Have question for Canadian techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengalkat

Reaction score
What are the requirements for becoming licensed in Canada?
TIA
Michele

Hi Michele!!!!

Welcome to the site.I'm pretty new too.Both to the site and being a nail tech.I read both of your threads.I'm in London Ontario.It's about 2 hrs. southwest of TO.All we need here is our certificate of completion.I don't know if you would have to do anything different because you did your course in the US.Hopefully it will be enough.

Good Luck with everything
:lol:

Hi there!!
I'm from Ontario Canada too, (just 70 miles north of TO) and just taking the Essential Nail airbrush course from www.ginawallace.com! I just love this course, and will be getting a certificate in airbrushing if I pass!! Is this certificate going to be enough to be able to purchase airbrushing stuff at a private beauty supply? Just wondering?
Jan :)

Hi Jan,

Good question.I'm not 100% sure.:rolleyes:
Are you taking a full nail course or is this just for airbrushing?If it's the full nail course then it's fine.What you might want to do is call a few of the beauty supplies and ask what they require for purchasing supplies.Let them know what certificate you will be issued when you pass.They are usually pretty good with letting you know what is needed.
Good Luck with it!!!

hi i looked into this as we are hopefully gonna move out there , its different in every state , ie in calgary,alberta you dont have to be licensed (or so i was informed ) which is where we will hopefully move to, other areas require certification though heres a website that might help
www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca
hope it helps you a bit dee x

Hi there,
It actually varies from province to province. Check this link out.

http://www.cabccanada.com/cms_docs/certification%20-%20provincialstandards.pdf

In BC, it says licensing is not required. They took it away a few years ago however, the law is now coming back. They just haven't published all the details out because they're working through them. Check that link out on a regular basis and it should be updated. HTH

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for the link.I'll be bookmarking that one.
I moved from BC last year,but might be moving back this year.What part of BC are you from?
Thanks again!!

I live in Invermere...by Fairmont Hot Springs. Where are you from?

In Langley.About 45 min outside Vancouver.We had just puchased a new townhouse,and then about 8 months later my husband took a job out here in London Ontario.

Oh that sucks!! Barely anytime in the new house. I bet you miss the ocean!

I do miss it,but not as much as I thought I would.We were just back there at the end of January for a visit.It was pretty crazy trying to fit in all the visits with friends and family.:grr:
So we'll see what happens with moving back?
I noticed that you use the akzentz line.I'm just waiting for my "try me kit" to arrive.I was trained with star nail products, but I'm not liking my options for a whiter free edge.So I thought akzentz would be a good try.
How do you like the product?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I never have any problems with it so it's all I use. I've never used Star but honestly, I haven't heard the greatest things about it. I can't really have an opinion though because like I said, I haven't tried it. ;) You'll fall in love with the product when you get it! If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM myself or Lana who is an educator for the line. She's very helpful!!

thanks Carmen, that would be great.:biggrin:
actually I had started a thread of which gel system to try.either akzentz or brisa.it seemed that i would be spending more money on the brisa system.Lana had actually written a post so I got the chance to ask her a few questions.
i'm really looking forward to it.i'm sure i will definitely have questions.
thanks again!!!

Hi Michelle!
I should have all my hours here in Washington state by the end of this month. Here in Washington we are required to get 600 hours. Then we have to take practicals in a city about two hours from here and then pass the written exam and then we have to go to our state capital and get our license and then to the department of motor vehicles for a picture for the license. Of course each step costs more money. LOL We learn acrylic, gel, wraps, minimal nail art and all the basics (manicuring and pedicuring, etc.)
The reason I was asking is this...my dh is a project manager for a construction company. He's had someone approach him about a large job that will be in Toronto. We honestly don't know what our feelings are about it at this point. He really needs to talk to them more and see how serious they are about him, etc. BUT, I figured I'd see what getting licensed in Canada (Toronto specifically) might entail just because I'm curious.
Michele

michark said:
Hi Jan,

Good question.I'm not 100% sure.:rolleyes:
Are you taking a full nail course or is this just for airbrushing?If it's the full nail course then it's fine.What you might want to do is call a few of the beauty supplies and ask what they require for purchasing supplies.Let them know what certificate you will be issued when you pass.They are usually pretty good with letting you know what is needed.
Good Luck with it!!!
there are cheaper ways of obtaining your airbrush equipment I'm from the U.S. and i found that instead of buying a complete system from someone that it more economical for me to go art supplier and the carry brushes and compressor that gear toward nail,bod and tanning try these links http://www.bearair.com and http://www.dixiieartsupply.com not get away from your original question it was just an FYI.

What product do you not like with Star Nail? What didn't you like about it?
I use the star nail uv acrylic and have never tried any other odorless system as I cannot stand the smell of the tradional acrylic. Would love some opinions on Star.
Thanks,

aj

jandaly said:
Hi there!!
I'm from Ontario Canada too, (just 70 miles north of TO) and just taking the Essential Nail airbrush course from www.ginawallace.com! I just love this course, and will be getting a certificate in airbrushing if I pass!! Is this certificate going to be enough to be able to purchase airbrushing stuff at a private beauty supply? Just wondering?
Jan :)

Most beauty supply stores accross canada require that you have a hairdresser or esthetic/nail tech license in order to purchase their products.

Latest posts

Back