Have you ever just had to say no to a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoriabar

Reaction score
Hi Nailers,
I'm at a quandary with one of my clients and am thinking of putting my foot down and just saying no!!

She came in just before Christmas to have a full set of L&P done.

A quick bit of background.. She is a 15yr NSS client and had explained that due to personal reasons she's had no enhancements for two months but previously within that 15yrs she'd completely lost fingernails over thinning nail plates, countless times been cut, bled and every time suffered sore to the touch nail plates.
Her nails were flat, some dipped and mostly all ridged.

So back to Christmas time.. She asked me for china whites. I assumed these were sculpted white tips but she explained they were white tips glued on and acrylic over with a gel topcoat (?)
I did a visual consultation of her nails and explained that due to her nail plates only being 5mm long I wouldn't be able to stick a white tip to her nail as all she'd have left of her nail plate was the lunula area..

She replied saying that's exactly what she has done at the NSS
And also she has them full nail tip length.

Thankfully I talked her into blended tips, I sculpted the white and gave her normal looking nails with a longer looking nail bed but she still wanted full length tips.
I explained about the differences in expectation of L&P to NSS stuff and also about the length of her nails and longevity of her enhancements due to length and nail condition.
I also explained the reasons why I wouldn't send her off with only a lunula sized bed showing.

She came back to me a week later with the thumb totally popped off.
I replaced like for like.

Anyway I get a txt come through this week saying she wants a complete new set now as every nail had fallen off and she is insistent on having the NSS style china whites with no nail bed showing..

Would you give her what she wants?
Even knowing that your handy work in tip placement would look IMO ****e?

She refuses to believe her nails are that damaged that them holding anything for any length of time is true due to these NSS nails that never came off.
Is it me? My application?
I've returning customers of L&P for infils so know my non NSS customers are fine.

How would you deal with her?

I appreciate anyone's opinions in this matter.

Cheers lovelies.

I had a client ask for exactly the same thing just before New Year. White tips, only lunula showing, no length cut off... EW.

I point blank refused and explained why I wouldn't do it. It would be dangerous (she has a 1yo), they wouldn't last, it looks ugly (yes I told her that) etc etc.

She got in a strop and I said I'd do naturals with a sculpted French just past her fingertip or nothing at all. She agreed, decided on a holo silver glitter french but was umming and aahing about them all the way through. She loved the finished result but "it's not what she's used to".

She paid and tipped me and left (with a smile on her face). She hasn't been back but then she only gets enhancements for a special occasion anyway. I feel I did the right thing and if she came back asking for ugly white tips stuck low down I'd refuse once again. I know you want to help your lady but she's being unrealistic - if she wants what the NSS give her, let her go back. You can't please all of the people all of the time... Maybe when she realises the quality and beauty of your work she will be back, cap in hand.

Xxx

I personally would not do them, I had one client after doing her nails 3 times I refused, the last time I visited I soaked what was left off and said goodbye as she picked some of them off each time damaging her nais badly and demanded new ones (free) I new this would continue as she said she always picked off and never soaked and never had infills, I was hoping to educate but didn't work and I wasn't going to be responsible for her destroying her nails. She was 16 and her mum wasn't helpful in educating either.

Sometimes you just can't tell people and if you do not want to do nails you feel and know will look rubbish then don't, I'd rather refuse than have someone slate my work for looking **** :)

Jmo

you are the professional and you know that how she wants her nails are not right. you have explained this already. if she has stopped going to the NSS because of nails hurting, thinning etc explain that this is all part of THEIR process but not yours and if that is what she wants she should go back.

Do you really want to give again against what you know and let this client walk around town with the nails you described and tell people that you did them?? I certainly wouldnt, that be my reputation on the linexxx

Latest posts

Back