salon not far from me who are constantly on Groupon (really don't know how they are making money) but it would deter me from visiting I imagine that Deal Site salons are get you in get you out asap ready for the next one so from a consumer side I wouldn't buy of deal sites

Groupon phoned me the other day the guy sounded so disinterested it put me off further! He wanted me to take on over 100 new massage clients knowing that it was just me working in the salon thats over 100 hours of massage for peanuts told him where to go cheeky git

I've only used groupon a few times.
Had a meal deal ( that was good)
had 3 hair cuts ( 2 were attroious the third one became my regular hairdressers until they went bust )

Also had quite the worst massage and facial I've ever had.......

in a freezing portacabin, rock hard couch..awful.

Have answered your questions specifically to make it easier for you to collate your information as having done these types of surveys myself as part of my degree I know how hard it is to get responses hope this helps!

1. I have used the sites as a customer before but never been overly impressed with product or service, felt rushed etc. I have never used for a beauty service though and would never run a deal as think it would be running at a loss and don't really need the advertising as already established.

2. If I had to choose Possibly massage

3. Nails, lashes or hair as feel these have the greatest potential to go wrong and would be frightened of being rushed or being dumped on the least experienced person.

4. If the service was amazing yes as I would definitely be happy to pay more for quality.

5. Probably not

6. Groupon. Just because it is the one I have heard of the most.

1. I occasionally use Groupon and Wowcher. Not quite sure what you mean by experiences with the sites, if you mean with the sites themselves, I find them easy to use, though the numerous daily e-mails are annoying and I've unsubscribed from those.

2. If I were to purchase a treatment it would most likely be something like a nail polish/manicure/shellac treatment or a make-up session.

3. I'd be least likely to (i.e. I absolutely wouldn't) purchase semi-permenant make up, or any kind of treatment where I thought that getting it wrong could do some real damage!

4. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. In my experience the places that advertise on Groupon, etc, end up ALWAYS having some kind of offer on. A nail salon near me has been doing shellac for £9 on Groupon for about six months now, I doubt I'd want to go there and pay full price.

5. No. If I saw something I wanted to purchase I'd research the cheapest place to get it and probably order online.

6. Groupon and Wowcher - no others - because all of these type of sites are much of a muchness and quite often the same deals with the same companies/salons feature on lots of different sites.

I have used groupon once and only for mani and pedi . It has gained me loads of new clients . It doesn't make you money but has filled quiet spots . And let people know about my salon .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have done loads of these. Which have added value to my business. What do you need to know?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

It is all about up selling and getting the client on board take there email address and rebook them sell products ext can work well x

Latest posts

Back